Re: Kumu

#16 Post by Laohu »

https://youtu.be/Pnmmkn4gGdo

KingKC you might enjoy this .

Higgins (aka Bondtoys)
Fleet Admiral

#17 Post by Higgins (aka Bondtoys) »

perfectlykevin wrote:I see Kumu as the authority of Hawaiian culture and island history. They couldn't possibly have Higgins do this now that she isn't Hawaiian. It is almost like they broke the old Higgins character into 2 different people. Though neither does any actual real work for Mr. Masters :)
I see Kumu exactly the same way and hope that we will see her a bit more often in season2.

Laohu
Fleet Admiral

#18 Post by Laohu »

I see that as well but still see some of Agatha in her . She is some one to hang out with Higgins , she is the older woman that ogles Magnum . She brings the cultural element to the show . Most of the time we saw JQH doing something cultural Agatha was not far behind .

Higgins (aka Bondtoys)
Fleet Admiral

#19 Post by Higgins (aka Bondtoys) »

As much as I enjoy Agatha in the old show, I was always under the impression that most of her charity works an cultural knowledge was only to appeal JQH.

Kumu brings a kind of natural authority in things culture and heritage which makes it more credible.

But it‘s always good to see some bits from the past show being kept and I am quite sure that Lenkow is a massive fan of the old series and tries to show.

KingKC
Fleet Admiral

#20 Post by KingKC »

Laohu wrote:The pool table is kind of hidden by the sofa most of the time. It is in front of the big glass windows that I think might be sliding doors ? They have showed it several times the times I can point out that stand out to me are 1 when Katsumoto is waiting for him before giving him the police badge of his mentor who magnum solved his murder . 2 flashback scene when he is talking to Higgins about not telling her about being the security consultant.
The guest house and study has been in just about every episode I really can’t think of one that it does not . The main gate now has a video camera that can be seen on Higgins phone so maybe that draws away from its importance for you ?
We have seen one bedroom in the new guest house I am going to guess there are at least 2 so I don’t think we have seen all of it yet .
I thought you were talking about the guest house in the original series having a pool table. I still don't think the new series uses the estate as a setting for MPI like the old one did. The estate was much more prominent in the original and gave the show somewhat of a "home base." I just don't see that with the new one.

KingKC
Fleet Admiral

#21 Post by KingKC »

Laohu wrote:https://youtu.be/Pnmmkn4gGdo

Thanks but I am still confused because the pool table was in "Robin Masters' home" according to Kumu's explanation. She did not specify the set to be the guest house. In any event the sets come off as too modern and "sterile" to me and loses the ambiance that the original estate provided as a setting. Oh well...I guess I should chalk that up to the reboot.

Laohu
Fleet Admiral

#22 Post by Laohu »

Bondtoys.de wrote:As much as I enjoy Agatha in the old show, I was always under the impression that most of her charity works an cultural knowledge was only to appeal JQH.

Kumu brings a kind of natural authority in things culture and heritage which makes it more credible.

But it‘s always good to see some bits from the past show being kept and I am quite sure that Lenkow is a massive fan of the old series and tries to show.
I saw a interview with Lenkov awhile back where he said Magnum was his favorite show growing up . He wanted to reboot it first but Hawaii 50 came his way . Hawaii 50 was his dad’s favorite show so he took it . So it would seem he waited about 10 years to get this project off the ground .
I have enjoyed the Kumu Character Amy Hill has done a good job with the role . I really liked her acting in the season finale when Hanna had the gun on her .

Laohu
Fleet Admiral

#23 Post by Laohu »

KingKC wrote:

Thanks but I am still confused because the pool table was in "Robin Masters' home" according to Kumu's explanation. She did not specify the set to be the guest house. In any event the sets come off as too modern and "sterile" to me and loses the ambiance that the original estate provided as a setting. Oh well...I guess I should chalk that up to the reboot.

In this case I think Amy is speaking loosely as in the whole estate is Robin’s home “ As in Robin’s Nest “ the set is what is known as the guest house . . Later on in the tour she does say something about now we are in the main house as they move into other sets kind of telling you that they were not in the main house at the start of othe tour . I think this was done at the start of the series and done on the fly so she was ab living

KingKC
Fleet Admiral

#24 Post by KingKC »

Laohu wrote:
KingKC wrote:

In this case I think Amy is speaking loosely as in the whole estate is Robin’s home “ As in Robin’s Nest “ the set is what is known as the guest house . . Later on in the tour she does say something about now we are in the main house as they move into other sets kind of telling you that they were not in the main house at the start of othe tour . I think this was done at the start of the series and done on the fly so she was ab living
I think you are right. She did seem more attuned to the food!!!...lol

ACMS
Lieutenant Junior Grade

#25 Post by ACMS »

The aerial shots of the new estate look faked CGI.....

Is it a real Estate?

Laohu
Fleet Admiral

#26 Post by Laohu »

Hi ACMS ,
Like most things on TV and the Movies the estate is just a illusion. Just like the 80’s version the interior shots are filmed on a soundstage. Sadly the house in the 80’s version House has been demolished so when it was time to remake the show I would guess it was just cheaper and gave them more control over filming to just make it on a computer.
You can look here https://www.atlasofwonders.com/2018/09/ ... ilmed.html
It might give you a better idea of what they did .

Hope this helps

ACMS
Lieutenant Junior Grade

#27 Post by ACMS »

Thanks for the link.

Laohu
Fleet Admiral

#28 Post by Laohu »

Your welcome