40th Anniversary Watch Party

For all non-episode specific topics about the show, including MPI-related "tie-ins"

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

usc1
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Re: 40th Anniversary Watch Party

#916 Post by usc1 »

Pahonu wrote: Sat Nov 26, 2022 4:25 pm
usc1 wrote: Fri Nov 25, 2022 11:08 pm Selleck I think played volleyball as well at SC. I know his son played on the USC volleyball team as I would see him at the games on campus all the time.
I don’t think he could have played volleyball at SC. Men’s volleyball only started as an NCAA sport in 1970 and he left SC in 1967. I did just recently learn that he also pitched on their baseball team. That would also conflict with playing volleyball as both are spring sports in the NCAA.

That’s interesting about his son playing. I didn’t know that.
Hi,

This is a quote from an article, "Mirko first came to know Tom when they were both playing for the Trojan basketball team as well as the volleyball team."

Article in question: https://www.uscsigmachi.org/tom-selleck

It was written by his fraternity. Intramural team perhaps?

terryfromkerry
Fleet Admiral

#917 Post by terryfromkerry »

Thanks for posting usc1. Great find, well done.👌
"Oh Jonathan !....oh Jonathan, come quickly ...... your hot cross buns are smoking".

Pahonu
Robin's Nest Expert Extraordinaire

#918 Post by Pahonu »

usc1 wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 4:17 am
Pahonu wrote: Sat Nov 26, 2022 4:25 pm
usc1 wrote: Fri Nov 25, 2022 11:08 pm Selleck I think played volleyball as well at SC. I know his son played on the USC volleyball team as I would see him at the games on campus all the time.
I don’t think he could have played volleyball at SC. Men’s volleyball only started as an NCAA sport in 1970 and he left SC in 1967. I did just recently learn that he also pitched on their baseball team. That would also conflict with playing volleyball as both are spring sports in the NCAA.

That’s interesting about his son playing. I didn’t know that.
Hi,

This is a quote from an article, "Mirko first came to know Tom when they were both playing for the Trojan basketball team as well as the volleyball team."

Article in question: https://www.uscsigmachi.org/tom-selleck

It was written by his fraternity. Intramural team perhaps?
That makes perfect sense being on an intramural team. Thanks for the details.

T.Q.
Fleet Admiral

#919 Post by T.Q. »

December 2nd, 1982

Magnum, P.I.
Mixed Doubles
Episode Screen CapsEpisode Number: 50
Air Date: 12/2/1982

Practicing to take part in an upcoming pro-am tennis tournament, Magnum is assigned by Robin Masters to protect a spoiled young tennis star who is receiving death threats. Thomas finds his patience tested by the girl's bratty behavior, but is pleased that the tournament sees him reunited with an old flame - who is the girl's main competitor, and thus the prime suspect.

Guest Stars: Kim Richards (Carrie Reardon), Henry Gibson (Ronald Mills), Elaine Giftos (Ginger Leah Grant), Claudette Nevins (Phyllis Reardon), Phillip English (Dave Duncan), Anulka Dziubinska (Zora Korcek), Nels Van Patten (Kenny Phelps)
Knocking my rubber chicken or my sloppy habits is within the rules, but you're attacking my character. I would like to think you don't mean that.

T.Q.
Fleet Admiral

#920 Post by T.Q. »

I had a big crush on Kim Richards (Carrie Reardon). :lol:
Knocking my rubber chicken or my sloppy habits is within the rules, but you're attacking my character. I would like to think you don't mean that.

terryfromkerry
Fleet Admiral

#921 Post by terryfromkerry »

Speaking about this episode in Aloha Magnum, Larry Manetti wrote " I tried to learn how to play tennis because they couldn't use a stunt double. The director made me practice during all my free time, but it still didn't matter..... I stunk! " 🤭
"Oh Jonathan !....oh Jonathan, come quickly ...... your hot cross buns are smoking".

ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan)
Fleet Admiral

#922 Post by ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) »

T.Q. wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 12:17 am I had a big crush on Kim Richards (Carrie Reardon). :lol:
I remember a younger Kim in a very good ROCKFORD FILES episode "The Family Hour" (much better than this episode), with Burt "Paulie" Young playing her father. She was also in an excellent STREETS OF SAN FRANCISCO episode "River of Fear" which was basically an updated version of the NIGHT OF THE HUNTER (1955, Robert Mitchum) tale.

