40th Anniversary Watch Party

For all non-episode specific topics about the show, including MPI-related "tie-ins"

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

ConchRepublican
COZITV Magnum, P.I. SuperFan / Chief Barkeep - Flemingo Key

Re: 40th Anniversary Watch Party

#61 Post by ConchRepublican »

Pahonu wrote: Sun Jan 03, 2021 9:02 pm Anyone watch No Need to Know? It’s another of my first season favorites. This is the first time they’ve shown the sea wall side of the main house, if I’m not mistaken. The Brigadier is shown on the only balcony on that side of the structure. I don’t think that’s ever done again.
I love that some of you are still doing this! I will admit to having grand intentions but . . . since I'm working (if you can call it that) from home Magnum has been a constant in the background between the 2 hours in the afternoon and 3 hours at night . . . but I will try to be involved in this more.

No Need to Know is one of my all time favorite episodes. It really shows the issues TM has with authority at this time and his distaste for the way games are played with people's lives. We get a little more about Higgins backstory and for me it would have been great to have seen Allistair Ffolkes pop up in more than just two episodes. We also get to see the first real bit of growth between Higgins and TM, with Thomas coming to his defense and Higgins showing his true concern for his welfare. The men weren't antagonists living on a rich man's estate anymore they were soldiers again, comrades, and their true character showed.

Always a very important episode for me.
CoziTV Superfan spot
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPTmsykLQ04

MagnumsLeftShoulder
Fleet Admiral

#62 Post by MagnumsLeftShoulder »

I started watching, but I was just too exhausted to stay awake last Friday night. BUT......No Need to Know didn't actually air until 1/8/81, so if you missed last week; you really aren't behind!

Styles Bitchley
Magnum Wristwatch Aficionado / Deputy SpamHammer

#63 Post by Styles Bitchley »

Alright guys, I gave No Need to Know another chance and I’m not sure what I was thinking before. It’s great. There’s a lot going on (the Northern Ireland conflict, sexy stewardesses, TC’s dinner jacket, Rick’s role connecting Magnum with clients at the KKC, Magnum’s Naval intelligence background) and everything seems to work well together.

The pacing is notably odd in this episode especially, as there’s really no background music during scenes when there’s a lot of silence - especially the creeping around the estate scenes. Interesting to see how that evolves. BTW, is The Brigadier’s name ACTUALLY spelled with two Fs??
"How fiendishly deceptive of you Magnum. I could have sworn I was hearing the emasculation of a large rodent."

- J.Q.H.

Pahonu
Robin's Nest Expert Extraordinaire

#64 Post by Pahonu »

Styles Bitchley wrote: Sat Jan 09, 2021 4:13 pm Alright guys, I gave No Need to Know another chance and I’m not sure what I was thinking before. It’s great. There’s a lot going on (the Northern Ireland conflict, sexy stewardesses, TC’s dinner jacket, Rick’s role connecting Magnum with clients at the KKC, Magnum’s Naval intelligence background) and everything seems to work well together.

The pacing is notably odd in this episode especially, as there’s really no background music during scenes when there’s a lot of silence - especially the creeping around the estate scenes. Interesting to see how that evolves. BTW, is The Brigadier’s name ACTUALLY spelled with two Fs??
Glad you liked! It does have some oddly silent moments now that you mention it.

One thing I remember is the interesting cut when Rick throws away the bar bill for Dobie’s OJ, to the sponge going into the bucket as Higgins washes the Audi. They had more of these creative cuts in earlier episodes. They were more focused on visuals than music perhaps.

Here’s a link about the Ffolkes name:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.houseo ... mily-crest

T.Q.
Fleet Admiral

#65 Post by T.Q. »

January 15th, 1981

[CBS 9:00] Magnum, P.I. [Reg]: Skin Deep
Season 1, episode 6

W: Donald P. Bellisario D: Lawrence Doheny
With Ian McShane (David Norman), Cathie Shirriff (Erin Wolfe), Ron Masak (J.J. Stein), Paul Dennis Martin (Pilot), Tommy Fujiwara (Dr. Makudo), Rodrick Martin (Young Man), Remi Abellira (Moki), Reri Tava Jobe (Hostess).

When a beautiful model-actress is killed by a shotgun blast in a scenario closely resembling a scene from the script of an upcoming film, it is seemingly suicide. Magnum is hired by her former producer and lover to investigate.
Knocking my rubber chicken or my sloppy habits is within the rules, but you're attacking my character. I would like to think you don't mean that.

MagnumsLeftShoulder
Fleet Admiral

#66 Post by MagnumsLeftShoulder »

I watched No Need to Know and it's a pretty good episode, but the lighting and color seem out of whack. On the itunes version, every scene is dark and dingy.

Fr. Paddy McGuinness
Admiral

#67 Post by Fr. Paddy McGuinness »

Styles Bitchley wrote: Sat Jan 09, 2021 4:13 pm Alright guys, I gave No Need to Know another chance and I’m not sure what I was thinking before. It’s great. There’s a lot going on (the Northern Ireland conflict, sexy stewardesses, TC’s dinner jacket, Rick’s role connecting Magnum with clients at the KKC, Magnum’s Naval intelligence background) and everything seems to work well together.

