The Tom Selleck Thread

For discussions about the cast & crew, including guest stars

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

litefoot
Vice Admiral

Re: The Tom Selleck Thread

#1081 Post by litefoot »

Another interview, this time with Yahoo Entertainment.

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/tom ... 34176.html

litefoot
Vice Admiral

#1082 Post by litefoot »

An exclusive interview with Country Living.

https://www.countryliving.com/life/ente ... interview/

His media appearances have dried up over the last few days so maybe he's taking a break? No Colbert, Fallon or Kimmel yet.

Here's last week's Entertainment Tonight interview, again, but on youtube this time.

youtu.be/rQ6-ULNayvQ

Pahonu
Robin's Nest Expert Extraordinaire

#1083 Post by Pahonu »

Don’t want to spoil anything, but the prologue is quite a story, though quite in keeping with his personal character as an introductory choice. Then he jumps straight to his time in college at SC.

Luther's nephew Dobie
Fleet Admiral

#1084 Post by Luther's nephew Dobie »

Pahonu wrote: Sun May 12, 2024 10:25 pm Don’t want to spoil anything, but the prologue is quite a story, though quite in keeping with his personal character as an introductory choice. Then he jumps straight to his time in college at SC.
I'll be curious to hear if Tom shares which Magnum PI episodes are his favorites and why.

Am I wrong or did Larry have a podcast? Would love to see Tom show up on it.

ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan)
Fleet Admiral

#1085 Post by ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) »

Luther's nephew Dobie wrote: Wed May 15, 2024 3:46 am
Pahonu wrote: Sun May 12, 2024 10:25 pm Don’t want to spoil anything, but the prologue is quite a story, though quite in keeping with his personal character as an introductory choice. Then he jumps straight to his time in college at SC.
I'll be curious to hear if Tom shares which Magnum PI episodes are his favorites and why.
See? That's the kind of stuff that I REALLY want to read and would grab the book in a jiffy. Unfortunately I doubt he'll get into his favorite episodes. Doesn't sound like that kind of book. :?

litefoot
Vice Admiral

#1086 Post by litefoot »

ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) wrote: Wed May 15, 2024 5:49 am
See? That's the kind of stuff that I REALLY want to read and would grab the book in a jiffy. Unfortunately I doubt he'll get into his favorite episodes. Doesn't sound like that kind of book. :?
Got my copy from Amazon UK on Monday - they'd dropped the price to £11. Also bought that Daily Telegraph magazine. There are a few copies floating around ebay UK if you're interested.

I haven't looked at the book yet - no index, so i can't check to see which page he discusses favourite episodes on!

Luther's nephew Dobie
Fleet Admiral

#1087 Post by Luther's nephew Dobie »

litefoot wrote: Wed May 15, 2024 11:56 am
Got my copy from Amazon UK on Monday - they'd dropped the price to £11. Also bought that Daily Telegraph magazine. There are a few copies floating around ebay UK if you're interested.
I haven't looked at the book yet - no index, so i can't check to see which page he discusses favourite episodes on!
litefoot,
I hate it when publishers can't be bothered with an index, my ex-publisher/editor father would have been railing at the laziness and false economy of doing so.

Ivan,
We don't know yet that Tom didn't list his favourite episodes. Like litefoot above I left the "u" in favorite as my Aussie buddies keep lecturing me on "Americans
curious habit" of leaving the "u" out of words like "harbour", backing it up with supposedly expert linguistic jargon that is far above my pay grade.
They are hoping Selleck has a chapter on "Quigley Down Under" which is quite popular there.
My friend Barbara from NSW always wonders if the onscreen chemistry Tom had with co-star Laura San Giacomo was indicative of a relationship off screen,
which I reject as he was married to Jillie Mack by that time and that sort of thing doesn't reflect who Selleck is.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
“When you go down in deep water, you’re scared. You don’t know how scared you can be. Soon, you forget. But the reef never forgets. It just waits.”
— Gilbert Roland as Mike Petrakis (Beneath the 12-Mile Reef)
Last edited by Luther's nephew Dobie on Thu May 16, 2024 6:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

Pahonu

#1088 Post by Pahonu »

Luther's nephew Dobie wrote: Wed May 15, 2024 4:49 pm
litefoot wrote: Wed May 15, 2024 11:56 am
litefoot,
I hate it when publishers can't be bothered with an index, my ex-publisher/editor father would have been railing at the laziness and false economy of doing so.

