A few of Mr. Selleck's guns sold at auction

For discussions about the cast & crew, including guest stars

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

rubber chicken
Master Location Sleuth

A few of Mr. Selleck's guns sold at auction

#1 Post by rubber chicken »

In searching for something totally unrelated I happened upon a page that among other things, has to do with a few of Tom Selleck's former guns, and I thought I would dutifully report in here. If this has been posted already, apologies. Apparently Mr. Selleck gave a few pieces of his gun collection to an auctioneer and those pieces were sold along with countless other items (not Selleck's) to make up the "highest grossing firearms auction ever held" ($9.3 million).

Here are the Selleck excerpts I found from the very very long page. (Use your browser's find word tool and search for Selleck if you like.)
The actor Tom Selleck has not only starred in a number of cowboy related movies but also is an enthusiastic collector of firearms, a number of which he consigned to Julia's auction. A special-order custom Winchester model 1894 hunting rifle with Selleck's initials inlaid in gold carried a presale estimate of $8,000 to $12,000 and sold for $14,750 while a Winchester model 1894 special order take down from Selleck's collection estimated at $1,750 to $2,750 sold for $5,200.
"TOM SELLECK'S PERSONAL WINCHESTER MODEL 1894 HUNTING RIFLE.
$14,375.00"
(large image)
Not all offerings are antique, a small group of firearms from affable gun enthusiast and well known actor Tom Selleck includes an engraved Colt 2nd Generation 1860 Army made for and used in Selleck's movie, "Last Stand at Saber River". The gun carries a presale estimate of $15,000-25,000 and is one of various guns from the famous Selleck Collection.
Tom Selleck's 2nd Generation Colt used in his movie, "Last Stand at Saber River". Estimate $15,000-25,000. also Tom's personal Winchester Model 1894 hunting rifle with his gold initials inlaid, estimated at $8,000-12,000. (large image)

Those are some nice guns. I can only imagine what's still in his collection.

IslandHopper
Master Flub Spotter

#2 Post by IslandHopper »

Good stuff Rubber Chicken. Thanks for posting that. :D I have the movie "Last Stand At Saber River." I'll keep an eye out for the Colt.
The answer is obvious, old man. Logic is irrelevant. It's simply Tropical Madness. (J.Q. Higgins)

SelleckLover
RENLEDUN, Protectrix of the Realm

#3 Post by SelleckLover »

Makes you wonder why he's selling them. (?) :?

Doc Ibold
Maniac Emeritus

#4 Post by Doc Ibold »

Avacado market must be down.....

:wink:

SelleckLover

#5 Post by SelleckLover »

I was going to say that in my post Doc, since the avocados this year here in southern California are way too expensive and when you do buy one the quality is very poor. We're right in the middle of a long dry spell and it looks like it's going to be a "La Nina" year again. (Hardly any rain.) And the fact that I drive a car with broken windshield wipers is a testament to that! LOL
I did think of this reason, though. Maybe he's making room in his collection for some new stuff. (?) 8)

Doc Ibold
Maniac Emeritus

#6 Post by Doc Ibold »

We have the same problem here in Michigan with pumpkins.

By the time Halloween rolls around, I think they'll all be rotting.

rubber chicken
Master Location Sleuth

#7 Post by rubber chicken »

Actually, wasn't Mr. Selleck saying that he lost a large number of trees this year? I think that was a recurring theme in his appearances on Conan O'Brien and Regis and Kelly, etc. But in my original post I didn't think to mention the date of the auction which was in October 2005.

Of course in his infinite wisdom Selleck probably foresaw the severe frost of 2007 and therefor decided to sell the guns, and then invest the money, which by 2007 has grown to a sum which completely covers his loses in Avocado farming with enough leftover to buy a new saddle for his horse. Magnum was a very clever man after all.

I found a short bit on his loses this year.
Tom Selleck's Avocado Crop Is Crippled By Frost

Tom Selleck's avocado business has been dealt a savage blow from the elements - a severe frost has killed off hundreds of trees on his California farm. The former Magnum P.I. star admits his ranch is "a disaster area" and a recent "killer frost" has snapped his winning streak as a leading avocado farmer. He says, "We lost, like, 600 trees."

Selleck admits the disaster has made him realize just how tough it is for family farmers who don't have an acting career to fall back on. He adds, "I'm a family farmer and it's really hard." Ironically, Selleck isn't a big fan of his chosen crop: "I don't hate avocados because I want people to buy them; they're wonderful. But I don't like 'em. If I eat my own avocados, that's about a buck (dollar) a piece."
I can't even imagine having 600 trees, let alone having them and then losing them.

Getting back to guns though, I wonder if he has the rifle from Quigly Down Under? And I remember reading that Mr. Selleck has bought guns worth I think $50,000 before, to commemorate an achievement of his. The auction page calls his collection famous, I'd love to see what all is in it.

SelleckLover

#8 Post by SelleckLover »

u CA
WWW.NRANEWS.COM
AUGUST 2005
"
AMERICAN
R| fi | r\ ivi i_ i\ i \^ r\ IN ifleman
Enter Today!
OFFICIAL JOURNAL OF THl NATIONAL RIFLE ASSOCIATION OF AMERICA
All renewing, recruiting and contributing NRA members receive the Tom Selleck .45-110 Silver Bullet Commemorative.
GRAND PRIZE:
Tom Selleck's Shiloh Sharps .45-110 Quigley rifle and Browning NRA Edition safe. ARV: sioz.ooo
* 'f:
\VintMy
mey
R21e!
See inside back cover for Official Entry Eorm.
* No purchase necessary to cuter. Making a pun hast- or donation docs not incrca.ic your chances of winning. You must ho iSor older to enter.
•^^^^jsia^:^s^a^.^|^^^^^i^^^^^^^

Thanks for the post rc. The Quigley rifle was given away in a contest in the Official Journal of the NRA, American Rifleman. (August 2005 Issue)If I did this correctly there should be a picture of the cover above. If I screwed it up, then, oops, Sorry!

SelleckLover

#9 Post by SelleckLover »

OOPS! Guess I screwed it up! Sorry!

rubber chicken
Master Location Sleuth

#10 Post by rubber chicken »

Ahh, so it looks like it was given away as a prize. Interesting, thanks for the post SelleckLover.

I just thought - I wonder if Mr. Selleck saved the .45 (?) handgun from Magnum P.I. Of course I think it would have been made inoperable, or whatever is done to TV show weapons, but then they do fire blanks....