Questions for Don Bellisario

For all non-episode specific topics about the show, including MPI-related "tie-ins"

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

Big Kahuna
Lieutenant

Questions for Don Bellisario

#1 Post by Big Kahuna »

I'm a journalist by profession and have been working on a...magnum opus on Magnum, PI as a personal project for some time; re-watching every episode, making notes and observations etc.

And I tell you, this site has been a God-send! I've discovered many of the notes and observations I've made are already here, but thankfully not all.

I've managed to secure an interview with Don Bellisario...and although I have my own, quite specific questions to ask – mainly about choices made in the background history of the principal characters, I thought I'd offer the chance for everyone to suggest additional questions.

The interview is being turned around quite quickly...but there should be time over the weekend to gather up any suggestions.

So, go nuts..!
"I dunno. You have to get on a freeway, the M25 or something"

308GUY
Fleet Admiral

Re: Questions for Don Bellisario

#2 Post by 308GUY »

I'd suggest recording (video) the interview if possible and everyone was agreeable.

Is he aware of the rumors that ABC is planning a "reboot" or sequel/spinoff of MPI? If so, has he been approached in any way to be involved?

Why was no one from/involved with MPI, interested in the purchase of Pahonu when it came on the market?

Where does MPI fall on the list of "favorite" shows he's done?

He seems to use and re-use actors he likes, does he keep in contact with any of them from past projects?

There could be hours worth of stuff, but I'm sure you have your own agenda, and there will more than likely be others here with better suggestions....but, you DID ask! :magnum:

Please let us know when the interview has taken place, and how it turned out.

Thanks for posting! :D
"C'mon TC...nothing can go wrong!"

Styles Bitchley
Magnum Wristwatch Aficionado / Deputy SpamHammer

#3 Post by Styles Bitchley »

I'd suggest watching this super in depth interview so you don't go over too many things and maybe follow up on some things that weren't answered completely.

I'd be most interested in the writing process and inspiration for characters - particularly from Magnum P.I. I know he incorporated elements from his real life into his stories (like his father's bar in Quantum Leap). Are any of the Magnum P.I. characters based on people he knew?
"How fiendishly deceptive of you Magnum. I could have sworn I was hearing the emasculation of a large rodent."

- J.Q.H.

ConchRepublican
COZITV Magnum, P.I. SuperFan / Chief Barkeep - Flemingo Key

#4 Post by ConchRepublican »

Big Kahuna wrote:I'm a journalist by profession and have been working on a...magnum opus on Magnum, PI as a personal project for some time; re-watching every episode, making notes and observations etc.

And I tell you, this site has been a God-send! I've discovered many of the notes and observations I've made are already here, but thankfully not all.

I've managed to secure an interview with Don Bellisario...and although I have my own, quite specific questions to ask – mainly about choices made in the background history of the principal characters, I thought I'd offer the chance for everyone to suggest additional questions.

The interview is being turned around quite quickly...but there should be time over the weekend to gather up any suggestions.

So, go nuts..!
This is great, good luck to you!

Questions I'd have:
- Is there a notebook that the writers used to keep track of Higgins past?
- Are there portions they intended to use and never got around to?
- Was it intentional that Thomas was working through a sort of PSTD throughout the series and that him coming full-circle and re-upping was his closure and making peace with his past service?
- How difficult was it not to overuse the "Little Voice" from a premonition stand point?
- Was there ever an outline for the future of Thomas and the gang past season 8 that was used as a guide in previous seasons?
- Is there a Thomas, Higgins, T.C. or Rick story that he wanted to tell but never got around to?
- Does he really love these characters he writes like we the fans do, or is he just telling the stories and when a series ends he just moves on to the next one?

My personal nagging question:
- Since "Limbo" is my favorite episode (probably of all-time), who was responsible for chosing John Denver's "Looking for Space" as the core music for the episode? Music is an integral component of so many things and to me this song put the episode right over the top.

Looking forward to hearing how things go!
CoziTV Superfan spot
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPTmsykLQ04

Styles Bitchley

#5 Post by Styles Bitchley »

Is Jonathan Higgins based on the real life Lieutenant Colonel John Masters, as suggested (quite effectively) by Higgy-baby in this thread?
"How fiendishly deceptive of you Magnum. I could have sworn I was hearing the emasculation of a large rodent."

- J.Q.H.

BWheelz54
Admiral

#6 Post by BWheelz54 »

It's the end of September as I type this post. I'm curious to know how things may have gone. Did you get to sit down with Bellisario? Is your interview available anywhere? I would sure like to read it if it is. I'm just curious for a bit of an update to see how things might've gone. Thanks!

Styles Bitchley

#7 Post by Styles Bitchley »

BWheelz54 wrote:It's the end of September as I type this post. I'm curious to know how things may have gone. Did you get to sit down with Bellisario? Is your interview available anywhere? I would sure like to read it if it is. I'm just curious for a bit of an update to see how things might've gone. Thanks!
This was just posted this morning.

- J.Q.H.

BWheelz54
Admiral

#8 Post by BWheelz54 »

Uh, I see that now. I'm not a very sharp pencil sometimes. I read the dates all wrong. SO, anyway, keep us posted and good luck with the interview.

Styles Bitchley

#9 Post by Styles Bitchley »

BWheelz54 wrote:Uh, I see that now. I'm not a very sharp pencil sometimes. I read the dates all wrong. SO, anyway, keep us posted and good luck with the interview.
:wink:

- J.Q.H.