Tom Selleck Pilots

For discussions about the cast & crew, including guest stars

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

golfmobile
Chopper Pilot Wannabe

#11 Post by golfmobile »

Okay, cool! If it was the Russian Embassy, I can find that. I confess I didn't recognize it at all when JWJr walked into it and when he waved his headpiece out the window (and speaking of that, he could really pass as a Saudi nowadays, couldn't he? NOT! I thought that was really "jumping the shark" to try to pass him off as of Mid-Eastern ethnicity without ANY extra make-up or anything like that! Sheesh!). I'll try to get some screenshots tonight and post them. (I have to work today and don't have the DVD or DVD player here with me.)

Stay tuned! Pix of the KKC as a Russian Embassy in the Caribbean coming soon. (From a practical standpoint, would this "country" have been large/important enough to HAVE a Russian Embassy??)

So, if so many other "tropical" scenes were actually Hawaii and not the Caribbean (I suppose from L.A. it's closer to Hawaii than the Caribbean . . . . ), other than the mention of the beach shower scene, did anyone recognize any other Hawaii locations? I'm not all that familiar with Oahu, having been only to Kauai, Maui, and the Big Island. Did anyone recognize the beach the three of them are walking on when Tom convinces his partner to go on with the assignment (which was a STRANGE scene to me -- such a long POV of a long conversation before there were any close-ups -- editing? [I'll post a screenie of this too, in case someone is familiar with Hawaii/Oahu but hasn't seen the movie yet.] I would think they would have edited back and forth between long shots and close-ups, plus different views of each -- from the rear, side, etc., if they're going to spend that long in a distance shot of the three walking along the beach. Just looked awkward to me and even though the sound was fine, I found myself leaning forward as if to listen to a conversation so far away.)

Anyone else notice the alligator on Tom's shirt? I don't recall that he ever wore an Izod shirt in MPI. Did he?

golf
"Portside, buddy."

IslandHopper
Master Flub Spotter

#12 Post by IslandHopper »

golfmobile wrote:Anyone else notice the alligator on Tom's shirt? I don't recall that he ever wore an Izod shirt in MPI. Did he?

golf
He wore a navy blue or black Izod golf/tennis shirt at the end of "No Need To Know." He puts it on just after he finishes searching the tidal pool for a weapon Sampson may have dropped when he was shot the night before. He is wearing it when Mandy is shot by the SAS, just before Magnum takes off in the Ferrari after Higgins.
The answer is obvious, old man. Logic is irrelevant. It's simply Tropical Madness. (J.Q. Higgins)

IslandHopper
Master Flub Spotter

#13 Post by IslandHopper »

golfmobile wrote:
Did anyone recognize the beach the three of them are walking on when Tom convinces his partner to go on with the assignment (which was a STRANGE scene to me -- such a long POV of a long conversation before there were any close-ups -- editing? [I'll post a screenie of this too, in case someone is familiar with Hawaii/Oahu but hasn't seen the movie yet.]
Golf,

I think that scene on the beach is the same beach that was shown in "Three Minus Two" (season 2), when Magnum first met Jan Kona at the KKC. The club was too crowded so they took a walk on the beach. If it's not to much trouble, perhaps you can give us a screen shot of Magnum and Jan Kona walking on that beach too. If that is the same beach, it probably was from Oahu as it was supposed to be adjacent to the KKC. That doesn't mean it actually was of course. Thanks. :)
The answer is obvious, old man. Logic is irrelevant. It's simply Tropical Madness. (J.Q. Higgins)

golfmobile
Chopper Pilot Wannabe

#14 Post by golfmobile »

IH,

No can do. I don't have the Seasons DVDs so I can't add a screen shot from that episode. Maybe someone else can.

:cry:

golf
"Portside, buddy."

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#15 Post by J.J. Walters »

Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!

IslandHopper
Master Flub Spotter

#16 Post by IslandHopper »

Thanks for posting that shot James. Golf, does that look like the same beach?

golfmobile
Chopper Pilot Wannabe

#17 Post by golfmobile »

James,

Thanks.

Yes, and no. I'll post a picture from TCT tonight and you can compare.

But my memory right now says no.

golf
"Portside, buddy."

