Bizarre Foods with Andrew Zimmern: Hawaii

1948-present

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

Bizarre Foods with Andrew Zimmern: Hawaii

#1 Post by J.J. Walters »

Andrew's heading to Hawaii to taste some of the local cuisine (including poi, octopus, wild boar organs and even... Spam!). It airs 10/28 @ 10:00PM (and 11/3 @ 9:00PM) on the Travel Channel.

This is one of my favorite shows. It's even become one of my wife's favorite shows, which really surprised me. Andrew is a great personality (and a great chef and writer, as well).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bizarre_Fo ... ew_Zimmern
http://www.travelchannel.com/TV_Shows/Bizarre_Foods
Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!

IKnowWhatYoureThinking
Macho Taco & Coops Connoisseur

#2 Post by IKnowWhatYoureThinking »

Thanks for the heads up James! We love watching this show but catch it hit and miss. Now this episode s on Tivo alert!

rubber chicken
Master Location Sleuth

#3 Post by rubber chicken »

Cool! I don't usually watch full episodes of his show, but I will this time.

This got me wondering whether or not Anthony Bourdain: No Reservations has visited Hawaii. In that link I see that he did, this past season on March 3, 2008. I don't think I saw that though.

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#4 Post by J.J. Walters »

Very entertaining episode with lots of good shots of the islands, particularly Maui. If I ever make it to Maui I'm definitely going to check out Da Kitchen.

Unlike most episodes, I think I'd actually try most of the items seen (with the exception of the wild boar organs). Poi, despite looking like wall paper paste, seems very interesting. And the lavender chicken dish looked great.

My wife and I couldn't stop laughing over Andrew and the Spam! Of all the things he eats and likes (which is pretty much everything, sans "aged" stinky tofu and a few other things), he can barely stomach Spam! LOL!
Last edited by J.J. Walters on Wed Oct 29, 2008 3:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!

IKnowWhatYoureThinking
Macho Taco & Coops Connoisseur

#5 Post by IKnowWhatYoureThinking »

James, I thought it was a good episode as well, and I think the foods were a little more normal than the usual fare. I'm also with you on why Spam would gross him out so much. I'm sure most of the dishes he had with it had the flavor masked by other ingredients.