California fires -- OT?

For everything else!

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

golfmobile
Chopper Pilot Wannabe

California fires -- OT?

#1 Post by golfmobile »

Hey, for our California residents here:

1. Are all of you okay and not damaged by the fires? (Of course, if you're burned out, you probably don't have a computer to read this . . . . and I tend to doubt this is the first place you'd be checking from a laptop in a hotel room . . . .)

2. Are the fires anywhere near TS' avocado ranch? It'd be a shame if he lost 600 trees in the freeze and then the others burn up!

SelleckLover, you're around the area, aren't you? What's your take on things? I'm assuming you're safe, I hope, I hope.

golf
"Portside, buddy."

Miss Q
Fleet Admiral

#2 Post by Miss Q »

Golf you beat me to the post....

I hope our So Cal friends are safe and sound!

Sellerlover I hope you and your family are ok, please check in with us when you can.... I think when you spoke of your California roots you are basically located in the midst of the fire. :(
Don't look at the dogs, work the lock

SelleckLover
RENLEDUN, Protectrix of the Realm

#3 Post by SelleckLover »

Thank you everyone for your concern. I am indeed, near one of the fires, (Santiago Fire) but not near enough to be affected by it. I live about a 10 minute drive from the ocean and can see Catalina Island on a clear day.

Mr. Selleck's ranch is in Ventura County near the L.A. County border, but the fires thankfully never got out of L.A. County. Our fire, (in Orange County) was set by an arsonist and they are offering a $100,000 reward for any information that leads to the arrest and conviction of the arsonist. The air quality is very poor here, because we're getting all the smoke and soot from the fires in San Diego. Every day I go out and have a layer of ashes and soot on my car. I don't go outside unless I have to. They closed the major interstate highway (I-5), and it's the only way to get down to San Diego. Since we're close to San Diego, a lot of people around here work there.

We are doing fine and are in no danger. Thanks for the concern!

:D

N1095A
World Class Private Investigator

#4 Post by N1095A »

SelleckLover wrote: Our fire, (in Orange County) was set by an arsonist and they are offering a $100,000 reward for any information that leads to the arrest and conviction of the arsonist. :D
Glad to hear you're OK.

Maybe it's just me, but I think the arsonist when caught should face life in prison. Not sure if California has the death penalty. The unbelievable damage, and risk to life and property by this dispicable act is inexcusable.
"But Higgins, I can explain."

SelleckLover

#5 Post by SelleckLover »

N,
FYI: In California, arson is classified as anywhere from a Class II to a Class IV Felony if there is > $100 in damage, to a Misdemeanor if there is <$100 in damage. The minimum sentence is 8-10 years in prison with restitution to the victim(s), and the maximum sentence being death if there is loss of life.
Unfortunately, only 13 people have been executed since California reinstated the Death Penalty in 1977.

Source: My sister is a lawyer who practices law in California.

P.S. The reward is now up to $250,000.

Olivier
Rear Admiral

#6 Post by Olivier »

Unfortunately, only 13 people have been executed since California reinstated the Death Penalty in 1977.
Yes, but you' re lucky to still have this penalty. In France 26 years ago it has been removed. Others european countries don' t have too.

SelleckLover

#7 Post by SelleckLover »

O,

You don't have to apologize for your English...you get your point across quite well. If I had to do all my posts in French, having to rely on the French I learned in high school, I wouldn't be posting anything unless I felt sick, or tired. (Je me sens malade, je me sens fatigue.) Don't ask me why I remember that from almost 40 years ago! LOL

:D

Olivier
Rear Admiral

#8 Post by Olivier »

Thank you for you message. Sometimes it' s not easy for me to write english, so i' m worry some people are bored to read me.
Bye !

golfmobile
Chopper Pilot Wannabe

#9 Post by golfmobile »

Olivier,

Il ne faut pas que vous faites des excuses pour votre anglais! C'est ma francais! Quel est mieux?

Donc, s'il vous plait, continuez a dire en englais, avec confidence! Nous vous comprendons (je pens que j'ai dit cela correctement -- ou peut-être non!).

golf
"Portside, buddy."

Olivier
Rear Admiral

#10 Post by Olivier »

Bravo Golf ! I' m surprised, your french is very good. I hope sometimes you have the chance to speak french in U.S.
A bientôt !

Jean-Claude Fornier
Rear Admiral

#11 Post by Jean-Claude Fornier »

C'est sympa de voir qu'il y a un autre français grand fan de Magnum, dans ce forum !

Olivier
Rear Admiral

#12 Post by Olivier »

Salut J-C Fornier ! (pas mal le pseudo)

Avec toi on est trois français maintenant, on va bientôt pouvoir se monter un forum francophone ! En tout cas ce forum est super, c' est dingue le nombre d' infos intéressantes que j' ai pu apprendre, notamment sur la résidence.

A bientôt !

(Sorry for writing french it' s the last time, next we' ll write by private messages).

Jean-Claude Fornier
Rear Admiral

#13 Post by Jean-Claude Fornier »

Luther Gillis (my favorite character) was already taken, so I thought about using J-C Fornier !

About Magnum's residence, I don't know if it's mentionned on this excellent site, but I found this (in french) :

http://www.ou-cest.fr/Ou-est-la-maison- ... sters-.php

Really funny to travel from this point and to join Waikiki beach with the roads !

Olivier
Rear Admiral

#14 Post by Olivier »

I downloaded "Google Earth" and I found the residence. Long time but I knew it was on south-east, I followed the road near the sea.
Not so far we can also see the "Island Hopper" pier.

golfmobile
Chopper Pilot Wannabe

#15 Post by golfmobile »

JCF,

Tres interessant! Il est possible a voir la maison de Robin Masters plusiers places sur l'internet, mais c'est plaisant a lui voir a un emplacement francais aussi.

Okay, that's the extent of my lousy French for now.

Google Earth probably provided that view that you posted, since it appears to be the usual top-down Google Earth view.

This one shows pictures taken from a tourist helicopter ride over the area:

Robin's Nest from Helicopter

This one shows a visit by the same fans (I think) at ground level:

Beach Level

I believe those pictures were taken in 2002, and from what others have posted here, it seems the estate has gotten even more rundown and overgrown in the five years since then.

If you haven't already seen those, they are certainly interesting and informative.

golf
"Portside, buddy."