Season 1 Episode 1: I Saw the Sun Rise - Pilot (1.1)

For discussions about the new CBS Magnum P.I. reboot

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

How Would You Rate This Episode?

10 (Perfect!)
No votes
9.5 (One of the Best)
No votes
9.0 (Excellent)
No votes
8.5 (Very Good)
2%
8.0 (Pretty Good)
7%
7.5 (Decent)
7%
7.0 (Average at Best)
16%
6.5 (Not So Good)
9%
6.0 (Pretty Bad)
27%
5.0 (Just Awful)
16%
0.0 (Refuse to Watch)
18%

Total votes: 45

karolis
Admiral

Re: Season 1 Episode 1: I Saw the Sun Rise - Pilot (1.1)

#91 Post by karolis »

Rembrandt's Girl wrote:I have another question, too.... shouldn't he have a scar?

He has one on the shoulder:

Except that the would was not there:

MagnumILWU
Fleet Admiral

#92 Post by MagnumILWU »

K Hale wrote:
MagnumILWU wrote:
Hi MagnumILWU,
I just have to ask you, what does the ILWU mean in your monicker?
I Love Women's Underwear! Just kidding! Women used to laugh when we used that answer, not sure how they would take it today?
I think you would find that most of us are very accepting and don't care at all what kind of underwear you like wearing. It's really no one's business but yours.
Where did it say anything about me wearing underwear? Must be in your dreams!
"pickled egg please"

karolis
Admiral

#93 Post by karolis »

Mad Kudu Buck wrote:
MagnumILWU wrote:Anybody with a brain! Is that why you don't get it?
MagnumILWU wrote:You really are a nut! All you you are doing is whining because they made a new show! They ruined my Magnum! Go have a good cry, you big baby!
You obviously never heard of general forum rules about no personal attacks. Attack the idea, not the person.

I think jeffran's and MaximRecoil's comments make perfect sense. I totally agree with them.
I understand both of the sides. One side (majority) bashes the show, another one tries to defend it and gets personal.
I really do not understand the hate to the new show by the original show fans. I see many flaws in the new one, but i want it to succeed. I LOVE the original. I know that the reboot will NEVER be better than the original. I still want it to succeed.
Comparison is understandable. But why all the hate? Even if reboot will fail, won't capture the original's mood - nobody will take the original from you!

Speaking about the pilot episode - i think that they tried too hard and too fast. When they were filming the pilot - they were not sure if this will be picked up so they packed it with easter eggs and action and didn't spend time more on the story and characters. I hope and i think that the stories and characters will improve from the second episode. It must. There were more time to write the stories and they won't have as much money for action that they had for the pilot. Better plot is cheaper than big action.

f14peter
Lieutenant

#94 Post by f14peter »

Rembrandt's Girl wrote:Some random notes...

Odd that they used the same actor for both the defector from Robin's book and Kim the food vendor.
because it was the same character ... Seemed clear to me that the team did conduct an actual mission into NK at some point in the past, transpiring no doubt much less spectacularly than the novel/on-screen depiction. With Magnum saying "I halo-jumped into North Korea" and TC's responses of "yeah, but there were no planets involved" and "I know how it ended, I was there", along with Nuzo's comment about being there as a sniper.

I also suspect the real mission was indeed to pull the NK scientist out, and after giving up the secrets he knew, the US Government granted him his lifelong dream of running a Korean pork stand near the Duke Kahanamoku statue. Magnum did refer to him as a "code breaker" and he's wearing the exact same pair of eyeglasses ... and haircut and length of hair ... and style of mustache/beard ...

Rembrandt's Girl
Fleet Admiral

#95 Post by Rembrandt's Girl »

f14peter wrote:
Rembrandt's Girl wrote:Some random notes...

Odd that they used the same actor for both the defector from Robin's book and Kim the food vendor.
I also suspect the real mission was indeed to pull the NK scientist out, and after giving up the secrets he knew, the US Government granted him his lifelong dream of running a Korean pork stand near the Duke Kahanamoku statue.
Thanks f14peter... I completely missed that the mission actually happened, and thought it was merely from Robin's book. I'll have to watch it again. I love your assumptions! :lol:

MagnumILWU
Fleet Admiral

#96 Post by MagnumILWU »

Mad Kudu Buck wrote:
MagnumILWU wrote:Anybody with a brain! Is that why you don't get it?
MagnumILWU wrote:You really are a nut! All you you are doing is whining because they made a new show! They ruined my Magnum! Go have a good cry, you big baby!
You obviously never heard of general forum rules about no personal attacks. Attack the idea, not the person.

