'Magnum Gear' Section?

Comments, questions, suggestions, criticism... anything at all about the website. This is also the place for member introductions

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

Danno
Fleet Admiral

'Magnum Gear' Section?

#1 Post by Danno »

Aloha James,

I was wondering if it would make sense to have a 'Magnum Gear' section for people searching for where one can get caps, shirts or the like that the guys on the show wore? It may help expand the general section now...?
Help protect Hawaiʻi's Green Sea Turtles http://malamanahonu.org

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#2 Post by J.J. Walters »

Hi Dan! Good to have you back our Aussie friend!

You know, that's a great idea. A "Magnum's Stuff" page would fit in nicely. Let's use this thread to compile all of the data. I'll start....

Jungle Bird shirt
Magnum T-Shirts
The Team Ring
Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!

Danno
Fleet Admiral

#3 Post by Danno »

Good to be back! 8)

Trying to find exact matches is really hard on most of the items as I assume a lot of Magnum's gear is no longer made. Maybe MBJR9 and N1095A can help out here too as it looks like they've both got a lot of impressive and accurate stuff. I'll add to the list below- a lot of the information came from this forum- however it wasn't in one place. Some of the stuff I don't know about yet so any help would be greatly appreciated!

Caps
The main caps Magnum wore are as follows...

Detroit Tigers Cap
We all know Magnum wore a fitted Detroit Tigers cap. You can get a 59FIFTY by New Era just about anywhere. Modern Detroit caps differ from Magnum's 80s cap in a few nerdy details. They have the MBL logo on the back, a puffy looking Tiger's 'D' and a black or grey underside to the visor rather than the 80s green. If you're a sucker for detail, then here is where you can find a faithful replica of an 1980s era style Tigers cap.

VMO2 Da Nang Cap
Magnum's Marine Observation Squadron 2 cap. This, like the Detroit cap was a fitted navy blue ball cap with green underside to the visor. They have a replica available at US Wings. However, the VMO2 Da Nang Patch is easily available. The cheapest place to find them is usually eBay where you can pick one up for about $1. It's probably cheaper to find a plain navy ball cap, buy a patch and make it yourself.

TC also wore this cap, however he had a Vietnam Veteran's pin on his.

Al's Automotive Cap
A red and white trucker cap- they can be found just about anywhere.
A replica of the patch is currently being produced by N1095A

Camo SEAL Cap
This cap is hard to find so far... but you can make an approximation of it.
You can buy the subdued Navy SEAL patch here and get a camo mesh cap here.

A full list of Magnum's caps by burroughsmvp is here.

Shirts
Magnum famously wore a variety of Hawaiian shirts- the most iconic being the Jungle Bird pattern. James's link above to Maui shirts is the best place to get these.
Another pattern that was popular with the moustached private investigator was the Star Orchid. You can get one here.
Heavy khaki and olive field shirts were also commonly seen. Similar items are available here. Field shirts are pretty easy to find- Magnum's had scalloped pocket flaps and cross stitching on the ends of the epaulettes.
He also wore Ralph Lauren and Lacoste polo shirts. You can make your own on Ralph Lauren's website.
Rugby Jerseys Magnum often wore a long sleeved navy rubgy jersey with a white collar...
Dark Blue King Kamehameha tank - these were on eBay some time ago. It looks like the only way to get one is to make one?
US Navy Academy T-shirt. Magnum's grey Navy T-shirt is pretty hard to find so far...?

Sunglasses
Magnum generally wore sunglasses in the aviator style.
Close matches to models worn throughout the series currently available are the Ray Ban Shooter and the Ray Ban Outdoorsman. It appears that the model worn in the series is the Ray-Ban Sharpshooter which has lenses closer together. It doesn't appear that these are available anymore.

Later episodes saw a thicker, plastic framed Carrera-sport style aviator worn. You'd have to go vintage to find similar glasses. A good place is here.
A cheaper alternative, rather than a pair of vintage big brand sunglasses is Le Specs who make a respectible retro-80s style pair similar to Magnums.

Magnum also wore tinted, small round sunglasses- notably while paddling his surf-ski... I'm not sure what these were just yet... anyone?

Watches
Magnum's original watch was the Chronosport 300m Dive Watch. This watch is vintage and can be found online now and then.
Following the Chronosport he always wore a Rolex GMT Master 16750 with the 'Pepsi' bezel. It's pretty expensive for a vintage Rolex or the current GMT Master II (without the 'Pepsi' bezel) and less expensive alternative options are available online.

Shoes
Sneakers - Puma Easy Riders- the shoe has changed slightly since the 1980s, however the current model is still available. It looks like his are white with blue swooshes.
Boat Shoes - Hard to tell so far... Sperry Top Siders have a close shoe.

