Episode ratings.

Comments, questions, suggestions, criticism... anything at all about the website. This is also the place for member introductions

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

grundle
Admiral

Episode ratings.

#1 Post by grundle »

Where do the episode rartngs come from?

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#2 Post by J.J. Walters »

From me. ;)

Actually, I would love to get some sort of 'Magnum Community Average' for episode ratings, which would be used in the Top 40 Episodes list. If I could get ~ twenty or so complete lists, I'd do it.

So, here's the official RFERL (request for episode rating list):

Rate all 162 syndicated episodes, using the 0.0-10.0 scale (.5 increments only - 6.5, 7.0, 7.5, etc.).

Send the list to jjwalters@magnum-mania.com

Thanks

:)
Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!

grundle
Admiral

#3 Post by grundle »

Thanks for answering.

I would never ask you to alter your own list of ratings.

If you want to do something that takes other people's ratings into account, maybe each user could have their own list of ratings, and then there could be a list that had the average ratings of all the users.

You rated "The Woman On The Beach" 8.5 but it's not on your top 40 page.

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#4 Post by J.J. Walters »

grundle, I was editing my initial reply, while you were replying. Weird. ;)

But yeah, like I said, I would love to get as many 'fan episode rating lists' as possible. I would definitely put the average up on the page.

Waltstasz
Admiral

#5 Post by Waltstasz »

Just a thought, how difficult would it be to let users rate each episode automatically on the site? Like click a row of stars or something?
My darling, you look ravishing... A-heh, heh heh... A little champagne?

grundle
Admiral

#6 Post by grundle »

Waltstasz wrote:Just a thought, how difficult would it be to let users rate each episode automatically on the site? Like click a row of stars or something?

I like the idea of letting any user rate any episode at any time.

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#7 Post by J.J. Walters »

I could do that (with some work), but I'm real hesitant. Without some sort of authentication, and a low sample set, the ratings could (and would) become quickly skewed as soon as a couple of pranksters come along and pound away on the zero key.

I would much prefer to have reputable sources rate the episodes. Of course, "reputable sources" would mean "fans of the show", which kind of skews the ratings in the other direction (although you *can* be a fan and rate with fairness and an open mind, as well).

Again, if anyone wants to rate the episodes, please feel free. And I change my mind, if I can get, like, five complete lists to start, I will average out the episodes ratings, and update the episode pages accordingly. The more people that do it, the better!

Just copy-n-paste the list below into notepad (or any text editor) and bang out the rating for each episode (again, 0-10.0 scale -- .5 increments only). Send it to me as a .txt file, or copy-n-paste the results into the body of the email: jjwalters@magnum-mania.com

Thanks

Code: Select all

Don't Eat the Snow in Hawaii (1)
Don't Eat the Snow in Hawaii (2)
China Doll
Thank Heaven for Little Girls and Big Ones Too
No Need to Know
Skin Deep
Never Again ... Never Again
The Ugliest Dog in Hawaii
Missing in Action
Lest We Forget
The Curse of the King Kamehameha Club
Thicker Than Blood
All Roads Lead to Floyd
Adelaide
Don't Say Goodbye
The Black Orchid
J. "Digger" Doyle
Beauty Knows No Pain

Billy Joe Bob
Dead Man's Channel
The Woman on the Beach
From Moscow to Maui
Memories Are Forever (1)
Memories Are Forever (2)
Tropical Madness
Wave Goodbye
Mad Buck Gibson
The Taking of Dick McWilliams
The Sixth Position
Ghost Writer
The Jororo Kill
Computer Date
Try to Remember
Italian Ice
One More Summer
Texas Lightning
Double Jeopardy
The Last Page
The Elmo Ziller Story
Three Minus Two

Did You See the Sun Rise? (1)
Did You See the Sun Rise? (2)
Ki'i's Don't Lie
The Eighth Part of the Village
Past Tense
Black on White
Flashback
Foiled Again
Mr. White Death
Mixed Doubles
Almost Home
Heal Thyself
Of Sound Mind
The Arrow That Is Not Aimed
Basket Case
Birdman of Budapest
I Do?
Forty Year from Sand Island
Legacy from a Friend
Two Birds of a Feather
By Its Cover
The Big Blow
Faith and Begorrah

Home from the Sea
Luther Gillis
Smaller than Life
Distant Relative
Limited Engagement
Letter to a Dutchess
Squeeze Play
A Sense of Debt
The Look
Operation: Silent Night
Jororo Farewell
The Case of the Red Faced Thespian
No More Mr. Nice Guy
Rembrandt's Girl
Paradise Blues
The Return of Luther Gillis
Let the Punishment Fit the Crime
Holmes Is Where the Heart Is
On Face Value
Dream a Little Dream
I Witness

Echoes of the Mind (1)
Echoes of the Mind (2)
Mac's Back
The Legacy of Garwood Huddle
Under World
Fragments
Blind Justice
Murder 101
Tran Quoc Jones
Luther Gillis: File #001
Kiss the Sabre
Little Games
Professor Jonathan Higgins
Compulsion
All for One (1)
All for One (2)
The-Love-For-Sale-Boat
Let Me Hear the Music
Miss Jones
The Man from Marseilles
Torah, Torah, Torah
A Pretty Good Dancing Chicken