Ivan,
We don't know yet that Tom didn't list his favourite episodes. Like litefoot above I left the "u" in favorite as my Aussie buddies keep lecturing me on "Americans
curious habit" of leaving the "u" out of words like "harbour", backing it up with supposedly expert linguistic jargon that is far above my pay scale.
They are hoping Selleck has a chapter on "Quigley Down Under" which is quite popular there.
My friend Barbara from NSW always wonders if the onscreen chemistry Tom had with co-star Laura San Giacomo was indicative of a relationship off screen,
which I reject as he was married to Jillie Mack by that time and that sort of thing doesn't reflect who Selleck is.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
“When you go down in deep water, you’re scared. You don’t know how scared you can be. Soon, you forget. But the reef never forgets. It just waits.”
— Gilbert Roland as Mike Petrakis (Beneath the 12-Mile Reef)
Again, I don’t want to spoil anything for anyone, but the book is largely about two things: his rise in the industry from his first commercials during college and his early acting jobs that didn’t go very far until his guest appearances on Rockford, and then his work on MPI. The last chapter is about MPI coming to an end and the epilogue follows. I figure he thought most people want to know about his time on MPI and are aware of his career after that. This isn’t a complete history of his career and I’m sad to say that his admirers in Oz may be disappointed. We fans on the forum have lots of things to enjoy in the book.

litefoot
Vice Admiral

#1089 Post by litefoot »

Tom's done a podcast interview with Tom Power for CBC in Canada. Everyone should be able to listen to it here.

https://player.fm/series/q-the-podcast- ... new-memoir

ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan)
Fleet Admiral

#1090 Post by ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) »

Selleck is being called an "entitled brat" in this article, complaining about losing his ranch if BLUE BLOODS is cancelled despite his incredible wealth.

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/tom ... 6470330545

Pahonu

#1091 Post by Pahonu »

I found this and references his autobiography.

https://apple.news/AKfJheXRRQ-mx3XZzW1gKLQ
Last edited by Pahonu on Fri May 24, 2024 4:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

litefoot
Vice Admiral

#1092 Post by litefoot »

litefoot wrote: Wed May 08, 2024 9:35 pm More Tom coverage.

Last night he was on stage in conversation with Bridget Moynahan at 92NY, New York. Some photos from Bridget's Facebook page:

https://www.facebook.com/bridgetmoynaha ... fuzYgwiG5l
92NY have now uploaded the whole interview to their YouTube account! It's an hour long.

youtu.be/-JJKdbvTrsY

litefoot
Vice Admiral

#1093 Post by litefoot »

A few more bits and pieces have come out in the last few days.

Here's Esquire magazine's interview with Tom.

https://www.esquire.com/entertainment/a ... m-selleck/

And an interview with Australian magazine Now To Love.

https://www.nowtolove.com.au/celebrity/ ... leck-book/

And an audio interview with NPR.

https://www.npr.org/2024/05/24/11969783 ... ck-memoirs

litefoot
Vice Admiral

#1094 Post by litefoot »

Tom was on CBS show The Talk yesterday being interviewed in the studio by Amanda Kloots.

Luther's nephew Dobie
Fleet Admiral

#1095 Post by Luther's nephew Dobie »

Litefoot, Pahonu, Ivan,

Thanks again for your sharing these sites, I am sure everyone is appreciative.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Like, man, if you’re Beat, where else is there to go but Greenwich Village, Earth? Like, it’s Endsville, man, you dig?"

Greenwich Village Suicide by Gregory Corso

Arms outstretched

Hands flat against the windowsides

She looks down

Thinks of Bartok, Van Gogh

And New Yorker Cartoons

She falls

They take her away with a Daily News on her face

And a storekeeper throws hot water on the sidewalk