Names starting with two F’s, often lower case (ff), is “Old English” spelling. Roger Moore starred in a movie filmed in my hometown released as “North Sea Hijack“ in the U.S. In Ireland and the UK it was called “ffolkes” which was his character’s last name.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0081809/
Faith and Begorrah!

Styles Bitchley

#68 Post by Styles Bitchley »

Thanks Paddy and Pahonu for the Ffolkes education. I’ve learned something new!

And, yes, the scene transition from Rick to washing the Audi stood out to me too. I was, like, “hey, that was pretty cool, actually!”
"How fiendishly deceptive of you Magnum. I could have sworn I was hearing the emasculation of a large rodent."

- J.Q.H.

Pahonu

#69 Post by Pahonu »

Styles Bitchley wrote: Sun Jan 10, 2021 1:18 pm Thanks Paddy and Pahonu for the Ffolkes education. I’ve learned something new!

And, yes, the scene transition from Rick to washing the Audi stood out to me too. I was, like, “hey, that was pretty cool, actually!”
Two other interesting shots that stand out to me from early episodes are:

From China Doll, the cut from the Tong killing Ho in the shop, to Higgins practicing Tai Chi? at the estate.

From the pilot, the ground-level camera shot of the Ferrari backing down the driveway in the opening scene. You see the gravel fly as Magnum brakes and puts in in 1st gear to make it out before the gate closes.

I’m trying to think of some others from memory.

ConchRepublican

#70 Post by ConchRepublican »

Pahonu wrote: Sun Jan 10, 2021 8:32 pm
Styles Bitchley wrote: Sun Jan 10, 2021 1:18 pm Thanks Paddy and Pahonu for the Ffolkes education. I’ve learned something new!

Two other interesting shots that stand out to me from early episodes are:

From China Doll, the cut from the Tong killing Ho in the shop, to Higgins practicing Tai Chi? at the estate.

From the pilot, the ground-level camera shot of the Ferrari backing down the driveway in the opening scene. You see the gravel fly as Magnum brakes and puts in in 1st gear to make it out before the gate closes.

I’m trying to think of some others from memory.
That style is why the first season has always stood out to me, that and the film it was shot on always had a different "feel" to me I couldn't explain but made it stand out.
CoziTV Superfan spot

ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan)
Fleet Admiral

#71 Post by ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) »

Outside of the pilot, "No Need to Know" is definitely the best episode of the season! Richard Johnson lent an air of Britishness to the proceedings (Higgins being very accommodating towards him is classic Higgins) and I just love his last name of "ffolkes" - classy! Robin Dearden (Mrs. Bryan Cranston) as Mandy is another highlight and her twist is very well done. I love the eerie reverberating part of the score that signifies "suspense" or "danger" in this episode. This same suspenseful sound is heard again in "Never Again... Never Again" -- my other favorite from the season. I don't believe we ever hear it again. It's very unique!! I think it's by Mike Post, not Ian Freebairn-Smith. Anyway, GREAT episode!

Pahonu

#72 Post by Pahonu »

IvanTheTerrible wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 4:45 am Outside of the pilot, "No Need to Know" is definitely the best episode of the season!
Agreed! I would say it is followed by China Doll, J. “Digger” Doyle, and Lest We Forget. I’ll stop and watch those episodes any time I see them aired, along with the pilot of course. As the seasons progress, I find fewer and fewer episodes that I’ll always stop and watch. Season 1 definitely has the most.

ConchRepublican

#73 Post by ConchRepublican »

Pahonu wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 6:41 am
IvanTheTerrible wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 4:45 am Outside of the pilot, "No Need to Know" is definitely the best episode of the season!
Agreed! I would say it is followed by China Doll, J. “Digger” Doyle, and Lest We Forget. I’ll stop and watch those episodes any time I see them aired, along with the pilot of course. As the seasons progress, I find fewer and fewer episodes that I’ll always stop and watch. Season 1 definitely has the most.
I agree completely! There's just something special about that first season . . . I especially liked the banter between Higgins and Thomas, there was almost a 40s vibe where they would talk over each other (see China Doll).

I had that season heavily weighed when I did my Sweet 16 for Cozi, with 4 episodes:
China Doll - the first "real" episode after the pilot movie which sets the tone for the series IMO
No Need to Know - as discussed
Lest We Forget - so well done using the Lockhart and Ferrer families and a great connection to Pearl Harbor
Don’t Say Goodbye - the Ted Dansen factor

And then J. Digger Doyle was included in the marathon as the lead in to the fan voted fave.

I left out Never Again . . . Never Again . . . just because I didn't have enough slots!
CoziTV Superfan spot

Styles Bitchley

#74 Post by Styles Bitchley »

Anyone doing Skin Deep tomorrow? To get you in the mood, here's a period commercial break (admittedly a few weeks later than exactly 40 years ago).

youtu.be/5fKjaS7o-GE

- J.Q.H.

eagle
Fleet Admiral

#75 Post by eagle »

Styles Bitchley wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 6:52 pm Anyone doing Skin Deep tomorrow?
I didn't start yet, but when I saw your comment show up I decided to start right now, so I'm watching s1e1. :D Magnum just drove off in the Ferrari. This starts my next run through the series. :magnum: :magnum: :magnum:

Funny the things a grown man will do for entertainment.