There is only one Magnum

For all non-episode specific topics about the show, including MPI-related "tie-ins"

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

MagnumILWU
Fleet Admiral

There is only one Magnum

#1 Post by MagnumILWU »

And Tom Selleck knows it! https://youtu.be/pl5MFd0ezpU
"pickled egg please"

MagnumsLeftShoulder
Fleet Admiral

Re: There is only one Magnum

#2 Post by MagnumsLeftShoulder »

I love that Tom just owns it and he doesn't care if his answer to that question is PC or not. Plus, everybody knows he's right! :D

KingKC
Fleet Admiral

#3 Post by KingKC »

I much prefer to remember MPI as it was in the Eighties with the original cast and episodes. I really don't think a re-boot with new actors playing the same characters would have a snowball's chance. At TS said "Magnum was TS". The idea of some type of sequel with Lily as the lead might offer some interesting possibilities but I just don't see it having the attraction of the original MPI. I just cannot imagine another Barnaby Jones, Simon and Simon, Remington Steele or definitely not a Rockford so why do it with MPI????

Diandra
Captain

#4 Post by Diandra »

I totally agree. Can't see a series starring Magnum's daughter!

BWheelz54
Admiral

#5 Post by BWheelz54 »

Reading the comments that have come into the forum on various threads since there was news of a possible MPI reboot with Lily as the main character makes me wonder what the overall opinion is on Magnum Mania about whether a new kinda show would be a good or terrible idea. Does everyone think this would be a good thing to take a poll on? Where might we post that poll? I think it might be interesting to see how the world's best Magnum PI fans break down on the idea of this new show.

Kate Sullivan
Lieutenant Commander

#6 Post by Kate Sullivan »

My view is that I'd prefer it if they left well alone and didn't try to make any kind of reboot/re-imagining/sequel. However, if ABC/Universal are so determined to follow the trend and reboot Magnum, then a sequel with Lily is the least of all evils. But if they rebooted Magnum in the same way as they did with MacGyver or H50, I wouldn't watch.

KingKC
Fleet Admiral

#7 Post by KingKC »

BWheelz54 wrote:Reading the comments that have come into the forum on various threads since there was news of a possible MPI reboot with Lily as the main character makes me wonder what the overall opinion is on Magnum Mania about whether a new kinda show would be a good or terrible idea. Does everyone think this would be a good thing to take a poll on? Where might we post that poll? I think it might be interesting to see how the world's best Magnum PI fans break down on the idea of this new show.
If you want to do a poll I would suggest three choices: 1. A sequel to MPI with Lily running a PI firm with appearances from TM, TC and Rick. 2. A re-boot of MPI with new actors playing the same characters as the original MPI. 3. Neither of the above - Let it be. You can put it here or start a new thread. It really doesn't matter if you ask me.

BWheelz54
Admiral

#8 Post by BWheelz54 »

I just posted a bit of a poll and placed it under the Magnum PI Talk. Didn't know I could make polls. I need to pay better attention.

MikeS
Admiral

#9 Post by MikeS »

Based on the offerings today, if the industry thought it had even a modest chance of success they will give it a go. I would never watch it, not even the least bit interested. MPI is over to them, old news, they don't care if a reboot should taint the memory of the original or even resemble the original.

Entertainment has always copied and rebooted if you will, a variety show is a variety show, but come on, it worked because of the talent. Carol Burnett was a standout personality, hell, everyone was top notch on TCBS - this is what makes the difference. Fallon and Kimmel are fine, but neither have the chops or timing of Carson IMO. But, to a new audience they are the new kings, Carson & Cavett are relics -- so... expect copycats, reboots.

So, to the OP, there is only one Magnum to the fans but not to the industry.
MikeS

midnightx
Commander

#10 Post by midnightx »

Kate Sullivan wrote:My view is that I'd prefer it if they left well alone and didn't try to make any kind of reboot/re-imagining/sequel. However, if ABC/Universal are so determined to follow the trend and reboot Magnum, then a sequel with Lily is the least of all evils. But if they rebooted Magnum in the same way as they did with MacGyver or H50, I wouldn't watch.
Agreed. The H50 reboot is terrible; would hate to see the Magnum franchise and legacy be tarnished in the same way. It was a tremendous character and show, it ran its course, and now it is a part of history. Hopefully it is left alone. That said, in this era of Hollywood and project development, there seems to be a premium on recycling old shows and films, so something as special as Magnum PI certainly has the potential of being redeveloped in some fashion.