For all the haters of the new show

For discussions about the new CBS Magnum P.I. reboot

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

Laohu
Fleet Admiral

Re: For all the haters of the new show

#46 Post by Laohu »

T.Q. wrote:
Bondtoys.de wrote:..and my remarks where not solely about this particular thread, dearest :D
I pretty much stopped posting on episode threads because I didn’t watch past 5 episodes so...

Here’s an idea that might bring you serenity.

You run the page. Then you can control who joins and posts.

Your getting warmer T. Q. But I still think it needs a little work . And for someone who claims not to want to fight you sure don’t miss any opportunity to egg it on .
:lol:

T.Q.
Fleet Admiral

#47 Post by T.Q. »

Laohu wrote:
Your getting warmer T. Q. But I still think it needs a little work . And for someone who claims not to want to fight you sure don’t miss any opportunity to egg it on .
[/quote]

Well, like I said.

I've generally stopped posting on episode threads.

Have responded to threads that are inaccurate like "ratings skyrocketing" [paraphrasing] and "Hey all you haters", etc.

Or got my back up when I thought you insinuated one is not a true fan if they don't like both series.

I'm WAY past being mad at Mini-Mag.

I see the state of current network shows.

If MacGyver can survive. Anything can.

Beyond that, I still like being goofy and making a bit of fun at the expense of Mini.

I think it's fans of the new show that are way too serious at this point now.
Knocking my rubber chicken or my sloppy habits is within the rules, but you're attacking my character. I would like to think you don't mean that.

Higgins (aka Bondtoys)
Fleet Admiral

#48 Post by Higgins (aka Bondtoys) »

T.Q. wrote:
I think it's fans of the new show that are way too serious at this point now.
When I am looking at the majority of posts in the reboot section, I'd say, that Fans of the "Old" Magnum PI series are way too serious about the reboot and not vice versa ;)

I't s not that people who enjoy the reboot are those who are constantly slamming threads and vent their hate for everything or nothing.
You have probably noticed this?

ConchRepublican
COZITV Magnum, P.I. SuperFan / Chief Barkeep - Flemingo Key

#49 Post by ConchRepublican »

T.Q. wrote:
Bondtoys.de wrote:..and my remarks where not solely about this particular thread, dearest :D
I pretty much stopped posting on episode threads because I didn’t watch past 5 episodes so...

Here’s an idea that might bring you serenity.

You run the page. Then you can control who joins and posts.

More like Walther PI . . . if you get my drift . . . ;-)
CoziTV Superfan spot
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPTmsykLQ04

KingKC
Fleet Admiral

#50 Post by KingKC »

[/quote]

I see the state of current network shows.

If MacGyver can survive. Anything can.

[/quote]

I have to totally agree. I made it through about 20 minutes of MacGyver before I sought out a rerun of anything. Very few current network shows keep my interest. I tolerate the new Magnum but I must admit I am still hoping (maybe beyond hope) that it will improve with better plot and character development. That is just me, though.

Amian
Admiral

#51 Post by Amian »

K Hale wrote:
Laohu wrote:In 2006 when the site was created the reboot did exist . The site looks like to me was trying to be complete as possible. With that in mind if the reboot had of existed when the site was made I have know doubt it would have been included . If you visit the opening page the top story is about the New show . If you go down a little farther you see a picture of Jay Hernandez the new Magnum . . The new Magnum has been included here . It is part of the “magnum PI story “ now . Conch you really seem to resent people enjoying the new show ? That’s how it comes across to me anyway ( sorry in advance if I am off the mark here ) those of us that come on here to talk about the new show don’t jump on the main part of the board to trash the old show we stay on the reboot section and talk about the reboot .
The site at the very least is sending a mixed massage with a section for reboot talk and stories on the opening page . One might think that this was a site for all things Magnum . I know some of you don’t feel that way but it is why I joined the site to begin with .
Here's the thing. Nobody is stopping you from talking about the new show, or even watching it.
Gotta admit, I don't think Laohu said anything about being prevented from "talking about" or "even watching" the MPI reboot. Were you responding to an older comment by Laohu, or just putting that out there?

On the other hand, maybe Laohu is being watched closely by family and friends who really hate the reboot, and, in fact, is being prevented from writing or watching freely. Free Laohu!!