I think jeffran's and MaximRecoil's comments make perfect sense. I totally agree with them.

DELETED - Conch
"pickled egg please"

Luther's nephew Dobie
Fleet Admiral

#97 Post by Luther's nephew Dobie »

MagnumILWU wrote:Hi MagnumILWU,
I just have to ask you, what does the ILWU mean in your monicker? Every time I see it I try to guess what it means.
Just an observation but some updates of original series have been pretty good, only one perhaps that was just as good as the original series,
that being Maverick in my humble opinion.
The Mel Gibson movie version of Maverick was excellent, though as a old Maverick fan I spotted the plot twist of James Garner's sheriff
character(being Maverick senior) coming from a mile away. And James Garner's updated color version, the one season Bret Maverick, was quite
good but TV Westerns were passe by then.
The Rockford Files, Perry Mason, Gunsmoke and Wild Wild West TV movies were decent.
However, the half hour pilot Dobie Gillis remake and the TV film "Bring Me The Head of Dobie Gillis" are considered disasters, though me and
my uncle Luther Gillis quite like them.
In fact Luther, his partner Chuckie, aunt Blanche and Artie Canoe are coming over later with a case of Old Dusseldorf, we
will pop the DVD of "Bring Me The Head of Dobie Gillis" into the player and make a night of it.
Dobie
"That's Dobie with a 'B', not a 'P' "...Dwayne Hickman
MagnumILWU wrote: I Love Women's Underwear! Just kidding! Women used to laugh when we used that answer, not sure how they would take it today? International Longshoremen's and Warehousemen's Union. Longshoremen working the west coast(on the east coast, it's the ILA) and in Hawaii, as seen in a couple of Magnum, P.I. episodes! They recently did a Psych TV movie, with most or all of the original characters, but it couldn't caoture what the TV show was. In the 90's they did four Spenser: For Hire TV movies. First two were good, film in Boston and Mass! Second two they got cheap, and film in Canada! But Avery Brooks was Hawk in all of them, so that helped a lot! Harry Carey Jr, Pa Traven in The Shadow Riders, nickname was Dobie, for the color of his hair![/quote]

Hi Guys,
Magnum ILWU, you must be a big John Ford fan to appreciate the great Harry Carey junior. He co-starred with Oscar winner Ben Johnson in Ford's fave flick, Wagon Master. Both of them got hired as part of Ford's legendary stock company because they both sang really well and could provide entertainment on location, besides Johnson being a big rodeo star and Carey the son of silent screen star Harry Carey senior. Ben Johnson was also in Shadow Riders, which was directed by Victor McLaglen jr. whose Dad played the Irish Sgt. in all those Ford Westerns. He was also military governor of Baghdad, Iraq in WW 1!
When I watch the most excellent Shadow Riders, it has so many elements of a John Wayne film
plus with Selleck more than filling Wayne's shoes, as it were, in the lead, that I think it is a crying shame Selleck didn't do a lot more Westerns.
If it was the 1950's when the Oaters were big I believe Tom Selleck could have been a huge movie star.
Sorry guys, I went off the reservation here, this post has nothing to do with the new Magnum but I am a huge John Ford cuckoo.
One last trivia bit, Wayne guest starred on a John Ford directed episode of Wagon Train, on screen maybe 20 seconds as General Sherman, in a scene so
darkly lit you could not see his face, just hear his voice. In the credits he is billed under his real name, Marion Michael Morrison.
Hey, it just occurred to me, I though Larry Manetti was supposed to be Ice Pick in the new Magnum? Is that still on?

Mad Kudu Buck
Fleet Admiral

#98 Post by Mad Kudu Buck »

MagnumILWU wrote: DELETED - Conch
DELETED - Conch

MaximRecoil
Fleet Admiral

#99 Post by MaximRecoil »

MagnumILWU wrote: DELETED - Conch
DELETED - Conch

KENJI
Fleet Admiral

#100 Post by KENJI »

Original or reboot I think we need to return to a more Magnum like setting.....we are going to agree to disagree on the reboot and that's to be expected, but lets keep it out of the gutter guys. This forum is one of the best out there and doesn't need to be spoiled with personal attacks etc.. I suggest we clean it up going forward and leave the past in the past. :)

ConchRepublican
COZITV Magnum, P.I. SuperFan / Chief Barkeep - Flemingo Key

#101 Post by ConchRepublican »

Mad Kudu Buck wrote:
MagnumILWU wrote:

OK - both of you, to your rooms for a timeout. This is NOT how we speak to and treat each other here.

