Season 3 Episode 1: Double Jeopardy (3.1)

For discussions about the new CBS Magnum P.I. reboot

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

How Would You Rate This Episode?

Perfect
17%
One of the Best
No votes
Excellent
25%
Very Good
25%
Pretty Good
8%
Decent
8%
Average at Best
No votes
Not So Good
No votes
Pretty Bad
No votes
Just Awful
8%
Refuse to Watch
8%

Total votes: 12

KENJI
Fleet Admiral

Re: Season 3 Episode 1: Double Jeopardy (3.1)

#16 Post by KENJI »

Luther's nephew Dobie wrote: Sat Dec 12, 2020 6:55 am
KENJI wrote: Sat Dec 05, 2020 5:42 am Higgins suggestion of changing the Ferrari plates from Robin-2 to Higgins-2 actually happens in this episode. I can't say I like it, but I'm sure the plates will return to the originals soon enough.
Magnum is definitely out of sorts with Dr. Ethan Shaw asking her out on a date.
He even tried to have a deep conversation with Higgins after leaving the hospital, but she basically blew it off by changing the subject. At least she changed her mind on evicting him out of the guest house....as if that was going to happen.
I did smile when Higgins called Thomas a Wally when he was putting her in the Ferrari after being shot.
The new season couldn't help but be better with the exit of the old producer. It was also the right move to elevate Higgins to co-star status, she has as many lines if not more than Jay's Magnum.
I like'd the Wally bit as well, there should be more of that as if you deleted her accent there isn't a lot about her that signals she isn't American if one just tuned in. An upper class highly educated
aristo should be markedly different in a definite English way in how she deports herself, in contrast to Magnum's crew. Like Classic Higgins, pained disdain for Magnum's shenanigans couldn't
help but show up in her reactions all the time.
Classic Magnum fans, this remake is no longer the train wreck it was when this series started. If you can just put the original Magnum out of your mind and accept this version as a light weight
friday night diversion, it's perfectly acceptable. Jay suffered by comparison to Selleck as anyone would, so the producers junked the original dynamic, it's now a Hawaiian Eye like detective
agency show, with a little 77 Sunset Strip thrown in. Two lead private investigators and their helpers. Give it another shot, I think you might change your mind about putting the whole
production on a slow boat to China.
Hi Dobie,

If you enjoyed the Wally comment you'll love the comment she makes in the next episode. I agree that Higgins is huge part of this reboot and her co-star status is key for any chance of longevity.
I also agree with your last comment. It's definitely not in the league of the original, but if you enjoy Hawaii scenery, nice cars etc., it's acceptable. I think one of the main reasons the show didn't fizzle out in season 1 or 2 is creating that separation from the original and they did that by casting Higgins as a female. At first I was rolling my eyes like all of us, but it actually works with Purdy playing the part. I do enjoy her witty comments and her fight scenes, even when they are a little far fetched. I think if they had cast a male in this role they would've been copying the original too closely and would've been criticized even more. The other way they could've created some separation would've been having Magnum's daughter, Lily as the lead and Higgins played by a male. They chose a female Higgins and Purdy pulls it off. The original will ALWAYS be #1 in my eyes and the reboot will never be a close second, but I can still watch it even if the storylines or action scenes are far fetched at times. I'm sure others will disagree and that's okay....it's not for everyone. I just like we have something new to discuss (civilly :wink: ) on this fantastic site. :D

Laohu
Fleet Admiral

#17 Post by Laohu »

Hi Kenji ,
WOW that was fast ! I did not think they would let that watch plot line end so quick . With the shorten season this year maybe they have to rush a little to tell all the story they want to tell ?

KENJI
Fleet Admiral

#18 Post by KENJI »

You could be right Laohu.....not knowing all the storyline content they have planned makes it difficult to say for sure, but it's quite possible.
I like Gearhard's idea for who is driving the white Escalade....that could eat up a lot of this season if they go that route.....take a look in the Season3 Episode 2 thread for his idea....could be a good one if they do it right!!

Amian
Admiral

#19 Post by Amian »

Laohu wrote: Tue Dec 08, 2020 10:48 pm Hi Amian ,
It is mentioned that Gordon does confiscate the rifle from Rick . Knowing this I would say that Rick does not have all the proper paper work to own the rifle . I would not go as far as saying that no one is allowed to own one , each state has it’s own laws .
I do remember that Katsumoto confiscated Betty. I guess I meant that the gun looked a little too high-powered for a civilian to own, but I imagine you're right... different places, different rules. And this is fantasy Hawaii, so anything goes!

I guess this means that Rick and T.C. get the immunity granted to Magnum and Higgins? I recall Katsumoto saying that he'd have to excuse a few breaches of the law since the team usually does good in the end. Wonder if that'll bite him in a later episode...

Laohu
Fleet Admiral

#20 Post by Laohu »

Hi Amian ,
I would say that Rick in T.C. fall in the F.O.M ( friends of Magnum ) category. I hope it does cause Gordon some problems ar some point just to try to keep things grounded .

Amian
Admiral

#21 Post by Amian »

Laohu wrote: Tue Dec 15, 2020 3:38 am Hi Amian ,
I would say that Rick in T.C. fall in the F.O.M ( friends of Magnum ) category. I hope it does cause Gordon some problems ar some point just to try to keep things grounded .
F.O.M., I like that! And I agree, Katsumoto is getting a little fast and loose with the rules.

KENJI
Fleet Admiral

#22 Post by KENJI »

Magnum mentions in this episode that Higgins owns 9 cars now.
It will be interesting to see if all 9 will make an appearance on the show. I doubt we will see all 9 at once, but that would make for a great shot.
Higgins does mention she will be returning the estate and all of the assets to Robin when she figures things out.

I liked the comment Gordon makes when he says..... for the last 3 yrs (or 3 seasons :wink: ) I have been Charlie Brown, Magnum is Lucy and truth and honesty are the football.
This season the writers are trying to make Gordon more part of the gang or a buddy, than just a detective, I doubt he would be dropping off a Chubby burger for Rick just because in either season 1 or 2.

Amian
Admiral

#23 Post by Amian »

KENJI wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 2:04 pmThis season the writers are trying to make Gordon more part of the gang or a buddy, than just a detective, I doubt he would be dropping off a Chubby burger for Rick just because in either season 1 or 2.
Yes, they're really making Katsumoto a major part of the show, far more than in the original. I like him, but it seems like they now have to make his character far more lenient and willing to overlook Magnum's rule bending. I kind of preferred Katsumoto as a by the book kind of guy. Plus, in the original, I liked how Magnum was always a bit anti-establishment and not working closely with the cops for the most part.