Surprised

For discussions about the new CBS Magnum P.I. reboot

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

Amian
Admiral

Re: Surprised

#31 Post by Amian »

My mother-in-law said the same thing about the Jack Reacher movies (though she really likes Tom Cruise, so gave it a pass). With adaptations and reboots, which are really just a kind of adaptation, the expectations held by fans of the original versions will always get in the way, and I get it. "The book is better," and all that. I feel the same way about the Magnum reboot, but I also don't find it sacrilegious. It doesn't impact my enjoyment of the original series, and we may find that people who weren't around in the 80s get turned onto the original. That's good, right? If they don't learn about it, their loss, in my opinion.

I admit, Jay Hernandez with the munchkins is funny (but I still feel like the guy is getting his chops busted pretty good... suppose it comes with the territory). I also like the comment about Tom Selleck's large frame making for a good contrast with Magnum's immaturity, or for making good comedy when around Higgins. Hernandez might not have the same physical acting skills... we'll see!

marlboro
Baron Of GIFs

#32 Post by marlboro »

How is it possible that someone can think that all of the tiny details of the original (team rings, the lads, Icepick etc) are worth bringing back, while simultaneously thinking that Higgins needs to be a young woman?

I just have a hard time reconciling "I'm a huge fan of the show!" and "Let's rewrite Higgins into a very different character!"

T.Q.
Fleet Admiral

#33 Post by T.Q. »

marlboro wrote:How is it possible that someone can think that all of the tiny details of the original (team rings, the lads, Icepick etc) are worth bringing back, while simultaneously thinking that Higgins needs to be a young woman?
Such a great point.

All the intricate little details to try to show you’re really honouring Magnum P.I.

Then the big things about the major character totally ignored. Not even ignored... purposefully discarded for polar opposites.
Knocking my rubber chicken or my sloppy habits is within the rules, but you're attacking my character. I would like to think you don't mean that.

☨magnum.t
Admiral

#34 Post by ☨magnum.t »

Amian wrote:I've been surprised that so many people are bothered about Jay Hernandez's height. In some cases the complaints come off as good-natured ribbing, but sometimes they seems petty. He's not as tall as Tom Selleck, but does it matter? Do you really want the reboot to try to mimic the original down to every detail? If the new show tries to copy everything, it won't match up. If it makes some tweaks (like a female Higgins and a Latino Magnum) while trying to go for the mix of humor, action and profound character relationships, then maybe it can become its own show. If you want the exact details of the original, just pop in a DVD or queue it up.

As for having a Latino Magnum, I think someone posted a while back that this casting reflects the changing demographics of the military. He didn't have to be Latino, but there's no good reason he shouldn't be.
TM's stature was a HUGGEEEE part of the show. The fact that another beloved character only called him "the big guy". It was such a great contrast to his immaturity and childishness. When T.C. and TM played Basketball he was Dunking!!! He was a quarterback and played baseball, he was rough and tough when he had to be and could throw hands with the best of them because he was a very physical type character. Its not just about his size it's the way he carried himself. Besides that's why UFC has weight classes, welterweights don't step up to heavyweights for a reason. If I was in need of a Private Eye (Investigator) and I saw 1980s Tom Selleck standing next to Modern day Jay Hernandez I would go with Selleck every time because he looks more capable, he looks like he can physically take care of himself if SHTF.
That reminds me of the time....

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#35 Post by J.J. Walters »

Hey now, Bruce Lee was 5' 7", Manny Pacquiao 5' 5''! Short guys can kick ass, too! :) But your point is well taken. It is weird having a short guy play Magnum.
Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!

☨magnum.t
Admiral

#36 Post by ☨magnum.t »

J.J. Walters wrote:Hey now, Bruce Lee was 5' 7", Manny Pacquiao 5' 5''! Short guys can kick ass, too! :) But your point is well taken. It is weird having a short guy play Magnum.
haha both valid points and yes they can definitely kick ass I mean Connor McGregor is 5'9" 154 and I wouldn't want to mess with that ( I'm 5'11 190) BUTTT he ain't competing with Stipe Miocic even on his best day lol. I just think Selleck gives off that "you're safe with me" vibe and Hernandez does not.

Amian
Admiral

#37 Post by Amian »

The "safe with me" vibe is there (he's a SEAL!), but he sometimes loses the upper hand, and his vulnerabilities are as important as his strengths. I haven't actually seen Jay Hernandez in anything, so I can't say what sort of Magnum he'll be, but I actually don't want him to to be too close to Selleck's Magnum.

