40th Anniversary Watch Party

For all non-episode specific topics about the show, including MPI-related "tie-ins"

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

308GUY
Fleet Admiral

Re: 40th Anniversary Watch Party

#46 Post by 308GUY »

I watched THFLGABOT.....AND Operation Silent Night.... :)

Every time I watch THFLGABOT, I like it a little more. The first meeting with the girls....just the fact that the plan was hatched and pulled off under JQH AND TSM nose...is "noteworthy" in my book.

There are more than a couple redeeming moments during the episode for me...but one of my favorites is when TM is "explaining" things to the "boss".....he says, "I can explain.." and JQH says "No you can't"...then to top it off, TC later chimes in with "Don't tell that story again!"

Then there's the scene with JQH getting shoved out onto the balcony where he utters that infamous phrase "THIS IS OUTRAGEOUS!.....OUTRAGEOUS!" :lol: :lol: :lol:

As stated, I tend to like it a little more with each viewing...but I suppose that could reverse itself at some point! :magnum:
"C'mon TC...nothing can go wrong!"

Pahonu
Robin's Nest Expert Extraordinaire

#47 Post by Pahonu »

Anyone watch No Need to Know? It’s another of my first season favorites. This is the first time they’ve shown the sea wall side of the main house, if I’m not mistaken. The Brigadier is shown on the only balcony on that side of the structure. I don’t think that’s ever done again.

308GUY
Fleet Admiral

#48 Post by 308GUY »

:magnum:
"C'mon TC...nothing can go wrong!"

eagle
Fleet Admiral

#49 Post by eagle »

I haven't been around for a while, so I missed it, but I want to watch the series on the anniversary dates. Anybody else going to do that?

Pahonu

#50 Post by Pahonu »

eagle wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 7:46 pm I haven't been around for a while, so I missed it, but I want to watch the series on the anniversary dates. Anybody else going to do that?
The pilot anniversary date was on a Friday, so I’ve been watching them on subsequent Fridays and commenting on things I noticed. Unfortunately, I think the interest has already dropped a bit. It was a small group of us to start with so I don’t know how long it’s going to go on.

eagle
Fleet Admiral

#51 Post by eagle »

Yeah, I mean, it's going to take 8 years if we do it on the anniversary dates. Maybe I'll just do it for season 1.

Pahonu

#52 Post by Pahonu »

eagle wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 9:25 pm Yeah, I mean, it's going to take 8 years if we do it on the anniversary dates. Maybe I'll just do it for season 1.
I was thinking just season 1 also, but it dropped off after just 4 episodes. I’ll give it a few more weeks.

T.Q.
Fleet Admiral

#53 Post by T.Q. »

January 8th, 1981

[CBS 9:00] Magnum, P.I. [Reg]: No Need To Know
Season 1, episode 5

W: Frank Lupo D: Lawrence Doheny
With Richard MacPherson (Jerry), Robin Dearden (Mandy), Ed Grover (William J. Hooker), Richard Johnson (Brigidier Gen. Alistair Ffolkes), Mariko Van Kampen (Suzie), Eugene Hamilton (Agent Dobey), David O'Malley (Dirk), John Allen (Bertie), Remi Abellira (Moki), Reri Tava Jobe (Hostess).

Magnum is hired to protect a British Brigadier who is being hunted by the Irish Republican Army.
Knocking my rubber chicken or my sloppy habits is within the rules, but you're attacking my character. I would like to think you don't mean that.

T.Q.
Fleet Admiral

#54 Post by T.Q. »

Pahonu wrote: Wed Jan 06, 2021 2:50 am
eagle wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 9:25 pm Yeah, I mean, it's going to take 8 years if we do it on the anniversary dates. Maybe I'll just do it for season 1.
I was thinking just season 1 also, but it dropped off after just 4 episodes. I’ll give it a few more weeks.
I watched a few but to be honest stopped.

I watched the series while working out end of 2019.

Then decided to do my Fourth Wall project and re-watched AGAIN in May 2020.