K Hale
Fleet Admiral

#52 Post by K Hale »

Amian wrote:
K Hale wrote:
Laohu wrote:In 2006 when the site was created the reboot did exist . The site looks like to me was trying to be complete as possible. With that in mind if the reboot had of existed when the site was made I have know doubt it would have been included . If you visit the opening page the top story is about the New show . If you go down a little farther you see a picture of Jay Hernandez the new Magnum . . The new Magnum has been included here . It is part of the “magnum PI story “ now . Conch you really seem to resent people enjoying the new show ? That’s how it comes across to me anyway ( sorry in advance if I am off the mark here ) those of us that come on here to talk about the new show don’t jump on the main part of the board to trash the old show we stay on the reboot section and talk about the reboot .
The site at the very least is sending a mixed massage with a section for reboot talk and stories on the opening page . One might think that this was a site for all things Magnum . I know some of you don’t feel that way but it is why I joined the site to begin with .
Here's the thing. Nobody is stopping you from talking about the new show, or even watching it.
Gotta admit, I don't think Laohu said anything about being prevented from "talking about" or "even watching" the MPI reboot. Were you responding to an older comment by Laohu, or just putting that out there?
Neither.
Laohu wrote:One might think that this was a site for all things Magnum . I know some of you don’t feel that way but it is why I joined the site to begin with .
He says he joined the site to talk about the reboot. If he's not being prevented from doing that, then why is he questioning whether this is "a site for all things Magnum"? He's perfectly free to do exactly what he wants to do regarding the reboot. And so is everyone else. Within the forum rules, of course, which I don't believe include anything about everyone having to adore all the same stuff.
I didn't realize you were so addicted to pool.
It's not pool.
Billiards.
Snooker!
Snucker.
SNOOKER!

T.Q.
Fleet Admiral

#53 Post by T.Q. »

K Hale wrote: He says he joined the site to talk about the reboot. If he's not being prevented from doing that, then why is he questioning whether this is "a site for all things Magnum"? He's perfectly free to do exactly what he wants to do regarding the reboot. And so is everyone else. Within the forum rules, of course, which I don't believe include anything about everyone having to adore all the same stuff.
Knocking my rubber chicken or my sloppy habits is within the rules, but you're attacking my character. I would like to think you don't mean that.

Amian
Admiral

#54 Post by Amian »

K Hale wrote:
Amian wrote:
K Hale wrote:Here's the thing. Nobody is stopping you from talking about the new show, or even watching it.
Neither.
Laohu wrote:One might think that this was a site for all things Magnum . I know some of you don’t feel that way but it is why I joined the site to begin with .
He says he joined the site to talk about the reboot. If he's not being prevented from doing that, then why is he questioning whether this is "a site for all things Magnum"? He's perfectly free to do exactly what he wants to do regarding the reboot. And so is everyone else. Within the forum rules, of course, which I don't believe include anything about everyone having to adore all the same stuff.
Looking over the totality of Laohu's comments, I don't see him writing anything about this issue of being prevented from doing something. I'm not sure where you are getting that from. He knows "he's perfectly free to do exactly what he wants" and that everyone else is, too. His frustration, from what I can see, is that he came to the site as a fan, including of the reboot, and expected to find a like-minded cohort. Going to a site that is "For all things Magnum P.I." and seeing a part of that universe get bashed is a bummer.

It's been well-hashed that this site was not created with the reboot in mind, and there is a sharp dividing line between those who will watch the reboot and those who will not. Fine. In TV land, things change over time... we get reboots, movie remakes, spinoffs, fanfic in various media, and so on. They become part of the larger conversation about the original iteration of the show, and it makes sense that opinions will be divided as that universe grows. That said, I think Laohu is disappointed that a fan site is harboring so much ill will for this reboot. I don't want to convince anyone that they should or shouldn't like it (that would be a fool's errand), but I can see where he's coming from. Sure, the site's for all things Magnum, but it's not really for the reboot, is the message that's been communicated by numerous posters on these reboot threads.

Anyway, apologies for the long-winded post, but I think that you're missing the point of Laohu's comments. And Laohu, if I'm missing the point or putting words in your mouth, please correct me.

Laohu
Fleet Admiral

#55 Post by Laohu »

To be clear I never said or even implied that I could not watch or post about Magnum PI .
K Hale uses this as a argument technique she used the exact same words when Bondtoys was being ganged up on awhile back . it did not apply then and it does not apply now .