☨magnum.t
Admiral

#38 Post by ☨magnum.t »

Amian wrote:The "safe with me" vibe is there (he's a SEAL!), but he sometimes loses the upper hand, and his vulnerabilities are as important as his strengths. I haven't actually seen Jay Hernandez in anything, so I can't say what sort of Magnum he'll be, but I actually don't want him to to be too close to Selleck's Magnum.
I think that is kind of what we've been saying though is that Magnum never went around saying "I'm a SEAL" or even anything remotely close to that. He never advertised it and very few episodes even referenced it. It was such a minor part of the show. Now the veteran aspect and camaraderie between war buddies was a huge part but Magnum wasn't going on night raids and shooting machine guns every episode. I and many others on here I presume,would just hate to see a Magnum reboot that is essentially another (new) Hawaii 5 O with senseless action horrible plots and flashy things to try to catch your attention. So to bring it back in Tom Sellecks stature was enough, he didn't have to advertise that he was a badass Navy SEAL nor did he want too. Magnum wanted to distance himself from his service and prove he could make it his own way with his own rules.

Amian
Admiral

#39 Post by Amian »

Good point, Magnum never advertised his badassery. Maybe the Hernandez Magnum will also be unassuming in that way.

Disclaimer: I don't watch Hawaii 5-0, but it keeps coming up in forum comments... is it really that bad? If it is, I sure hope the Magnum reboot is treated better.

Core 4
Vice Admiral

#40 Post by Core 4 »

Amian wrote:Disclaimer: I don't watch Hawaii 5-0, but it keeps coming up in forum comments... is it really that bad? If it is, I sure hope the Magnum reboot is treated better.
No, this is great show. My favourite show. Because of this show I'm excited the Magnum P.I. reboot.

KENJI
Fleet Admiral

#41 Post by KENJI »

Core 4 wrote:
Amian wrote:Disclaimer: I don't watch Hawaii 5-0, but it keeps coming up in forum comments... is it really that bad? If it is, I sure hope the Magnum reboot is treated better.
No, this is great show. My favourite show. Because of this show I'm excited the Magnum P.I. reboot.
Everyone is entitled to their opinion.....I give it a bad to okay rating at best.....great, no way! The storylines are so weak and fluffy at times you just shake your head and roll your eyes! :roll: The odd time they are decent and you think okay, they are getting it together, but the next episode just stinks. Yes, it has been going on for 8 seasons so it has its followers and some luck too because it shouldn't have lasted that long. Yes, I tune in to watch a bit of Hawaii in the background and then I usually fast forward through the show especially when Steve and Danno start bickering like an old couple....just awful (IMO).
I suggest you watch a few and decide for yourself Amian. I'm thinking the MPI reboot might have some of this weak writing too, so don't hold your breath....time will tell.

Sam
Fleet Admiral

#42 Post by Sam »

KENJI wrote:
Core 4 wrote:
Amian wrote:Disclaimer: I don't watch Hawaii 5-0, but it keeps coming up in forum comments... is it really that

Everyone is entitled to their opinion.....I give it a bad to okay rating at best.....great, no way! The storylines are so weak and fluffy at times you just shake your head and roll your eyes! :roll: The odd time they are decent and you think okay, they are getting it together, but the next episode just stinks. Yes, it has been going on for 8 seasons so it has its followers and some luck too because it shouldn't have lasted that long. Yes, I tune in to watch a bit of Hawaii in the background and then I usually fast forward through the show especially when Steve and Danno start bickering like an old couple....just awful (IMO).
I suggest you watch a few and decide for yourself Amian. I'm thinking the MPI reboot might have some of this weak writing too, so don't hold your breath....time will tell.
Hi Kenji..

They call them carguments...
Since they made Higgins female I'm thinking a better reboot would have been Moonlighting... Moonlighting Hawaiian style.

youtu.be/lX-J5ivQRvU

KENJI
Fleet Admiral

#43 Post by KENJI »

Hi Sam,

Carguments....too funny! :lol: Thanks for the clip too, but I had to fast forward through it...OMG! :lol: :lol:
I like your thought with Moonlighting Hawaiian style.......it will be interesting how this all plays out!

MagnumsLeftShoulder
Fleet Admiral

#44 Post by MagnumsLeftShoulder »

Disclaimer: I don't watch Hawaii 5-0, but it keeps coming up in forum comments... is it really that bad? If it is, I sure hope the Magnum reboot is treated better.
I think it depends on how you feel about the original. If you liked it, you won't like the reboot. If you didn't like it or are ambivalent about it, you might enjoy the reboot. I suspect the same will hold true for a Magnum reboot.

KingKC
Fleet Admiral

#45 Post by KingKC »

Amian wrote:Good point, Magnum never advertised his badassery. Maybe the Hernandez Magnum will also be unassuming in that way.

I don't think reboots are ever intended to appeal primarily to the original audience. I think they are intended to appeal to the newer and younger audiences. The original audience is just a little icing on the cake. I do not like the new Hawaii 5-0 or the new MacGyver but I loved the originals.