Thought it would be fun for people who haven't watched for a few years but I'm personally a bit Magnumed out. :shock:

Don't be mad at me. :lol:

Knocking my rubber chicken or my sloppy habits is within the rules, but you're attacking my character. I would like to think you don't mean that.

ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan)
Fleet Admiral

#55 Post by ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) »

T.Q. wrote: Wed Jan 06, 2021 7:33 pm Thought it would be fun for people who haven't watched for a few years but I'm personally a bit Magnumed out. :shock:

Don't be mad at me. :lol:
Don't be mad at T.Q. His favorite new show now is the original classic HAWAII FIVE-O. The deal-breaker was Jack Lord's ocean wave hairdo and now there's no going back to the Mag's stache! :lol:

Styles Bitchley
Magnum Wristwatch Aficionado / Deputy SpamHammer

#56 Post by Styles Bitchley »

Pahonu wrote: Sun Jan 03, 2021 9:02 pm Anyone watch No Need to Know? It’s another of my first season favorites. This is the first time they’ve shown the sea wall side of the main house, if I’m not mistaken. The Brigadier is shown on the only balcony on that side of the structure. I don’t think that’s ever done again.
I've got it penciled in for tomorrow night. I actually watched much of season one only about six months ago, so they're still fresh for me. As much as I love Season One, this episode isn't one of my favourites.
"How fiendishly deceptive of you Magnum. I could have sworn I was hearing the emasculation of a large rodent."

- J.Q.H.

Pahonu

#57 Post by Pahonu »

Styles Bitchley wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 8:16 pm
Pahonu wrote: Sun Jan 03, 2021 9:02 pm Anyone watch No Need to Know? It’s another of my first season favorites. This is the first time they’ve shown the sea wall side of the main house, if I’m not mistaken. The Brigadier is shown on the only balcony on that side of the structure. I don’t think that’s ever done again.
I've got it penciled in for tomorrow night. I actually watched much of season one only about six months ago, so they're still fresh for me. As much as I love Season One, this episode isn't one of my favourites.
Any details about why it’s not a favorite?

I enjoy the fairly unique plot line about The Troubles. Magnum gets to run from the lads and has to pick a lock again! The “need to know” mentality of all the different parties is laid bare. I also like the dinner jacket subplot especially the final scene.

terryfromkerry
Fleet Admiral

#58 Post by terryfromkerry »

Hi guys,
This episode is noteworthy too as Higgins & Magnum begin to display a mutually respectful regard for each other's military experience and shared background in intelligence. Effectively changing the dynamic in their future relationship for the better. :)
"Oh Jonathan !....oh Jonathan, come quickly ...... your hot cross buns are smoking".

Pahonu

#59 Post by Pahonu »

terryfromkerry wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 10:35 am Hi guys,
This episode is noteworthy too as Higgins & Magnum begin to display a mutually respectful regard for each other's military experience and shared background in intelligence. Effectively changing the dynamic in their future relationship for the better. :)
Very true. I was thinking something similar when I wrote the above. I saw it in terms of this being the first episode when they weren’t simply antagonistic toward each other. Much better stated Terry.

In the first few episodes Higgins seems genuinely angry in several scenes. While initially entertaining, I think this would have gotten old pretty quickly. The rivalry will remain between the two, but as you said, a mutual respect will underly the relationship.

Styles Bitchley
Magnum Wristwatch Aficionado / Deputy SpamHammer

#60 Post by Styles Bitchley »

Pahonu wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 11:33 pm
Any details about why it’s not a favorite?

I enjoy the fairly unique plot line about The Troubles. Magnum gets to run from the lads and has to pick a lock again! The “need to know” mentality of all the different parties is laid bare. I also like the dinner jacket subplot especially the final scene.
I really can't articulate it, other than it just doesn't grab me. Maybe I need to do a sit down with a completely fresh set of eyes. I usually skip over it, so maybe I'll give it another chance! The points you guys are noting are good ones...
"How fiendishly deceptive of you Magnum. I could have sworn I was hearing the emasculation of a large rodent."

- J.Q.H.