Peter Lenkov

For discussions about the new CBS Magnum P.I. reboot

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

KENJI
Fleet Admiral

Peter Lenkov

#1 Post by KENJI »

I found this article about Peter very interesting-enjoy!

http://hiluxury.com/features/cover-stor ... -eight-12/

Core 4
Vice Admiral

Re: Peter Lenkov

#2 Post by Core 4 »

Not everyone knows, but Peter is a huge fan of the original Magnum P.I. His father was a fan of the original Hawaii Five-O, and Peter watched the show with him as a child. But it Magnum P.I. was his favorite series that he loved. And he talked about it many times.

Peter about Magnum P.I. in past interviews. In 2012 for The Hollywod Reporter:

The show that inspired me to write:
Lenkov: Magnum P.I. In fact, there was this incredibly cool episode entitled "Did You See the Sunrise" written by Don Bellisario that turned on the lightbulb. Got me dreaming, thinking I'd like to write something like that some day.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/ ... kov-375640

And another (from 2011):

But the Emmy-nominated writer would still make the trek home from school at lunch just to watch The Flintstones -- and then, after school, catch a marathon of episodes of his favorite dramas Magnum, P.I. and Hawaii Five-0. In fact, it was the episode in which Magnum confronted and killed the person who'd held him as a POW that inspired Lenkov to start writing. "I'd never seen an episode like that," says Lenkov, 45. "I realized it was possible to take someone on an emotional journey in a short period of time.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/lists ... wer-246932

And from 2017:

This was my jam growing up. It had everything a teenage boy could want – a strong hero, action, laughs, girls in bikinis and a super-cool car. It was fluff, popcorn entertainment, but it’s also the reason I wanted to be a TV writer. Well, it was one episode in particular – an early episode in season three entitled: Did You See the Sun Rise?. It was a mythology episode, chock full of backstory on my beloved characters – Thomas, Rick and TC.

The episode made sense of their bond, their dedication to one another and the reason these three mainlanders all ended up in Hawaii together. At the end of that particular episode, Magnum did something completely unexpected, something I had never seen a hero do before – he shot his nemesis in cold blood. Justified or not, the moment blew my mind. And I knew then and there I wanted to do just that – tell stories that would surprise people, and maybe even blow their minds.

http://dramaquarterly.com/peter-lenkov/

KENJI
Fleet Admiral

#3 Post by KENJI »

Core 4 wrote:Not everyone knows, but Peter is a huge fan of the original Magnum P.I. His father was a fan of the original Hawaii Five-O, and Peter watched the show with him as a child. But it Magnum P.I. was his favorite series that he loved. And he talked about it many times.

Peter about Magnum P.I. in past interviews. In 2012 for The Hollywod Reporter:

The show that inspired me to write:
Lenkov: Magnum P.I. In fact, there was this incredibly cool episode entitled "Did You See the Sunrise" written by Don Bellisario that turned on the lightbulb. Got me dreaming, thinking I'd like to write something like that some day.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/ ... kov-375640

And another (from 2011):

But the Emmy-nominated writer would still make the trek home from school at lunch just to watch The Flintstones -- and then, after school, catch a marathon of episodes of his favorite dramas Magnum, P.I. and Hawaii Five-0. In fact, it was the episode in which Magnum confronted and killed the person who'd held him as a POW that inspired Lenkov to start writing. "I'd never seen an episode like that," says Lenkov, 45. "I realized it was possible to take someone on an emotional journey in a short period of time.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/lists ... wer-246932

And from 2017:

This was my jam growing up. It had everything a teenage boy could want – a strong hero, action, laughs, girls in bikinis and a super-cool car. It was fluff, popcorn entertainment, but it’s also the reason I wanted to be a TV writer. Well, it was one episode in particular – an early episode in season three entitled: Did You See the Sun Rise?. It was a mythology episode, chock full of backstory on my beloved characters – Thomas, Rick and TC.