IslandHopper
Master Flub Spotter

#18 Post by IslandHopper »

I think the difference from the shot provided above and the shot in the Chinese Typewriter is the vantage point. In the "CT" we see the three of them head-on from a distance with a wider view of the beach, and the shot provided from "Three Minus Two" is more from an angle, from their right so we don't get to see as much of the beach to their right. I'll take a look at "Three Minus Two" and see if there is a head-on shot of Magnum and Jan Kona, which shows more of the beach. I thought there was, but I'm not sure.

golfmobile
Chopper Pilot Wannabe

#19 Post by golfmobile »

IH,

Now that I look at it again, after viewing the beach in TCT, it could be! Just in TCT, they were down by the waterline, where Tom and Jill were up above the water line. But then, again, yes, the background sort of looks the same, but in TCT, the foliage to the left looks closer than it does in the 3-2 scene, plus the entire shoreline in TCT seems to slope more. ??? So I don't know -- I could go either way with a little convincing.

I have added a WHOLE bunch of pictures, so I don't want to take up the room and space putting them all here.

I've added pictures of the beach that may be the same beach as the one with Magnum and Jill St. John, the shower at the beach scene (duplicate of an MPI shot as mentioned above), the supposed back side of the villain's estate in the Caribbean, which we have determined is the Anderson estate when shown from the front or from above to set the next scene as taking place in this residence, but the back side certainly isn't ANYTHING like anything we ever saw in MPI -- there's even a swimming pool between the back of the TCT estate and the ocean. So this is obviously a different set from the Anderson estate. I even added a picture where TS gets up to leave the back lanai and go back through the house to go out the front door -- NOT the Anderson estate, just the other back exterior of some other big house.

Pictures of the JWJr trying to look Mideastern, the "Russian Embassy," Mark's Estate, KKC. Also pictures of the "Hollywood Arms" apartment building, with entrance to elevator, elevator tower, and exit from same.

So instead of putting them all here, you can look at your leisure at them on dropshots at (I've tried to put a caption on each picture to identify what it is, so read the captions):

The Chinese Typewriter Screenshots

If anyone has any particular questions about any particular picture, let me know, and I'll try to explain what it is.
"Portside, buddy."

IslandHopper
Master Flub Spotter

#20 Post by IslandHopper »

golfmobile wrote:-- there's even a swimming pool between the back of the TCT estate and the ocean. So this is obviously a different set from the Anderson estate. I even added a picture where TS gets up to leave the back lanai and go back through the house to go out the front door -- NOT the Anderson estate, just the other back exterior of some other big house.
I believe this is the house featured in "Novel Connection," where Higgins, Jessica, Thomas and the ladies attend that party, and the guy gets shot in the back. Look at the trees with the flowers on them. These were also present in "Novel Connection." Thanks for posting all of those screen shots Golf. :)

golfmobile
Chopper Pilot Wannabe

#21 Post by golfmobile »

IH,

What do you think about the beach? Yes or no (same one)?

I'm leaning toward "no" after viewing both. But you always catch ALL the details the rest of us don't see.

golf
"Portside, buddy."

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#22 Post by J.J. Walters »

Super cool golf! Thanks!

Wow, so the famous "beach shower" clip is from The Chinese Typewriter!
Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!

IslandHopper
Master Flub Spotter

#23 Post by IslandHopper »

golfmobile wrote:IH,

What do you think about the beach? Yes or no (same one)?

I'm leaning toward "no" after viewing both. But you always catch ALL the details the rest of us don't see.

golf
Golf,

I was able to pause the beach scene from "Three Minus Two," and also on the DVR of the "The Chinese Typewriter," and after comparing the two beach scenes, I would have to say no they are not the same. Thanks for posting those shots of "TCT."

Kahunagirl
Vice Admiral

#24 Post by Kahunagirl »

OK, I give up! I've read this entire thread and still can't figure out which Tom Selleck pilot it's all about. Was it something called The Chinese Typewriter? I'm confused!

Kahunagirl

golfmobile
Chopper Pilot Wannabe

#25 Post by golfmobile »

Kahunagirl,

Yes, this all started with our viewing (or wanting to view) and discussing "The Chinese Typewriter," which aired on the Sleuth Channel. It's the only un-picked-up-Tom-Selleck-pilot, to my knowledge, that has aired on Sleuth or anywhere else. Now, "The Gypsy Warriors" is scheduled to air January 13. It is my understanding that it is also another failed pilot. So I will DVR it and burn it to DVD for anyone who wants it because he/she doesn't get the Sleuth Channel. I've already burned a couple of copies of "The Chinese Typewriter" (TCT) for a couple of folks here (and have already sent Mike his copy) and will also burn TGW for them too, so a few folks haven't gotten their TCT because I'm waiting to record the second one and send them both in one padded envelope to the folks who want to see both, and then they will get both from me.

Did I say all that coherently? Probably not . . . . but does this answer your question?

golf
"Portside, buddy."