My Robin's Nest Re-creation

For all non-episode specific topics about the show, including MPI-related "tie-ins"

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

Doc Ibold
Maniac Emeritus

#31 Post by Doc Ibold »

No worries, I was just joshing you!

If I was at a Magnum premiere party, I probably WOULD have 7 Old Dusseldorfs!

SelleckLover
RENLEDUN, Protectrix of the Realm

#32 Post by SelleckLover »

If I was at a Magnum premiere party, I probably WOULD have 7 Old Dusseldorfs!

^5 Doc!

rubber chicken
Master Location Sleuth

#33 Post by rubber chicken »

lol, I'm glad to see that I look happy, although I'm apparently not wearing my life size rubber chicken suit.

Glad to know Doc Ibold is ok too, it must have been the kona winds. :)

IslandHopper
Master Flub Spotter

#34 Post by IslandHopper »

Very cool James. It looks like you got a conga line going there. Hmm, a conga line, a guy dressed in an elephant costume...looks like everybody sampled some Old Dusseldorfs, and maybe some Bazookas too. Do you have one of those adult beverage tents in your theme park like they have at Busch Gardens and Sea World (where you can sample various Anheiser-Busch products, but in this case Old Dusseldorfs, Coops, Tiller, Flagler, and Bazookas)?
The answer is obvious, old man. Logic is irrelevant. It's simply Tropical Madness. (J.Q. Higgins)

golfmobile
Chopper Pilot Wannabe

#35 Post by golfmobile »

Well . . . . since I'm not a beer drinker, I request James to set up a "golfmobile's margaritas" tent for me. I'll lure all you beer drinkers in, and you'll be passed out in all my hammocks after you taste MY margaritas! That is, if you don't stagger out on the beach and fall down in the tidal pool, laughing like loons, and nearly drown. Kahuna Charlie will have to bring a LOT of his friends to rescue you!

golf
"Portside, buddy."

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#36 Post by J.J. Walters »

LOL golf! Sounds like you make one heck of a good margarita! :)
IslandHopper wrote:Do you have one of those adult beverage tents in your theme park like they have at Busch Gardens and Sea World?
The game doesn't include alcoholic beverages, but you can rename the drink stalls and pretend. Hehe. The little people that visit your park ("peeps" as they are called in the game) really don't care what it is they consume, as long as it's some sort of drink or food item. They also have bathroom needs. If they can't find an available bathroom they start to get upset (i.e. their happiness level goes down). If they get really angry they will start to vandalize the park by smashing trash cans, benches and lamps! No joke! They can also get sick (usually by going on rides that are too intense for their individual preference -- like roller coasters with high g-forces). If they get really sick they will puke on the paths.

The guy who created this game, Chris Sawyer, really did a great job with the little details of amusement park management. There are all sorts of things you have to pay attention to.

However, there is a whole subset of people who don't even open up their parks to these little "peeps". They just use the game for the wonderful "design" aspect ot it, to create things ....

.... like this - a baseball and football stadium!

:shock:

I can't begin to tell you how much time, skill and creativity it takes to make something like this from small block-like objects. Simply amazing!
Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!

xmag
Lieutenant Junior Grade

#37 Post by xmag »

Hello, brand new poster, here. I am french and I got all the DVD released in my country. Magnum PI, it's my childhood. And I still love it after watching the DVD.

About the house, I have just watched the episode from Season 3, taking place during an hurricane, where a woman gives birth to twins.

It made me wonder about the internal plans of the house. Where is located the dining room and the kitchen, on the plan ? And where are the library, the living room where Michael watches games on the videotape recorder, or the never seen sauna ?

I am a hard time placing those rooms in the house. Well, in the tv house, not in the real estate. I was just wondering what was the inside plan of the beautiful Robin Marsters' estate.

PS : is there a thread to talk about Higgins = Robin Marsters ? Thank you.

golfmobile
Chopper Pilot Wannabe

#38 Post by golfmobile »

Welcome, XMag!

You will find this to be a wonderful place for information about the show. I think it will take you about six months to catch up on all the threads going on actively here!