I am disappointed it is not friendlier around here . That’s why I reached out to Conch I did not understand where he was coming from and must admit I still can’t . I Was not trying to change his mind just to understand where he was coming from and maybe give him a little to think about as well . If he found no merit to it then at least I tried . To be honest he really is not going to change my mind and I am not going to change his . I was hoping we could find some common ground after all we are both here because we are fans of Magnum .

ConchRepublican
COZITV Magnum, P.I. SuperFan / Chief Barkeep - Flemingo Key

#56 Post by ConchRepublican »

Laohu wrote:I am disappointed it is not friendlier around here . That’s why I reached out to Conch I did not understand where he was coming from and must admit I still can’t . I Was not trying to change his mind just to understand where he was coming from and maybe give him a little to think about as well . If he found no merit to it then at least I tried . To be honest he really is not going to change my mind and I am not going to change his . I was hoping we could find some common ground after all we are both here because we are fans of Magnum .
I thought I gave a lengthy detailed response, and explained myself and my position pretty well regarding Magnum, P.I. vs. the reboot.

All in all, I think it's just fine in here. When it comes to internet forums there is still a high level of civility and respect between people who don't agree. There are differing levels of sensitivity, but hey, people are people.

Again, this is a site and forum created and based upon the Magnum, P.I. tv series starring Tom Selleck. The creator called it "Magnum-Mania" and forumites by and large are "Magnum Maniacs". To be surprised at those holding strong feelings about protecting the integrity of Magnum, P.I. when a reboot is airing using the names and likenesses of, but bearing no resemblance except superficially to, the characters and relationships we have a connection with, is not being realistic.
CoziTV Superfan spot
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPTmsykLQ04

Laohu
Fleet Admiral

#57 Post by Laohu »

Amian wrote:
K Hale wrote:

On the other hand, maybe Laohu is being watched closely by family and friends who really hate the reboot, and, in fact, is being prevented from writing or watching freely. Free Laohu!!

Lol reminds me of Farris Buller ... save Farris wait let me go check the water tower .

Laohu
Fleet Admiral

#58 Post by Laohu »

ConchRepublican wrote:
Laohu wrote:I am disappointed it is not friendlier around here . That’s why I reached out to Conch I did not understand where he was coming from and must admit I still can’t . I Was not trying to change his mind just to understand where he was coming from and maybe give him a little to think about as well . If he found no merit to it then at least I tried . To be honest he really is not going to change my mind and I am not going to change his . I was hoping we could find some common ground after all we are both here because we are fans of Magnum .
I thought I gave a lengthy detailed response, and explained myself and my position pretty well regarding Magnum, P.I. vs. the reboot.

All in all, I think it's just fine in here. When it comes to internet forums there is still a high level of civility and respect between people who don't agree. There are differing levels of sensitivity, but hey, people are people.

Again, this is a site and forum created and based upon the Magnum, P.I. tv series starring Tom Selleck. The creator called it "Magnum-Mania" and forumites by and large are "Magnum Maniacs". To be surprised at those holding strong feelings about protecting the integrity of Magnum, P.I. when a reboot is airing using the names and likenesses of, but bearing no resemblance except superficially to, the characters and relationships we have a connection with, is not being realistic.

Conch you did give me a reply and I appreciate the time you took . I also gave you a reply to that I tried to explain where I was coming from I really did not expect you to agree just wanted to open a friendly dialogue with maybe something you had not thought of . I tried to do it in a civil manner and tried to understand your view point . Maybe we are just to far apart on this and maybe there is no common ground I guess time will tell.

K Hale
Fleet Admiral

#59 Post by K Hale »

ConchRepublican wrote:

Sometimes I feel like people are new to the Internet.

This is the most polite forum I’ve ever been a part of. I’ve been online since 1991. Expectations in life are occasionally unreasonable.
I didn't realize you were so addicted to pool.
It's not pool.
Billiards.
Snooker!
Snucker.
SNOOKER!

T.Q.
Fleet Admiral

#60 Post by T.Q. »

ConchRepublican wrote:

Smoothing things out with soothing words.

Last edited by T.Q. on Thu Apr 25, 2019 1:56 am, edited 1 time in total.