No season 5, reboot cancelled

For discussions about the new CBS Magnum P.I. reboot

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

eagle
Fleet Admiral

Re: No season 5, reboot cancelled

#31 Post by eagle »

T.Q. wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 12:25 am Only thing I liked about Minimag was the updated Island Hoppers van.

Wonder if they're auctioning it off. :lol:
I am a VW fan, so I missed TC's Vanagon.

But I'm also a Ford fan (current ride is a 2013 F-150), so I liked the updated van too. :magnum:

T.Q.
Fleet Admiral

#32 Post by T.Q. »

Read today officially, as someone already speculated, that Universal is shopping Minimag to other networks and streaming services.
Knocking my rubber chicken or my sloppy habits is within the rules, but you're attacking my character. I would like to think you don't mean that.

Laohu
Fleet Admiral

#33 Post by Laohu »

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/mag ... 26816.html

‘Magnum P.I.’ May Be Rescued By NBC & USA Network Following CBS Cancellation

T.Q.
Fleet Admiral

#34 Post by T.Q. »

I don't get the economics myself.

Episode 18-49 Demo Demo Change Viewers (million) Viewers (change)

04-12 0.49 -2.00% 5.430 -5.83%
04-13 0.45 -8.16% 5.215 -3.96%
04-14 0.43 -4.44% 5.213 -0.04%
04-15 0.35 -18.60% 4.875 -6.48%
04-16 0.41 17.14% 5.007 2.71%
04-17 0.38 -7.32% 4.866 -2.82%
04-18 0.40 5.26% 5.312 9.17%
04-19 0.31 -22.50% 4.808 -9.49%
04-20 0.34 9.68% 5.055 5.14%

I'd actually like to learn more about it.

How a show costing (who knows $1/2M - $1M an episode?) can be a desirable pick-up with only 4 -5 million viewers and bad key demo numbers.
Knocking my rubber chicken or my sloppy habits is within the rules, but you're attacking my character. I would like to think you don't mean that.

Aloha Friday
Admiral

#35 Post by Aloha Friday »

I think a lot of the season 4 numbers has more to do with CBS not running the show for weeks at a time,,,weeks would go by in between some episodes. I think viewers didn't know when it was on or not.
Aloha Friday
Tidewater, Virginia

T.Q.
Fleet Admiral

#36 Post by T.Q. »

Aloha Friday
Admiral

#37 Post by Aloha Friday »

I'm a huge fan of the original show...since the original episode aired, but I also watched the new show. I liked it compared to anything else the networks are producing, but think the problem overall is Hollywood is lazy. They lack of any real original ideas, but a reboot of Magnum PI after almost 35 years isn't impossible. Look at the Bond franchise. After Sean Connery how could anyone else play Bond? Each version of Bond did have their own place in their time, though. Roger Moore, my least favorite at the moment was way too campy, but he was popular as James Bond in the 1970s. His movies didn't even try to follow the book's storylines. After the success of the Hawaii 5-O reboot, Magnum was a natural to follow. I think it could have had its place in time, but the looming romance between Higgins and Magnum was a show killer. The writers never should have fallen into that storyline. It was lazy. It was Fonzie jumping the shark on Happy Days. The antagonistic relationship they had in the first few episodes was more in line with the original Magnum v Higgins, but once the will they, or won't they game started, the show was over. Maybe Jay Hernandez wasn't strong enough as a lead to carry the story week to week. I think he was miscast. I think the guy that played Rick would have made a better Magnum. I think another problem the show had is trying to meet all of the diversity requirements a TV show is supposed to check off. Hard to write around all that.
Aloha Friday
Tidewater, Virginia

Luther's nephew Dobie
Fleet Admiral

#38 Post by Luther's nephew Dobie »

Magnum P.I.' Saved After CBS Cancellation by Fellow Network

See the "It's ALIVE...Baron Frankenstein" thread.

emenius
Commander

#39 Post by emenius »

I wanted to really like the show but lost interest after season 1. It seemed that Magnum had little need for TC and Rick's help most of the time. His reliance on Higgins for most things he needs kinda got old. I didn't like a/b story line setup after a while. The show had a different feel, the aspect of his friends or Higgins making fun of his cases or the fact that he can be foolish at times got put in the back burner.