I am going to go back and see if this thread needs editing.

Please do NOT continue down this path again.
CoziTV Superfan spot
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPTmsykLQ04

eagle
Fleet Admiral

#102 Post by eagle »

ConchRepublican wrote:OK - both of you, to your rooms fot a timeout. This is NOT how we speak to and treat each other here.

I am going to go back and see if this thread needs editing.

Please do NOT continue down this path again.
Thank you. This was truly getting out of hand.

Reef monkey
Fleet Admiral

#103 Post by Reef monkey »

I would like to ask - respectfully, out of curiosity, not trying to challenge - Magnum ILWU a question:

This week you said:
MagnumILWU wrote:It was not bad! If all you are going to do is compare to the 80's series, than there is no need to watch it, or nitpick every little thing! This is a new show, not the old one, most everything is going to be different! There is only one Magnum, but that doesn't mean this show has to be bad! It did make me think of the old show, which made me smile, with all the happy memories of that show! If you can just sit back, and watch the show, just for the fun of it, knowing the original as well as you do, might even make you enjoy this new version a little more! I'm going to watch it again at 9 pm my time, and see if I can notice any other little things, that bring back warm memories of Magnum, P.I.!
However, back in 2012, you said:
MagnumILWU wrote:I, for one, do not like the idea of a new Magnum, PI TV show or movie! I watched the show from the beginning. And re-runs hundreds of times! I have a couple of VHS tapes from original broadcasts on CBS! The show cannot be copied or replaced! I believe anything would be a disappointment, and not stand-up to the original! Tom Selleck is Thomas Magnum, John Hillerman is Jonathan Quayle Higgins III, Larry Manetti is Rick Wright, and Roger E Mosley is TC! They cannot be replaced! Poor Agatha and Mac are gone! Lt Tanaka, Ice Pick, Carol Baldwin, this is my Magnum,PI, and there is no way to improve it, or do it again! It was/is a once in a lifetime experience, that I will always treasure!
So what do you think made the difference for you? Had your feelings already changed slowly over the past 6 years, or was it knowing that the show was actually going to be a reality that changed your mind, or did you have to see the first show to have a change of heart?
My essay "In Country: Place and Historical Connection in Magnum PI", about the importance of the Honolulu/Vietnam connection in the show:
http://magnum-mania.com/Forum/viewtopic ... 850#p57850

Fr. Paddy McGuinness
Admiral

#104 Post by Fr. Paddy McGuinness »

I don’t really watch a lot of current television. Blue Bloods and the occasional Lenkov 5-0 is about it. The pacing was exhausting in this episode. Nothing ever developed in the silence. It seems the dialogue just took you to the next plot point or action sequence. Everything was over the top. The Estate, the cars, the shooting; even Magnum getting beat up was extreme. The bad guys were straight out of 5-0. They were kind of interchangeable faceless violent men who strayed from the right side of the law. Then they get killed off with the snap of a finger and the story is wrapped up. Hell Magnum even commandeered a satellite like they do in 5-0. That has to be the world heavyweight champion of lazy plot advancement. Hernandez has been discussed enough. I can’t see him digging this show out of the ditch. It would have been a good time to cast a Polynesian/Hawaiian actor in the part (think Jason Momoa type). I don’t see Tidewater being a plot arc in this show. I can’t believe this got green lighted as is.
Faith and Begorrah!

Reef monkey
Fleet Admiral

#105 Post by Reef monkey »

That's funny, Paddy, I'm the same way about current TV, and I watch the same two shows (though both feel like they've run their course to me and I doubt I'll watch them this season). Also agree about the pacing, everything being over the top, and I thought Magnum being beaten up but left alive when they were willing to kill everyone else was a major plot hole. And I feel like this show, in pacing, setting, even characterizations, is just too close to the new 5-0, not differentiated enough to have any purpose.
My essay "In Country: Place and Historical Connection in Magnum PI", about the importance of the Honolulu/Vietnam connection in the show:
http://magnum-mania.com/Forum/viewtopic ... 850#p57850