Scenes cut from re runs... How about on DVD'S?

For all non-episode specific topics about the show, including MPI-related "tie-ins"

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

Gritty
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Scenes cut from re runs... How about on DVD'S?

#1 Post by Gritty »

When first Magnum was rerun it was great. But I remembered seeing the "Mr. White Death" show and when Magnum was supposed to look at the camera... the whole thing was cut right out and went to commercial!!!!

Magnum goes with Earl to his hotel after they eat some sushi, Earl is thrown out that night and asks "Mag" if he knew where he could find a place to stay, Magnum turns his head and looks at the camera. Now I have seen that scene on Sleuth and they had the camera look but even on A&E a few years ago they did not have it.

In episode "I Do?" when Magnum gets married into a wealthy family to find out who has been sticking their hand in the cookie jar too many times, they all have a breakfast at the The King Kamehameha Club, right... Originally, Magnum runs into Higgins who is, of course, pissed that since Magnum has married into the family he's now part of the club membership and can't do anything about it!!! That scene is totally cut out of the rerun, period.

Now I'm not a DVD person and don't buy movies or shows for a library but could somebody check out to see if in "I Do?" the scene I mentioned is actually in there?

Cutting stuff down for time slots in syndication is one thing. When they take out scenes that kind of thing ticks me the @%&*! off!!

Gritty

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

Re: Scenes cut from re runs... How about on DVD'S?

#2 Post by J.J. Walters »

Gritty wrote:Now I'm not a DVD person and don't buy movies or shows for a library but could somebody check out to see if in "I Do?" the scene I mentioned is actually in there?
Yeah, it's there. That's one of the good things about the DVD's, all episodes are uncut and remastered. :D The only time you will see the episodes trimmed is on syndication airings.
Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!

IslandHopper
Master Flub Spotter

#3 Post by IslandHopper »

I know what you guys mean. I hate it when they cut scenes too.

I recently saw "Curse of the King Kam. Club" (season 1) recently, either on Sleuth or WGN, and they cut one of my favorite scenes from that episode to go to a commercial. The scene they cut was when TC and Magnum are driving to find Makua, and they pull up to the convenience store to ask for directions to Makua's house, and standing on the front porch of the store is this leggy local girl in tight red shorts and heels standing with a bag of groceries on the front porch. TC's starts arguing with Magnum to get out of there because he thinks they are going to get beaten up by some big local guys. That scene was deleted from the TV version. The episode continued (I think) with Magnum and TC pulling up to Makua's house.

This is one of the reasons I buy the DVD's. Another great thing about the DVD's is that the picture quality is so much better. A lot of the episodes you see on TV are faded and dull. It's amazing what they can do to imporve the quality on the DVD's.

grundle
Admiral

#4 Post by grundle »

In "The Black Orchid" from season 1, toward the end of the episode there's a line of dialogue that says, "This time the drug dealers are using real bullets." That always confused me whenever I watched the syndicated version.

Only after watching the full version on DVD did I understand what that meant, because now I could see that in the beginning, there was a scene with actors pretending to be drug dealers and using fake bullets. That scene is always cut out for syndication, but it's one of the most important scenes of the episode.

In fact, after getting the DVDs, instead of having "No Need To Know" as my favorite season 1 episode, it's now a tie between both of those episodes.