Ask James...Q&A with the Web Master

Comments, questions, suggestions, criticism... anything at all about the website. This is also the place for member introductions

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

Agatha
Baroness of Oahu

#46 Post by Agatha »

You'd better be careful, SelleckLover. If I were your children and thought you were only hanging on until the grandchildren showed up, I'd NEVER have kids!!

Hope you're feeling better by now!!

:)
Isn't the ocean beautiful at sunset? So soft....so peaceful...so romantic!

IKnowWhatYoureThinking
Macho Taco & Coops Connoisseur

#47 Post by IKnowWhatYoureThinking »

Hang in there SL. Things will get better!

lutherhgillis
Fleet Admiral

#48 Post by lutherhgillis »

James,

I've been lurking around this site for a couple of years from my gum shoe office in St Louie's underbelly. I have noticed that posting members appear for a while and leave to be replaced by new ones. Some do remain however for quite a while but not many.

How long does the average member remain active before leaving the recurring lineup, so to speak?

Gratci,

Luther
Who's Dot Matrix, and what has she got to do with this?

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#49 Post by J.J. Walters »

Luther,

I have no idea, sorry. I do know that there are a lot more lurkers than posters, though.
Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!

lutherhgillis
Fleet Admiral

#50 Post by lutherhgillis »

Sorry if this question seemed trivial but I am a stats guy. I am fascinated by the reasons why people do what they do. I know posters will post and lurkers will lurk... I guess there will be a percentage who actually are here to opine about the show and those who just want to be heard by someone. I guess that makes this site similar to others.

However, for those who truly like MPI, this is a great place to hang out and participate because of the subject matter.

Buck
Captain

#51 Post by Buck »

James J. Walters wrote:Yeah, only a small percentage of the 400+ registered users post with any kind of regularity. New people come aboard with a surprising amount of frequency. Most only stay a short while. Some pop in and post only every couple of months. Some leave for months on end... and return. Many more never register, only lurk. In other words, it's a fairly typical online forum/message board/bulletin board, only one with a not-so-typical subject. ;)
Have you considered expanding the forum to include other PI shows like Rockford Files and Simon & Simon?

Buck
Captain

#52 Post by Buck »

Is this forum active? I don't see anyone posting.

Doc Ibold
Maniac Emeritus

#53 Post by Doc Ibold »

Buck wrote:Is this forum active? I don't see anyone posting.
Yup, its active. I don't know if it would make sense to expand the forum to include chats about other PI shows. Kinda negates the point of calling it "Magnum Mania". I'll let James weigh in on it though.

Its his world, I just live here

:lol:

lutherhgillis
Fleet Admiral

#54 Post by lutherhgillis »

Here is my $0.02 on expanding the site. Obviously James can do whatever he wants to do but I vote for keeping the site dedicated to MPI with expansion only into other work done by Selleck, Mosley, Hillerman, or Manetti.

This site is nice, clean, and open. I applaud all of you for making it the way it is... :D

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#55 Post by J.J. Walters »

Buck wrote:Have you considered expanding the forum to include other PI shows like Rockford Files and Simon & Simon?
Hi again Buck,

Nah, I don't think I'll do that, for a variety of reasons. You are more than welcome to post threads about those shows in 'The Beach Bar', however.

By the way, welcome to the site!

lutherhgillis
Fleet Admiral

#56 Post by lutherhgillis »

Have you thought of approaching Roger or Larry about appearing in a web chat with Magnum Mania?

Zudobug
Lieutenant Commander

#57 Post by Zudobug »

It would be nice if the Beach Bar section could be split into several categories. At the moment it just includes everything and as such the topics are varied. I would like it if it was split into categories such as Music & TV, General Discussions and a Have Your Say board (one where we can discuss opinions that are affecting the world today). This way people could go into the board (or boards) that they want to read the most without having to trawl through a list of topics that they have no interest in.

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#58 Post by J.J. Walters »

Luther,

I've thought about it, but never acted upon it. I probably should sometime.

Zudo,

Since there are quite a few threads about other TV shows, I've added a 'Other TV Shows' sub-forum. I don't think I'll add anything else at this point. I certainly don't want a 'Politics' or 'Soapbox' sub-forum.

Thanks

Styles Bitchley
Magnum Wristwatch Aficionado / Deputy SpamHammer

#59 Post by Styles Bitchley »

James J. Walters wrote:I certainly don't want a 'Politics' or 'Soapbox' sub-forum.
That's good to hear. I can see some threads veer into that territory from time to time and I steer clear, despite having an opinion on the subject. I'm quite sure there are a lot of different political views among core members (look at the breadth of countries represented), but we all seem to have something in common, eh?

World peace through Mangnum P.I.
"How fiendishly deceptive of you Magnum. I could have sworn I was hearing the emasculation of a large rodent."

- J.Q.H.

Doc Ibold
Maniac Emeritus

#60 Post by Doc Ibold »

James J. Walters wrote:
Zudo,

Since there are quite a few threads about other TV shows, I've added a 'Other TV Shows' sub-forum. I don't think I'll add anything else at this point. I certainly don't want a 'Politics' or 'Soapbox' sub-forum.

Thanks
Amen to that.