Chris109
Fleet Admiral

#923 Post by Chris109 »

T.Q. wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 12:17 am I had a big crush on Kim Richards (Carrie Reardon). :lol:
She was very cute. Now, however, she looks rather scary.

T.Q.
Fleet Admiral

#924 Post by T.Q. »

December 9th, 1982

Magnum, P.I.
Almost Home
Season Number: 3.11
Air Date: 12/9/1982

When a feisty cocktail waitress is denied permission to scatter her late father's ashes at the USS Arizona Memorial in Pearl Harbor due to a court martial ruling that he was AWOL, she turns to Magnum to prove her father was indeed present during the infamous Japanese raid.

Guest Stars: Kathleen Lloyd (Bridget Archer), Beulah Quo (Aiko Tamura), Stephen Elliott (Admiral Philip Wheeler), Gilbert Green (Vic Stout), Gabriel Aio (Kimo)

Fleet Admiral

#925 Post by ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) »

T.Q. wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 7:30 pm Image

December 9th, 1982

Magnum, P.I.
Almost Home
Season Number: 3.11
Air Date: 12/9/1982

When a feisty cocktail waitress is denied permission to scatter her late father's ashes at the USS Arizona Memorial in Pearl Harbor due to a court martial ruling that he was AWOL, she turns to Magnum to prove her father was indeed present during the infamous Japanese raid.

Guest Stars: Kathleen Lloyd (Bridget Archer), Beulah Quo (Aiko Tamura), Stephen Elliott (Admiral Philip Wheeler), Gilbert Green (Vic Stout), Gabriel Aio (Kimo)
A very timely episode, since yesterday was December 7.

T.Q.
Fleet Admiral

#926 Post by T.Q. »

December 16th, 1982

Magnum, P.I.
Heal Thyself
Season Number: 3.12
Air Date: 12/16/1982

When a doctor who was a nurse during Magnum's days in Vietnam is accused of poisoning patients, he tries to clear her name, but is puzzled by her and her husband's rebuffing his offer of assistance and irritated by an agressive reporter.

Guest Stars: Marcia Strassman (Dr. Karen Harmon), Peter Brown (Robert Brighton), Edward Winter (Dr. Jorgenson), Kario Salem (Eric Daniels), Woody Eney (Phillip Harriman), Chris Penn (Wounded Soldier)

eagle
Fleet Admiral

#927 Post by eagle »

I'm running a little behind on my viewing, but my boys and I are going camping this weekend so we'll take along the episodes to catch up, and probably Operation: Silent Night... and I forget if there was another Christmas episode.

charybdis1966
Fleet Admiral

#928 Post by charybdis1966 »

eagle wrote: Fri Dec 16, 2022 1:30 pm I'm running a little behind on my viewing, but my boys and I are going camping this weekend so we'll take along the episodes to catch up, and probably Operation: Silent Night... and I forget if there was another Christmas episode.
I can only think of “Thank heavens for little girls..and big ones too” as another Christmas themed episode.

eagle
Fleet Admiral

#929 Post by eagle »

charybdis1966 wrote: Fri Dec 16, 2022 4:10 pm
eagle wrote: Fri Dec 16, 2022 1:30 pm I'm running a little behind on my viewing, but my boys and I are going camping this weekend so we'll take along the episodes to catch up, and probably Operation: Silent Night... and I forget if there was another Christmas episode.
I can only think of “Thank heavens for little girls..and big ones too” as another Christmas themed episode.
Oh, right! Maybe we'll take that one along too.

Fleet Admiral

#930 Post by ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) »

T.Q. wrote: Thu Dec 15, 2022 6:34 pm Image

December 16th, 1982

Magnum, P.I.
Heal Thyself
Season Number: 3.12
Air Date: 12/16/1982

When a doctor who was a nurse during Magnum's days in Vietnam is accused of poisoning patients, he tries to clear her name, but is puzzled by her and her husband's rebuffing his offer of assistance and irritated by an agressive reporter.

Guest Stars: Marcia Strassman (Dr. Karen Harmon), Peter Brown (Robert Brighton), Edward Winter (Dr. Jorgenson), Kario Salem (Eric Daniels), Woody Eney (Phillip Harriman), Chris Penn (Wounded Soldier)
Definitely one of the better episodes of the season! The Vietnam link is always a plus as well as the Makapuu Lighthouse. And how about TC sawing off Higgy's walking stick (given to him by Monty himself)? :lol: