Season 4 Episode 2: The Harder They Fall (4.2)

For discussions about the new CBS Magnum P.I. reboot

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

How Would You Rate This Episode?

Perfect
17%
One of the Best
No votes
Excellent
No votes
Very Good
No votes
Pretty Good
33%
Decent
No votes
Average at Best
33%
Not So Good
No votes
Pretty Bad
No votes
Just Awful
No votes
Refuse to Watch
17%

Total votes: 6

KENJI
Fleet Admiral

Season 4 Episode 2: The Harder They Fall (4.2)

#1 Post by KENJI »

While Magnum and Higgins reunite and work the case of a construction worker's tragic death, TC and Shammy get skyjacked by a pair of drug runners posing as tourists.

KENJI
Fleet Admiral

Re: Season 4 Episode 2: The Harder They Fall (4.2)

#2 Post by KENJI »

Here is the promo/trailer for this episode..........

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bs8zW07M4_g

Luther's nephew Dobie
Fleet Admiral

#3 Post by Luther's nephew Dobie »

Hi Guys,
When asked to "rate this episode", everyone is entitled to vote their opinion. But really, one of you guys votes "Perfect" for every episode of the reboot.
I don't rate Classic Magnum as having any more than, oh say 10, perfect episodes.
With all due respect, how can you maintain there is no room for improvement on the reboot?
Granted it has improved from the first years, the mass firefights count is much lower and the cast seem to have finally jelled with each other.
"TC" in particular has seemed to have moved on from his

'I'm here for the paycheck as this show won't last 5 more episodes"

mode and is actually acting. "Rick" is now actually pretty good and quite likable.
And when they have local bands on at episode's end, with the cast either singing or just enjoying the show, it is quite charming.
Though I suspect they borrowed this from some 77 Sunset Strip episodes as well as the idea of having a PI agency for the leads.
But this is all a far cry from perfect.
If they were smart they'd mine the potential comedy gold of Higgy having all those illegitimate half siblings as in the original.
Sarah Silverman, Billy Connolly, Eric Bana, Kylie Minogue and Prince Charles would all work for me.
For me this reboot is an okay time waster on friday nights, but 3 days later I have forgotten all the details.

308GUY
Fleet Admiral

#4 Post by 308GUY »

Luther's nephew Dobie wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 1:51 am Hi Guys,
When asked to "rate this episode", everyone is entitled to vote their opinion. But really, one of you guys votes "Perfect" for every episode of the reboot.
I don't rate Classic Magnum as having any more than, oh say 10, perfect episodes.
With all due respect, how can you maintain there is no room for improvement on the reboot?
Granted it has improved from the first years, the mass firefights count is much lower and the cast seem to have finally jelled with each other.

mode and is actually acting. "Rick" is now actually pretty good and quite likable.
And when they have local bands on at episode's end, with the cast either singing or just enjoying the show, it is quite charming.
Though I suspect they borrowed this from some 77 Sunset Strip episodes as well as the idea of having a PI agency for the leads.
If they were smart they'd mine the potential comedy gold of Higgy having all those illegitimate half siblings as in the original.
Sarah Silverman, Billy Connolly, Eric Bana, Kylie Minogue and Prince Charles would all work for me.
For me this reboot is an okay time waster on friday nights, but 3 days later I have forgotten all the details.
Very astute and accurate, (IMHO), assessment of the episode and series in general.

Totally agree about Higgins siblings scenario. One of the things I miss most in this supposed new iteration of a proved, well loved and, (again IMHO), classic tv serial production, (OTHER than the 308.... :x ), is the background narration by the main character. (WOULD say "Thomas"...but I just can't bring myself to think of JH "as" TM....let alone accept him!) They did do it a couple times and I thought maybe the producers/directors were finally seeing the light...but pretty sure it was missing in this episode again. Guess we'll just have to keep tuning in to see if they get it right!

I'm of the opinion of many others who've said in the past, they should have called it something else, and not tried to cash in on the popularity of our beloved original....but such is the nature of "Tinsel Town"....cash is king and profit rules.

Old Italian saying...."Give the people what they want...and you'll make money." So, as I've said before...."Out with the old, in with the new." But it's NOT "your fathers" Magnum PI! :shock: :x :!: :( :magnum:
"C'mon TC...nothing can go wrong!"

Luther's nephew Dobie
Fleet Admiral

#5 Post by Luther's nephew Dobie »

308GUY wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 1:08 pm
Luther's nephew Dobie wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 1:51 am Hi Guys,

Very astute and accurate, (IMHO), assessment of the episode and series in general.

Totally agree about Higgins siblings scenario. One of the things I miss most in this supposed new iteration of a proved, well loved and, (again IMHO), classic tv serial production, (OTHER than the 308.... :x ), is the background narration by the main character. (WOULD say "Thomas"...but I just can't bring myself to think of JH "as" TM....let alone accept him!) They did do it a couple times and I thought maybe the producers/directors were finally seeing the light...but pretty sure it was missing in this episode again. Guess we'll just have to keep tuning in to see if they get it right!
I'm of the opinion of many others who've said in the past, they should have called it something else, and not tried to cash in on the popularity of our beloved original....but such is the nature of "Tinsel Town"....cash is king and profit rules.
Old Italian saying...."Give the people what they want...and you'll make money." So, as I've said before...."Out with the old, in with the new." But it's NOT "your fathers" Magnum PI! :shock: :x :!: :( :magnum:
Hi 308GUY,
You are so spot on about the narration. I couldn't put my finger on what else about the series was missing, you nailed it, shows you what I know.
The narration bit really enhanced the feel of Classic Magnum and was a nod to Dick Powell's "Phillip Marlowe" in Murder My Sweet, a flick almost on par with The Maltese Falcon.
As for reboots the only one I know that outshone the original is "Rescue Special Ops", the sequel to "Police Rescue" starring the iconic Aussie tough guy Gary Sweet.
Sweet did appear on the sequel as the father of the two main police characters in this Sydney set series. Another son shows up in season 3.
High production values, beaut scenery, great action scenes. Plus co-star Gigi Edgley is a absolute twin, a doppelganger for "Monk's" Traylor Howard who played Natalie his aide.
"Rescue Special Ops" is free on You Tube.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"He claimed he saw a flock of emus flying by? Mate, he's got kangaroos in the top paddock"...Blue Heelers