Déjà Vu (1)
Déjà Vu (2)
Old Acquaintance
The Kona Winds
The Hotel Dick
Round and Around
Going Home
Paniolo
The Treasure of Kalaniopu'u
Blood and Honor
Rapture
I Never Wanted to Go to France, Anyway
Summer School
Mad Dogs and Englishmen
All Thieves on Deck
This Island Isn't Big Enough
Way of the Stalking Horse
Find Me a Rainbow
Who Is Don Luis Higgins ...?
A Little Bit of Luck, A Little Bit of Grief
Photo Play

L.A. (1)
L.A. (2)
One Picture Is Worth
Straight and Narrow
A.A.P.I.
Death and Taxes
Little Girl Who
Paper War
Novel Connection
Kapu
Missing Melody
Death of the Flowers
Autumn Warrior
Murder by Night
On the Fly
Solo Flight
Forty
Laura
Out of Sync
The Aunt Who Came to Dinner
The People vs. Orville Wright
Limbo

Infinity and Jelly Doughnuts
Pleasure Principle
Innocence, A Broad
Tigers Fan
Forever in Time
The Love that Lies
A Girl Named Sue
Unfinished Business
The Great Hawaiian Adventure Company
The Legend of the Lost Art
Transitions
Resolutions (1)
Resolutions (2)

Shermy
Resident Clutterbuck

#8 Post by Shermy »

What about creating a sub-board for each season? You could then have a thread for each episode, with a 1-10 poll on the first page. This would not only allow members to vote, but provide their own review as well.

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#9 Post by J.J. Walters »

Doh! I didn't think of that Sherm! The thought never even occurred to me. That's a really good idea. I think I'll do it.

Thanks!

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#10 Post by J.J. Walters »

Ugh, this will take me a while to set up. A thread for each episode (162), and for each episode you have to manually set up the poll (with 20 options). :shock: There's no way to replicate, or copy the setup. It's one long, arduous process for all 162 threads!

Hmmmm......

Shermy
Resident Clutterbuck

#11 Post by Shermy »

Yes, you'll note that I neglected to mention it would probably be a pain in the @ss to do. :lol:

But I would suggest just creating the eight sub-boards, then adding the episodes slowly. Since the board is relatively new, there's really no urgent need for all episodes to be up ASAP. Once the season boards exist, members could add the episode threads as they see fit. This would not only get the shows up faster, but allow people to contribute their favorites as well.

The nice thing about this approach is that certain threads may lie dormant for months...then one day, someone wants to talk about Wave Goodbye, and it's suddenly back at the top and on everyone's radar.

Shermy
Resident Clutterbuck

#12 Post by Shermy »

Here's a sample thread I made in the Show forum, just to illustrate how minimal this could be. I copied the plot synopsis from the dvd, and merely added the original air date (via tv.com). The real content would be added by visitors commenting on the episode.

(I also included the notable guest stars, although that part would probably be more trouble than it's worth for most of the episodes.)

http://magnum-mania.com/Forum/viewtopic.php?p=260#260

Waltstasz
Admiral

#13 Post by Waltstasz »

I have a suggestion or two :)

First, if there are going to be individual threads/ratings/polls for each episode then I think that they should have their own category like Shermy mentioned. Right now we have 'Shows', 'Movie' and 'Website'. I'd suggest that we also have 'Episode Ratings' or something with the seasons as categories under that. That way the shows section won't get bogged down with a hundred or so threads that may or may not get responded to and would probably interfer a bit with the flow of conversation.

Also, though I like the idea of everybody being able to give feedback for episode ratings, I'm not sure that this is a great idea for the board (at least for now). There are only 30 members at this point and there are only about 10 of us who post regularly. Maybe some more folks would join and/or post if they could rate episodes but maybe not. Again, I'm not opposed to the idea; it just seems like it would be a lot of work and (potentially) little to gain. Especially if we are going to be asking James to make our ratings the 'official' ratings for the site.

Just my .02; no offense intended. :)
My darling, you look ravishing... A-heh, heh heh... A little champagne?

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#14 Post by J.J. Walters »

Shermy wrote:Yes, you'll note that I neglected to mention it would probably be a pain in the @ss to do. :lol:
HaHaaa!

Good points all around guys. As much of a pain as it is to set up, I think I will good ahead and do it. It's a one time deal to set up, and once it is in place, it will compliment the site (and the other forum categories) nicely. People can rate, review and talk about any episode, and we will (hopefully) slowly build up a nice 'community rating' of most of the episodes. Time, or speed, is not an issue as I hope to have this place up a long time.

I'll set up the categories now, but give me a week, or so, to set up all the episode threads.

Viva Magnum!

8)

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#15 Post by J.J. Walters »

Ok, the forum has been restructured and the episode season categories are up. Now I'm going to start adding the episode threads, soon.

One item of note - The BB software only allows a max. of ten poll options, so I can't do a 0-10 rating scale (with .5 increments all the way). This is actually a good thing, because there is really no need for anything below 5, anyway. Like school grades, anything below 6 is failing -- the bottom of the barrel. So with this ten poll option limitation, we have the following rating scale:

5= One of the Worst, 6= Pretty Bad, 6.5= Not So Good, 7= Average at Best, 7.5= Decent, 8.0= Pretty Good, 8.5= Very Good, 9.0= Excellent, 9.5= One of the Best, 10= Perfect!

Which I think works out pretty good. What do you guys think? I have created the first post in Season 1 as a test. If you think anything needs tweaking, let me know as soon as possible, before I start pounding out the threads.

Thanks!
Last edited by J.J. Walters on Mon Mar 05, 2007 5:08 am, edited 1 time in total.