Season 3 Episode 5: The Day Danger Walked In (3.5)

For discussions about the new CBS Magnum P.I. reboot

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

How Would You Rate This Episode?

Perfect
13%
One of the Best
No votes
Excellent
25%
Very Good
13%
Pretty Good
25%
Decent
13%
Average at Best
No votes
Not So Good
No votes
Pretty Bad
No votes
Just Awful
13%
Refuse to Watch
No votes

Total votes: 8

KENJI
Fleet Admiral

Season 3 Episode 5: The Day Danger Walked In (3.5)

#1 Post by KENJI »

Just a title at this point.
Last edited by KENJI on Sat Jan 16, 2021 2:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

KENJI
Fleet Admiral

Re: Season 3 Episode 5: The Day Danger Walked In (3.5)

#2 Post by KENJI »

As a major hurricane hits the Island, Magnum and his friends find shelter inside La Mariana, along with two armed killers also escaping the dangerous storm.

This episode sounds similar to The Big Blow in the original series, swapping out Robin's Nest for Rick bar, La Mariana. It will be interesting to see how it plays out.
Another interesting tidbit.....The Big Blow was in season 3 too!!

KENJI
Fleet Admiral

#3 Post by KENJI »

Trailer promo........

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wbc-X552HmM

It looks like Ethan is in this episode fighting off the gunmen.

KENJI
Fleet Admiral

#4 Post by KENJI »

Just found a better clip and Ethan might get shot in this episode......at least it appears to be Ethan.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wbc-X552HmM

KENJI
Fleet Admiral

#5 Post by KENJI »

Nice to see Roger Moseley in this episode! He played a significant part in this one helping with Team Magnum escape from the freezer.
He did say turkey once AND refused a beer which original Magnum viewers will appreciate.
Ethan gets shot in the leg while trying to be the hero. Higgins has to play doctor and remove the bullet from Ethan.
Thomas comes to terms that he now has to share Higgins with Ethan and Higgins hints this relationship could be getting serious.
It will be interesting to see if Ethan's youth syphoning gas etc. will come into play....i.e. ......he's not as clean cut as they are making him out to be....time will tell.
So far, he doesn't seem to be the evil villain....comes across as Mr. Nice Guy that everyone now likes.....a perfect time to give us a good twist......make that at the end of this season. :wink:

Amian
Admiral

#6 Post by Amian »

KENJI wrote: Sat Jan 16, 2021 4:44 am Nice to see Roger Moseley in this episode! He played a significant part in this one helping with Team Magnum escape from the freezer.
He did say turkey once AND refused a beer which original Magnum viewers will appreciate.
Those were good scenes... I laughed when he refused the beer.
KENJI wrote: Sat Jan 16, 2021 4:44 amEthan gets shot in the leg while trying to be the hero. Higgins has to play doctor and remove the bullet from Ethan. Thomas comes to terms that he now has to share Higgins with Ethan and Higgins hints this relationship could be getting serious. It will be interesting to see if Ethan's youth syphoning gas etc. will come into play....i.e. ......he's not as clean cut as they are making him out to be....time will tell.
So far, he doesn't seem to be the evil villain....comes across as Mr. Nice Guy that everyone now likes.....a perfect time to give us a good twist......make that at the end of this season. :wink:
Overall a strong episode, but that scene in the rain with Magnum and Ethan was cheesy. But I think you're right they're trying to build up Ethan's character so that his inevitable demise hits harder. Don't know whether he's a bad guy or just a good guy who has to be sacrificed to the TV gods, but it's coming.

Don't know if this counts as a flub, but how do you get rain dripping through a spot in the ceiling like in this episode? Aren't there lots of layers between the roof and the interior in a commercial building like that? If you actually had a roof leak, I think you'd have some serious damage.

Gearhard
Lieutenant Commander

#7 Post by Gearhard »

It is hard not to like Dr Ethan after this episode. All the more reason he likely becomes a bad guy.

Did you notice the quick drop of a reminder, "we still don't know who was in that white SUV...".

The original TC was solid in this episode, but please, no more Kareoke.

Will we get to see Larry Manetti again this season? I like the new Rick Wright (he needs to be called Or-ville more often). Old Rick always got beat up in every fight (that he many times started).

And it's been a few weeks since I saw Perdita/Jules kick someone's butt (while wearing yoga pants).

Glenn

KENJI
Fleet Admiral

#8 Post by KENJI »

Amian wrote: Sun Jan 17, 2021 6:47 pm
KENJI wrote: Sat Jan 16, 2021 4:44 am Nice to see Roger Moseley in this episode! He played a significant part in this one helping with Team Magnum escape from the freezer.
KENJI wrote: Sat Jan 16, 2021 4:44 amEthan gets shot in the leg while trying to be the hero. Higgins has to play doctor and remove the bullet from Ethan. Thomas comes to terms that he now has to share Higgins with Ethan and Higgins hints this relationship could be getting serious. It will be interesting to see if Ethan's youth syphoning gas etc. will come into play....i.e. ......he's not as clean cut as they are making him out to be....time will tell.
Overall a strong episode, but that scene in the rain with Magnum and Ethan was cheesy. But I think you're right they're trying to build up Ethan's character so that his inevitable demise hits harder. Don't know whether he's a bad guy or just a good guy who has to be sacrificed to the TV gods, but it's coming.