The episode made sense of their bond, their dedication to one another and the reason these three mainlanders all ended up in Hawaii together. At the end of that particular episode, Magnum did something completely unexpected, something I had never seen a hero do before – he shot his nemesis in cold blood. Justified or not, the moment blew my mind. And I knew then and there I wanted to do just that – tell stories that would surprise people, and maybe even blow their minds.

http://dramaquarterly.com/peter-lenkov/
That makes total sense why he would want to start with " I Saw the Sun Rise" assuming it will be similar to the original's "Did You See the Sunrise"....thanks for sharing that with us Core 4!

Styles Bitchley
Magnum Wristwatch Aficionado / Deputy SpamHammer

#4 Post by Styles Bitchley »

Yeah. I’m digging this guy. I may not like it, but it sounds like the show is in good hands.
"How fiendishly deceptive of you Magnum. I could have sworn I was hearing the emasculation of a large rodent."

- J.Q.H.

T.Q.
Fleet Admiral

#5 Post by T.Q. »

Styles Bitchley wrote:Yeah. I’m digging this guy. I may not like it, but it sounds like the show is in good hands.
Thought that way about JJ Abrams with Star Wars VII.

He’s my age. Grew up Star Wars kid like me.

Thought it would be awesome...

Then he delivered The Force Awakens.

:shock:
Knocking my rubber chicken or my sloppy habits is within the rules, but you're attacking my character. I would like to think you don't mean that.

☨magnum.t
Admiral

#6 Post by ☨magnum.t »

Yeah starting off with an episode like "Did You See the Sunrise" would be a huge mistake. If the original had used that as the pilot it would have been a completely different show. And quite honestly if your lead character shoots somebody like Magnum did Ivan and you don't have countless hours of pre story and character building context than the audience is just going to think he's a bit off his rocker.
That reminds me of the time....

Core 4
Vice Admiral

#7 Post by Core 4 »

☨magnum.t wrote:Yeah starting off with an episode like "Did You See the Sunrise" would be a huge mistake. If the original had used that as the pilot it would have been a completely different show. And quite honestly if your lead character shoots somebody like Magnum did Ivan and you don't have countless hours of pre story and character building context than the audience is just going to think he's a bit off his rocker.
There will probably be a few similarities, but I doubt that the pilot will have the same storyline as "Did You See the Sunrise" episode. Personally, I suspect Ivan may be Big Bad for season 1.

Styles Bitchley
Magnum Wristwatch Aficionado / Deputy SpamHammer

#8 Post by Styles Bitchley »

T.Q. wrote:

Which was pretty awesome! The Last Jedi? Not so much.
"How fiendishly deceptive of you Magnum. I could have sworn I was hearing the emasculation of a large rodent."

- J.Q.H.

T.Q.
Fleet Admiral

#9 Post by T.Q. »

Styles Bitchley wrote:
T.Q. wrote:

Which was pretty awesome! The Last Jedi? Not so much.
Really?

I was expecting a continuation of the story of our childhood heroes.

Something new and unique.

Not a rehash (basically) of A New Hope with our heroes being deadbeats.

To each their own. :D
Knocking my rubber chicken or my sloppy habits is within the rules, but you're attacking my character. I would like to think you don't mean that.

marlboro
Baron Of GIFs

#10 Post by marlboro »

The last Star Wars movie that i liked was Empire Strikes Back. Since then its been Ewoks, Jar Jar, rehashes, and CGI out the wazoo.

Blade Runner 2049 is how you do a sequel justice. Too bad it bombed.

MagnumsLeftShoulder
Fleet Admiral

#11 Post by MagnumsLeftShoulder »

T.Q. wrote:
Styles Bitchley wrote:Yeah. I’m digging this guy. I may not like it, but it sounds like the show is in good hands.
Thought that way about JJ Abrams with Star Wars VII.

He’s my age. Grew up Star Wars kid like me.

Thought it would be awesome...

LOL! :D JJ Abrams ruins everything he touches including his own creations! He ruined Felicity with the ending. He ruined Alias by making it too complicated to follow and Lost just fizzled out at the end. Both Star Trek and Star Wars sucked.

Steve
Fleet Admiral

#12 Post by Steve »

Yep, I am liking the guy more and more plus, he is a car and motorcycle collector. I think we will be a-ok with this man in charge...