Season 3 Episode 9: The Big Payback (3.9)

For discussions about the new CBS Magnum P.I. reboot

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

How Would You Rate This Episode?

Perfect
20%
One of the Best
No votes
Excellent
No votes
Very Good
40%
Pretty Good
20%
Decent
No votes
Average at Best
No votes
Not So Good
No votes
Pretty Bad
20%
Just Awful
No votes
Refuse to Watch
No votes

Total votes: 5

KENJI
Fleet Admiral

Season 3 Episode 9: The Big Payback (3.9)

#1 Post by KENJI »

Just a title at this point.
Last edited by KENJI on Sat Mar 06, 2021 2:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.

KENJI
Fleet Admiral

Re: Season 3 Episode 9: The Big Payback (3.9)

#2 Post by KENJI »

When Higgins is abducted, Magnum discovers it's retaliation related to one of his first cases on the Island, and he, Rick and TC must break out an ex-client from prison in order to save her.

KENJI
Fleet Admiral

#3 Post by KENJI »

Here is the trailer for this episode..............

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5JRoeIAV5f0

I wonder if this is the episode where the guy(s) following Thomas and Higgins in the white vehicle are finally revealed.

KENJI
Fleet Admiral

#4 Post by KENJI »

Well the SUV stalker wasn't part of this episode.

Gordie really crosses the line in this one by turning a blind eye to Magnum & Co's involvement in the jail break.
You can tell Magnum is really appreciative for this act of friendship.......I'll put money on it that Magnum comes to Gordie's rescue down the road by either rescuing him or better yet saving his son Dennis.
Magnum's fight scene was one of the better ones.....also liked how Myles dies in the fight by landing on a piece of rebar.
Obviously Higgins and Magnum's "friendship" grows a little closer in this episode, probably more for Magnum. Higgins receives a perfectly timed phone call from Ethan that reminds Magnum that she is in a relationship with another guy. One of my pet peeves is when a bad guy has a gun and shoots it a half dozen times and can't hit his target. I would've rather seen Myles shoot at Magnum once maybe twice and then Magnum finds cover from a crate, a boat etc. faster than what happened in the scene. Sure there was a metal fence between Magnum and Myles, but Myles still had a visual on Magnum as he was running away and should've made contact with one of his shots (imo)....splitting hairs, but it drives me crazy. :wink:

Gearhard
Lieutenant Commander

#5 Post by Gearhard »

The SUV stalker was mentioned in passing to keep the story alive. We will get back to the SUV stalker at some point this season.

Here's a wild speculation: Dr Ethan was working for Drs without borders in Afghanistan. He falls in love with a local woman (who happens to be supplying guns/ammo to the Taliban). The woman gets caught in a raid by Magnum and team and killed in the cross fire. Dr Ethan vows revenge, tracks down Magnum in Hawaii, and figures he can get close to Magnum via Higgins.

Another subtle refresher last episode that Higgins mentioned "Abby" (Magnum's early season love interest lawyer who moved to the mainland). After we resolve the Dr Ethan puzzle, Jules will be looking hungrily at TM when phone rings and guess who it is? Yep - Abby wanting to get back together - Aloha and Mahalo.

Amian
Admiral

#6 Post by Amian »

KENJI wrote: Sat Feb 20, 2021 1:00 pm Gordie really crosses the line in this one by turning a blind eye to Magnum & Co's involvement in the jail break.
You can tell Magnum is really appreciative for this act of friendship.......I'll put money on it that Magnum comes to Gordie's rescue down the road by either rescuing him or better yet saving his son Dennis.
Obviously Higgins and Magnum's "friendship" grows a little closer in this episode, probably more for Magnum. Higgins receives a perfectly timed phone call from Ethan that reminds Magnum that she is in a relationship with another guy.
I also thought the emotional scenes were done pretty well this episode. Actually, Katsumoto surprised me by going along like that. The jail break seemed too preposterous at first, but I went along and it was fine. Ha.
KENJI wrote: Sat Feb 20, 2021 1:00 pm Magnum's fight scene was one of the better ones.....also liked how Myles dies in the fight by landing on a piece of rebar. ... One of my pet peeves is when a bad guy has a gun and shoots it a half dozen times and can't hit his target. I would've rather seen Myles shoot at Magnum once maybe twice and then Magnum finds cover from a crate, a boat etc. faster than what happened in the scene. Sure there was a metal fence between Magnum and Myles, but Myles still had a visual on Magnum as he was running away and should've made contact with one of his shots (imo)....splitting hairs, but it drives me crazy. :wink:
Yes, the fight scene was pretty good! OG Magnum used his fists a bit more than Reboot Mag, and I liked seeing that show up. Between the rebar this week and the brother getting run over the other week, there have been a few surprising deaths!

The director should have never shown that viewpoint that Myles had when shooting at Magnum. I was positive we were in for Magnum getting shot, but somehow this trained military guy couldn't hit his target at relatively close distance. Anyway, Myles missed, and I accepted that one without too much deep thought either. :)