Quotes

For discussions about the new CBS Magnum P.I. reboot

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

KENJI
Fleet Admiral

Quotes

#1 Post by KENJI »

Name the episode and the quote.
Last edited by KENJI on Tue Jun 30, 2020 12:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Laohu
Fleet Admiral

Re: Great Quotes

#2 Post by Laohu »

S1 E19 Blood in the water

Kenny 'Shammy' Shamberg: You just want everything to be perfect.
Theodore 'TC' Calvin: Yeah. I wanted to take him on a tour. Just show off a little. But what's a helicopter business without a helicopter?
Kenny 'Shammy' Shamberg: TC, I know you want to show him how well you're doing, but I have a feeling he already knows. I'm sure he just wants to see you.
Orville 'Rick' Wright: Yeah, and that being said, is this really what you were gonna wear?
Theodore 'TC' Calvin: What? This t-shirt is sharp.
Orville 'Rick' Wright: "Sharp t-shirt" is an oxymoron.
Theodore 'TC' Calvin: You're an oxymoron. It's not like I'm a businessman.
Orville 'Rick' Wright: All right, you know what, you're not a businessman; you're a business, man. You got to dress to impress, like me.
Theodore 'TC' Calvin: All right, I'll change. But not like you. I ain't wearing no silk shirt unbuttoned to my navel.
Orville 'Rick' Wright: [Shammy laughs] It's not that low.
[TC and Shammy start to leave]
Orville 'Rick' Wright: [following them] It's not that low. I-I'm usually a sternum guy. That's where I cut it off. Sternum. TC, I never go lower than the sternum.

Luther's nephew Dobie
Fleet Admiral

#3 Post by Luther's nephew Dobie »

KENJI wrote:Name the episode and the great quote.
KENJI,
I like the following quote but I can't recall what episode it it from, maybe someone can tell me -

T.C.: "Somewhere, somehow, I'm going to get you for this. Higgie baby, I can't wait until this is over."
Higgins: "T.C., baby, it ain't over until it's over." (John Hillerman using his normal Texas accent)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Banacek(George Peppard):
"Though the hippopotamus has no stinger in his tail, the wise man would rather be sat on by the bee."
"When an owl comes to a mouse picnic, it's not there for the sack races."

ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan)
Fleet Admiral

#4 Post by ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) »

MiniMag, PI has great quotes?? :shock: :roll: What did I miss??

I think somewhere in Peter Lenkov's contract it stipulates that "my shows are exempt from good dialogue".

Lenkov prepping for a new episode:

C4 - check
explosive charges - check
grenades - check
assault rifles - check
hand guns - check

script? - meh, not important

Reef monkey
Fleet Admiral

#5 Post by Reef monkey »

I was curious to see if anyone was still watching it, looks like you are. Would you say that it has improved, or that it has just grown on you?
My essay "In Country: Place and Historical Connection in Magnum PI", about the importance of the Honolulu/Vietnam connection in the show:
http://magnum-mania.com/Forum/viewtopic ... 850#p57850

Luther's nephew Dobie
Fleet Admiral

#6 Post by Luther's nephew Dobie »

Reef monkey wrote:I was curious to see if anyone was still watching it, looks like you are. Would you say that it has improved, or that it has just grown on you?
Hi Reef monkey,
The reboot did improve a lot since season one, I have in mind the last 8 episodes. On the other hand, it had nowhere to go but up.
The moronic mass firefights with automatic weapons are gone, the constant ever harping on their service time isn't so overt - they went to Hawaii to
forget about it - and instead it introduced disabled vets into the story line while allowing them not to be pigeonholed as handicapped.
Their buddy in the wheelchair - forgot his name - is a nice occasional character.
There also is a Hawaiian petty thief character that, I kid you not, is a delightful addition who would have fit in on Classic Magnum.
They are also junking the rote imitation of Classic Magnum, which was a huge strategic mistake from the get go that alienated me and countless other Magnum
fans. Now they are going for a Hawaiian Eye style Detective Agency with Higgins in charge, which will allow Juliet to assume the same relationship dynamic
with Magnum that we enjoyed on the original series.
This new setup will also allow the series to cut down Jay's screen time as he just hasn't got what it takes to carry a series, he is strictly a second banana.
This will benefit Jay as his faults won't be so exposed, like the fourth outfielder on a baseball team, who, if he played everyday, would have the holes in
his game magnified.
I said elsewhere that the feel of the show by the end of the season was so different - and better - that it probably was because Lenkov was busy with
wrapping up his Hawaii 5-0 golden goose and his minions were able to address some of what went wrong with Magnum junior.
Every episode now finds a reason to follow Juliet from behind in a lingering shot as she does have an inviting gait. I count that as a good thing.
Perdita is an excellent actress, and I'd bet dollars to doughnuts that next season she will garner the same amount of screen time as Jay.
Reef monkey, if you can divorce yourself from memories of Classic Magnum, the reboot next year might just be a decent time waster.
But if Lenkov brings back the world's worst actor as Luther Gillis again I will find him and give him a wedgie, I have no doubt his shorts will
feature a racing stripe or two.

KENJI
Fleet Admiral

Re: Quotes

#7 Post by KENJI »

S:2 E:8 He Came By Night

Magnum: ......Thanks Gordie....By the way, I promise never to lie to you again.
Gordie: You just did.

Also,

Magnum: ......and I can read between the lines.
Higgins: You can't read the actual line Magnum.

Another one,

Higgins: I just want us to be equal partners.
Magnum: We're not going to be equal. (PAUSE) You maybe just a little bit better than me and if you tell anybody that I said that, I'll deny it.