Other Magnum Gear
MIA bracelet - MIA bracelets are available here.
Wallet - A stunning replica of Magnum's wallet is available from sctcarts a member of this forum.
Belt and Buckle- Magnum generally wore an officer's cotton web belt with a gold belt buckle which was decorated with the US Navy Surface Warfare insignia. The web belt is inexpensive and relatively easy to find. The buckle is available here.
It's worth noting that Magnum's buckle had 'MAGNUM' in capitals beneath the logo.
Jeans - Generally, Magnum wore Levi's. Not sure of the cut...
Shorts - Generally Magnum wore tan shorts. A pretty common item to find. The shorts he wore while on the surf-ski are most likely SEAL UDT shorts which can be found here.
Lock Pick Set - Pro Lok have these in leather cases, just like Magnum's...
TC's Awesome Rainbow Suspenders Pretty funny...relatively easy to find if you really want them.

That should be a pretty good start to gettin' some Magnum-style... :-)
Please add to this, guys... it'd be good to get things more complete or more accurate...
Last edited by Danno on Tue Jan 22, 2008 11:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

Tralfaz
Admiral

#4 Post by Tralfaz »

Dan wrote:If you're a sucker for detail, then here is where you can find a faithful replica of an 1980s era style Tigers cap.
Cool, as well as the 30's era from 'Flashback'
"..outasight!.." - Tyler Peabody McKinney

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#5 Post by J.J. Walters »

Wow Dan, you pretty much covered everything there! Thanks!

I guess the only thing left to add is the M1911A1 and the Walther PPK. ;)

I'll start working on the page sometime next week. If anything else should be added, please post it here.

IslandHopper
Master Flub Spotter

#6 Post by IslandHopper »

James J. Walters wrote:I guess the only thing left to add is the M1911A1 and the Walther PPK. ;)
When did Magnum have a Walther PPK? I must have missed this.
The answer is obvious, old man. Logic is irrelevant. It's simply Tropical Madness. (J.Q. Higgins)

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#7 Post by J.J. Walters »

I don't remember IH, let me check the Dracos III search engine..... Aha, here we go, "The Big Blow" and "Let the Punishment Fit the Crime". ;)

The Walther PPK was his "surprise", or backup weapon. He carried it in an ankle holster. He didn't use it very often. Sadly, he didn't have it with him on that fateful day in that warehouse.

Doc Ibold
Maniac Emeritus

#8 Post by Doc Ibold »

James J. Walters wrote:I don't remember IH, let me check the Dracos III search engine..... Aha, here we go, "The Big Blow" and "Let the Punishment Fit the Crime". ;)

The Walther PPK was his "surprise", or backup weapon. He carried it in an ankle holster. He didn't use it very often. Sadly, he didn't have it with him on that fateful day in that warehouse.
Also in "Past Tense"

IslandHopper
Master Flub Spotter

#9 Post by IslandHopper »

Yes, thank you for the reminder guys. :)
The answer is obvious, old man. Logic is irrelevant. It's simply Tropical Madness. (J.Q. Higgins)

Danno
Fleet Admiral

#10 Post by Danno »

A lot of the pairs of sunglasses on this site are reasonable Magnum-esque shades.

http://www.ocshades.com/Aviator-Sunglas ... index.html

Pretty cheap too if you're just buying them for fun.

Even cheaper on eBay, search for 'Plastic aviators' and you can find them for as low or even lower than $5.

If you want to get the same shades that TC had below, search for vintage Porsche Design Carrera Sunglasses Aviator 5623. I'm pretty sure that's the model he's wearing here:

Still searching for the same model of sunglasses that Mags is wearing below. I think they might be Dunhills...

Yes, it's been a very quiet day in the office...

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#11 Post by J.J. Walters »

Ok, the first cut of the "Magnum's Gear" page is up:
http://magnum-mania.com/Lists/Magnum_Gear.html

Please post any changes or additions that are needed here.

Thanks again for everyone's input.
Last edited by J.J. Walters on Sun Jan 27, 2008 6:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rubber chicken
Master Location Sleuth

#12 Post by rubber chicken »

But where can I get Higgens' shorts and TC's suspenders? :D Guess that's the second cut. Nice work James!

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#13 Post by J.J. Walters »

Good call RC. I've changed the name to "Magnum Gear" and added a couple of items for Higgins and T.C. What else should be added? Anything for Rick?

Thanks

rubber chicken
Master Location Sleuth

#14 Post by rubber chicken »

Hmm, I only followed this thread, appreciating others people's investigative work, so I'm not sure. The only thing that jumps out at me for Rick right now is that straw type hat he wears in the opening title sequence. Oh and the suit that he's shown in right before that.

I'd have to leave the investigation to someone else though, I wouldn't know where to begin to look for different styles of cloths. He also often wore a watch I think? On the whole, I think Rick's cloths had to blend in more since he needed to be presentable at the club.
Last edited by rubber chicken on Fri Sep 18, 2009 2:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

higgybaby1
Lieutenant Commander

#15 Post by higgybaby1 »

Rick wears a couple shirts quite regularly that are still in fashion today. They have white collars and white cuffs but the rest of the shirt is vertical pinstiping of blue and purple. I found that shirt at a Ralph Lauren Polo outlet store. They also carry the same theme with the white cuffs and collar on several solid collar shirts that Rick also wears.
Higgin's marigold and navy striped tie can also be purchased there!
OH MY GAWD!