I don't know that a floor plan has ever been determined for the estate interior based on the shows (as you said, the interior scenes were not from the actual estate). But I think it's a wonderful idea to try to figure one out.

I wonder if rubberchicken, who can find all the exterior places, could be encouraged to develop an interior floor plan.

I agree with you that we really have no idea of the layout. I think we can determine that there is an entry hall with the curving staircase to the right (as one enters) and that the study is basically straight ahead of the entrance. From "Basket Case," the living room/parlor should be slightly to the left off the entry way and left of the study. I would assume the kitchen would be to the right, past the staircase. The upstairs bedrooms seem to lead off a central hallway. There is an upstairs balcony/porch/lanai -- and at least one bedroom looks down on the lawn (Higgins acting out the window "Red-faced Thespian").

A lot of people here know the episodes better than I -- so who can work up a floor plan for the estate based on what is seen in what episodes?

But this could be quite a challenge -- to create a "footprint"/floor plan of the estate as we see it in the show. How many rooms do we actually see?

Any engineers/architects here who could work something up that would work, based on what we see over the eight-year run?

golf
"Portside, buddy."

eeyore
Admiral

#39 Post by eeyore »

I'm an architect, guess I should see if i could give it a shot.

rubber chicken
Master Location Sleuth

#40 Post by rubber chicken »

Go for it eeyore, if it doesn't involve google earth I'm worthless. :)

Personally I'm not optimistic about it working out very well, at least not when fit into the actual shape of the Anderson estate. Might end up looking like the Winchester Mystery House.

There's also the little outside dining area used in Basket Case I think, and others.

eeyore
Admiral

#41 Post by eeyore »

If you are "acquainted" at all with me on this site you know my obsession has been the guest house. I LOVE studying the shows and watching what changes in the stageset from season to season. Just something as insignificant as the phone! LOL In the early shows, at one time there was a phone hanging on the wall inside the kitchenette and also, in anither show, one hanging on the side of the cabinet the fridge is in.
From what I can determine though you enter the foyer and to the right is the stair and the study. The stairs down to the wine cellar are next to the stair. The darkroom opens off the study and the living room is straight ahead. I'm not quite sure what opens off to the left, I have a vague idea, but I need to watch some more episodes first, Season 8 is on it's way!!
I feel so sad though, no more Magnum DVD's to look forward to. Guess I have to shift my focus to digging up old Tom Selleck stuff and/or Jesse Stone (Sea Change should be in my same shipment as Season 8!) Can't wait for Thin Ice, was originally supposed to be aired last month!! and now I am all caught up on Robert Parker as far as paperback, so I am in wait mode AGAIN!!

golfmobile
Chopper Pilot Wannabe

#42 Post by golfmobile »

Yep, they used that "outdoor dining space" several times -- I remember once with one of Higgins' numerous half-brothers -- was it Faith and Begorrah?

golf
"Portside, buddy."

Zeus73
Lieutenant Junior Grade

#43 Post by Zeus73 »

Hey james

that' fantastic!!!!

you did a wonderful job

Aloha
I say...Magnum

xmag
Lieutenant Junior Grade

#44 Post by xmag »

golfmobile wrote:I don't know that a floor plan has ever been determined for the estate interior based on the shows (as you said, the interior scenes were not from the actual estate). But I think it's a wonderful idea to try to figure one out.
Yeah, I think so. The interior plan has been driving me insane. I tried to picture a plan in my mind but it's hard with so little informations.
I would assume the kitchen would be to the right, past the staircase.
In the episode taking place during the hurricane, with the pregnant woman, the guests go to the left of the entrance door, to go to the dining room. And this dining room leads directly in the kitchen.

I remember an episode where there's a library. There's the room with the videotape recorder and there's a sauna which has been mentioned, too.

So are the library and the other room on the part of the house, with the patio ?
How many rooms do we actually see?
Hmmm, very good question.

ThomasSullivanMagnumIV
Captain

Re: My Robin's Nest Re-creation

#45 Post by ThomasSullivanMagnumIV »

What prgram did you use to re-create Robin's Nest?