Respect to Marta & Why a REBOOT, Why not a continuation?????

For discussions about the new CBS Magnum P.I. reboot

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

MagnumsLeftShoulder
Fleet Admiral

Re: Respect to Marta & Why a REBOOT, Why not a continuation?

#16 Post by MagnumsLeftShoulder »

Even Steve, he couldn't just be a police officer like the original McGarrett, he had to be involved in the intel/black ops community as a Navy SEAL.
Original McGarrett was ex-Navy, but the reboot of H50 has always been a hybrid reboot of MPI and the original H50. Lenkov has already borrowed so much from original MPI that he's got nothing left in the tank for a reboot of Magnum.
It's like that show is written by a 14 year old boy, it's all explosions, CIA agents and Navy SEALs, and all the women wear revealing skintight clothing that is totally impractical for running down perps.
Yes, lots of fans of it complain about the juvenile writing style and I do more than my fair share of griping about the wardrobe of both the women and men. In spite of it's silliness, I like H50; but I think it could have been so much better! With the cast and budget they've had, fewer shoot outs/action with more focus on story and it could have been awesome. One of my favorite shows is Elementary, but I gripe about incessant talking and the lack of action on it. Today's TV can't seem to find a happy medium between angst fueled drama or over the top action.

Steve
Fleet Admiral

#17 Post by Steve »

MagnumsLeftShoulder wrote:
Even Steve, he couldn't just be a police officer like the original McGarrett, he had to be involved in the intel/black ops community as a Navy SEAL.
Original McGarrett was ex-Navy, but the reboot of H50 has always been a hybrid reboot of MPI and the original H50. Lenkov has already borrowed so much from original MPI that he's got nothing left in the tank for a reboot of Magnum.
It's like that show is written by a 14 year old boy, it's all explosions, CIA agents and Navy SEALs, and all the women wear revealing skintight clothing that is totally impractical for running down perps.
Yes, lots of fans of it complain about the juvenile writing style and I do more than my fair share of griping about the wardrobe of both the women and men. In spite of it's silliness, I like H50; but I think it could have been so much better! With the cast and budget they've had, fewer shoot outs/action with more focus on story and it could have been awesome. One of my favorite shows is Elementary, but I gripe about incessant talking and the lack of action on it. Today's TV can't seem to find a happy medium between angst fueled drama or over the top action.
Notice that Lenkov borrowed from the pilot episode on the Magnum premier and then followed up with the Cocoon pilot episode of Hawaii five-0 last night....

KENJI
Fleet Admiral

#18 Post by KENJI »

Steve wrote:
MagnumsLeftShoulder wrote:
Notice that Lenkov borrowed from the pilot episode on the Magnum premier and then followed up with the Cocoon pilot episode of Hawaii five-0 last night....
Hi Steve,
I caught the HFO (reboot) Cocoon episode and was thinking Lenkov must be having a bad case of writer's block at the moment...maybe he has too much on his plate with all these reboots he's doing. Lenkov did give Leonard Freeman top billing for co-writing this episode and added himself in there for his fluff, but come on! I'm sure we will see more cut and paste going on in future episodes too. :roll:

Riverratsbu 26
Lieutenant Junior Grade

#19 Post by Riverratsbu 26 »

Not only was Jack Lord's Steve McGarrett Ex-Navy, he was Naval Intelligence(ONI).

Reef monkey
Fleet Admiral

#20 Post by Reef monkey »

Riverratsbu 26 wrote:Not only was Jack Lord's Steve McGarrett Ex-Navy, he was Naval Intelligence(ONI).
Right, I get that, practically everyone of that generation had served in the military, but the original McGarrett didn’t go from active duty Navy one day to being given the leadership of a civilian police force despite having no police training or experience the very next day. (Plus being ONI is an MOS that actually gives one some skills that relate to real investigative police work). And the original McGarrett didn’t wear his naval service on his sleeve, wasn’t galavanting around the world on special ops missions like the current McGarrett. Sure, it’s been entertaining, but it strains suspension of disbelief, and it’s run it’s course.
My essay "In Country: Place and Historical Connection in Magnum PI", about the importance of the Honolulu/Vietnam connection in the show:
http://magnum-mania.com/Forum/viewtopic ... 850#p57850