Don't know if this counts as a flub, but how do you get rain dripping through a spot in the ceiling like in this episode? Aren't there lots of layers between the roof and the interior in a commercial building like that? If you actually had a roof leak, I think you'd have some serious damage.
Hi Amian,

I loved your comment that Ethan (good or bad) will be sacrificed to the TV gods - too funny! :lol:
I agree the gods will take him, hopefully they do a good job of his exit and don't blow it. They need some good shock value like what we witnessed in the original show (i.e. Ivan being shot in cold blood by Magnum).....something we are not expecting.

KENJI
Fleet Admiral

#9 Post by KENJI »

Gearhard wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 4:11 am It is hard not to like Dr Ethan after this episode. All the more reason he likely becomes a bad guy.

Did you notice the quick drop of a reminder, "we still don't know who was in that white SUV...".

The original TC was solid in this episode, but please, no more Kareoke.

Will we get to see Larry Manetti again this season? I like the new Rick Wright (he needs to be called Or-ville more often). Old Rick always got beat up in every fight (that he many times started).

And it's been a few weeks since I saw Perdita/Jules kick someone's butt (while wearing yoga pants).

Glenn
Hi Glenn,

I'm hoping they make him a bad guy and yes, I did catch the quick drop about the white SUV which leads one to believe there is a connection.
Lets hope the writers come up with a good twist for us!

Yes, no more karaoke for Bookie (Roger) or dancing either which he did in his first appearance. I do hope he comes back a few more times though.

As for another Larry appearance.....who knows......I guess it depends on his health etc.. Right now the bar is hurting and Rick is cutting corners like his hurricane insurance :shock: to stay afloat , so I would think the piano player would be one of the first employees to be let go. :wink: Maybe when things pick up at the bar we will see him again. :wink:

terryfromkerry
Fleet Admiral

#10 Post by terryfromkerry »

Hi guys,
Don't forget Roger was well able to belt out a tune as the original TC. Remember "Operation:Silent Night". Agreed not kareoke but maybe "Under The Boardwalk" :D
"Oh Jonathan !....oh Jonathan, come quickly ...... your hot cross buns are smoking".

Luther's nephew Dobie
Fleet Admiral

#11 Post by Luther's nephew Dobie »

KENJI wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 9:55 pm
Amian wrote: Sun Jan 17, 2021 6:47 pm
Hi Amian,
I loved your comment that Ethan (good or bad) will be sacrificed to the TV gods - too funny! :lol:
I agree the gods will take him, hopefully they do a good job of his exit and don't blow it. They need some good shock value like what we witnessed in the original show (i.e. Ivan being shot in cold blood by Magnum).....something we are not expecting.
Hi Guys,
This is a pretty savvy bunch here, you guys are on to the various tricks of the scriptwriters and have convinced me that Ethan is toast. One thing I have often noticed watching a old cop or detective show is
that when there are a couple of main suspects, the most famous guest star is the killer, as that is the juiciest role. Unfortunately Hollywood no longer has a stable of noted character actors like Strother Martin
or Nita Talbot.

Amian
Admiral

#12 Post by Amian »

KENJI wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 9:55 pmI loved your comment that Ethan (good or bad) will be sacrificed to the TV gods - too funny! :lol:
Thanks, glad I could give you a chuckle!

I agree, Ethan's going to have be a big part of this season's conclusion. With Ivan, the showrunners had built him up for a long time (about 4 seasons at that point?). It would have been a shocking moment even if it hadn't been Ivan, but that fact it was Ivan made the impact far greater. (On the other hand, if it hadn't been Ivan, Magnum wouldn't have been killing anyone in the woods like that.) The reboot doesn't have any long-term baddies so far.

Amian
Admiral

#13 Post by Amian »

terryfromkerry wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 11:42 pm Hi guys,
Don't forget Roger was well able to belt out a tune as the original TC. Remember "Operation:Silent Night". Agreed not kareoke but maybe "Under The Boardwalk" :D
Would have actually been a nice nod to that episode if they'd had Bookie sing that!

Actually, I don't mind if they let him do some singing, but that scene was just a little too long. :)

terryfromkerry
Fleet Admiral

#14 Post by terryfromkerry »

You are so right Amien. It would have been "a nice nod" if Bookie had sung "Boardwalk". I did like the "nod" to the original TC when Bookie declined the offer of alcohol. :)
"Oh Jonathan !....oh Jonathan, come quickly ...... your hot cross buns are smoking".