Ed

terryfromkerry
Fleet Admiral

#40 Post by terryfromkerry »

Breaking news indicates the reboot has been rescued by NBC for a further 2 seasons. Respect to the reboot fans who launched an impassioned social media campaign to save the show. This type of passion has to be commended.
"Oh Jonathan !....oh Jonathan, come quickly ...... your hot cross buns are smoking".

Luther's nephew Dobie
Fleet Admiral

#41 Post by Luther's nephew Dobie »

terryfromkerry wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 11:53 am Breaking news indicates the reboot has been rescued by NBC for a further 2 seasons.
Respect to the reboot fans who launched an impassioned social media campaign to save the show. This type of passion has to be commended.
Terry,
It boils down to a good business deal. Four years on CBS plus the name recognition from Classic Magnum plus an established fan base equals money to be had
when you have 100 episodes for the rerun package. The budget will be leaner which will force more traditional, cheaper to film detective stories which
should be a plus. I just hope the reboot reruns don't adversely affect Classic Magnum's situation, with stations opting for the newer version.

I also hope Roger E. Mosley and Larry Manetti can appear together in an episode. Does anybody know Larry's health status?
This two season deal totals 20 episodes, 10 a year, maybe they could get Tom Selleck to cameo in the 20th and last episode.
At the rate he is writing his bio it won't be out for two years, so a cameo could be good promotion for his book.

terryfromkerry
Fleet Admiral

#42 Post by terryfromkerry »

Hey Dobie,
Always a pleasure to read your posts. It would be great to see Roger and Larry together again perhaps in a crossover episode with Blue Bloods while Commissioner Frank Reagan is on a well deserved vacation in Paradise. :D
Hopefully the leaner budget does not necessitate an electric Ferrari :x
It seems to me there are plenty fans for both the classic MPI and the reboot :magnum:
"Oh Jonathan !....oh Jonathan, come quickly ...... your hot cross buns are smoking".

jno
Captain

#43 Post by jno »

I'll confess, I am happy they have brought back the new show. Sure, it AIN'T original Magnum, but I have been enjoying this alternative version for a few years and well done to all concerned for getting Magnum back on air. Nothing will spoil the legacy of original Magnum, it will always be a classic show - the reboot is a different but still enjoyable show, though I can understand those who might disagree.

8)

Magnum4eva
Rear Admiral

#44 Post by Magnum4eva »

terryfromkerry wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 10:14 am Hey Dobie,
Always a pleasure to read your posts. It would be great to see Roger and Larry together again perhaps in a crossover episode with Blue Bloods while Commissioner Frank Reagan is on a well deserved vacation in Paradise. :D
Hopefully the leaner budget does not necessitate an electric Ferrari :x
It seems to me there are plenty fans for both the classic MPI and the reboot :magnum:
I'm certainly not one of the fans of the reboot at all and I won't EVER watch it, like, ever lol but I will give it to the ones that actually like it to show passion. It's just sad to me that we'll never get to see the real Magnum's cast together again with first the loss of John Hillerman and now Roger Mosley but thankfully the reruns and dvds will always be here. Though I'd say the fandom of the original and mini mag are pretty different. I see far more "haters" of mini mag. I think Mini mag is polarizing with a lot of people either outright hating it or enjoying it but not too many in the middle from what I've seen. Though i know that there those in the middle.

Magnum4eva
Rear Admiral

#45 Post by Magnum4eva »

jno wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 3:11 pm I'll confess, I am happy they have brought back the new show. Sure, it AIN'T original Magnum, but I have been enjoying this alternative version for a few years and well done to all concerned for getting Magnum back on air. Nothing will spoil the legacy of original Magnum, it will always be a classic show - the reboot is a different but still enjoyable show, though I can understand those who might disagree.

8)
But see, that's what I'm worried about is Magnum's legacy and Tom Selleck's as well getting replaced. I know it may seem silly but it's how I feel. Like you said though I can understand people who disagree. All I know is that those four actors will ALWAYS be Magnum, TC, Rick and Higgins for me and that ain't changing.