Why not revive Magnum as a mini-series or TV movie?

For all non-episode specific topics about the show, including MPI-related "tie-ins"

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

MagnumFan
Captain

Why not revive Magnum as a mini-series or TV movie?

#1 Post by MagnumFan »

Let's be honest:
I don't think Magnum has enough mainstream appeal to be a motion picture. In 1989, or the early-mid 1990s, definitely. But now? A reboot would not even capture the original series in any way and would just be a lame, horribly done homage/parody (similar to the movie of Starsky and Hutch).

But, look at the smashing success of the recent revival of The X-Files. It's only a six episode mini-season, but it's gotten huge ratings. Given the long-term success of Blue Bloods, it's obvious Tom is still a bankable TV star, and he's popular with people who grew up in the '80s, people who grew up in the '90s thanks to Friends, and a younger audience due to Blue Bloods (as well as Millenials due to Archer paying homage to Magnum).

We live in an age where 80s/90s nostalgia sells big. Look at the success of the aforementioned X-Files revival, the upcoming Full House revival, the new Star Wars sequel's amazing success, the success of Jurassic World and the fact that most movies coming out are revivals or sequels to older franchises.

Thomas may be 70 years old, but the man looks like he could easily pull off a guy in his mid 50s. I'm sure using makeup, most of the other cast could be "de-aged" as well. Make a TV movie or short mini-series, set it around 2000 or so. Have it be that Higgins has just passed on and Tom has resigned his commission again to take care of The Robin's Nest now that Lily is grown up and out of respect to his old friend and mentor, and he finds himself caught up in old and new cases and fun new hijincks, while (as the series often did) being also mature and recognizing that we're dealer with an older and mature cast.

BWheelz54
Admiral

Re: Why not revive Magnum as a mini-series or TV movie?

#2 Post by BWheelz54 »

I agree. I think it would soar. And I also think there's still a very deep, deep well of stories in the Magnum universe. Oh, if only I owned a major television studio! I agree, agree, agree!

MagnumFan
Captain

#3 Post by MagnumFan »

BWheelz54 wrote:I agree. I think it would soar. And I also think there's still a very deep, deep well of stories in the Magnum universe. Oh, if only I owned a major television studio! I agree, agree, agree!
It definitely would soar. Magnum was huge in its day; to this day, women above 30 consider Tom either an idol of their youth, a sex symbol, or both. He proves he can still steal a scene with ease on Blue Bloods. Then you have slightly younger women who went nuts for him as Richard on Friends in the mid 90s, showing he has appeal with Gen Xers as well.

If The X-Files, Full House, and Twin Peaks can be revived, I don't see how it could possibly hurt the producers to give Magnum a limited mini-season run. The fans would love it, it'd get a good ratings kick due to nostalgia, Tom I'm sure would do it and I can bet anything the other cast would be totally down for it too.

This would avoid the question of "who to cast to replace Tom", because in a mini-series, there's no need to replace Tom, there's not the millions of dollars on the line that would be in the case of a motion picture. He's aged very well. Look at David Duchovny. He's 56 and handling the lead role in The X-Files like the series never left.

Fans don't need a motion picture; we just want to see Tom, T.C., Rick and Lily, regardless of the medium.

MagnumILWU
Fleet Admiral

#4 Post by MagnumILWU »

Because they are too old! It would NEVER be the same! They know it, and it's time fans put it to rest!
"pickled egg please"

MagnumFan
Captain

#5 Post by MagnumFan »

MagnumILWU wrote:Because they are too old! It would NEVER be the same! They know it, and it's time fans put it to rest!
Tom can easily pass for a guy in his 50s and the others don't look too bad. As far as it "wouldn't be the same", the show was moving in a more mature direction the last two years anyway. The show could be great with Magnum being both Higgy-like to an extent, taking on that sort of maturity and experienced wisdom, while still being Magnum. It wouldn't be exactly the same, but then the show wasn't the exact same over the 8 years it was on anyway. It'dd still be great.

Orrymain
Lieutenant Commander

#6 Post by Orrymain »

I don't think it would work. They are too old for the type of show Magnum was, with the action as well as the drama and comedic angles. The age thing isn't at play for many shows because of the genre. I just think people would be disappointed and I don't have faith in the powers that be to get the continuity right. The other part of the age thing is that they do have to answer all those questions that result from the finale. Did Rick get married? Did he grow up or is he still the playboy? TC was back with his wife. The kids would have kids. etc etc etc

... plus, you can't exclude Higgens. Hillerman, too, is much older now. I just don't think it would play well.

Oh, I'd watch it in a heartbeat. Maybe I'm wrong, but Magnum needs to stay where it is in my opinion.

MagnumILWU
Fleet Admiral

#7 Post by MagnumILWU »

"pickled egg please"

marlboro
Baron Of GIFs

#8 Post by marlboro »

This quote doesn't sound like something Higgins would say:

Co-star John Hillerman (who played Higgins) has also previously explained, “It would be terrible to do something and have it not be good,”. “It was so terrific ... If we did a Magnum, P.I. movie and it sucked, then it would, you know, blemish it.”

So I googled that quote, and I ended up with this:

http://www.goodhollywood.com/details/th ... haughnessy

Fran explained, “It would be terrible to do something and have it not be good,”. “It was so terrific ... If we did a Nanny movie and it sucked, then it would, you know, blemish it.”

Doesn't it seem odd that two stories about reunions of old tv shows would have such similar quotes? Especially considering no one has heard anything out of Hillerman in a long, long time?

My little voice...er...Google search bar then brought me to this:

http://wafflesatnoon.com/mediamass-fake-news/

While most readers of well-known satirical sites such as The Onion or The Daily Currant typically understand that these websites are at least attempting to be funny, those who discover articles by Mediamass aren’t always aware that the stories are fake – even those writing for legitimate news websites.

BWheelz54
Admiral

#9 Post by BWheelz54 »

The cons expressed about any such reunion are good points. I certainly agree that any Magnum reunion just cannot be what it was before. However, I still think a six-part, or ten-part kind of run that's becoming so popular on streaming services could be very good. I would want all the characters to play their natural ages. I do think that there are still good stories out there to mine regardless of how the gang has aged. Hillerman would sorely, sorely be missed, but I do think the show could really honor him, particularly given the class the core actors exhibit. It might well be me imagining things again, but I sense that Mr. Selleck does want to give Magnum one more visit in some medium. I don't think a traditional season run would work at all. I don't think a movie would work. But I do think a small, mini-series kind of event would really be something. I really do.

And if pigs would one day fly, and if such a thing would ever, strangely happen, we have to find some way to throw a silly party on this site. Even if it's just to wish we could fire up that time machine and watch all those great, old episodes like they were new again. It's a shame you only get one chance before it all turns into reruns.

308GUY
Fleet Admiral

#10 Post by 308GUY »

BWheelz54 wrote:The cons expressed about any such reunion are good points. I certainly agree that any Magnum reunion just cannot be what it was before. However, I still think a six-part, or ten-part kind of run that's becoming so popular on streaming services could be very good. I would want all the characters to play their natural ages. I do think that there are still good stories out there to mine regardless of how the gang has aged. Hillerman would sorely, sorely be missed, but I do think the show could really honor him, particularly given the class the core actors exhibit. It might well be me imagining things again, but I sense that Mr. Selleck does want to give Magnum one more visit in some medium. I don't think a traditional season run would work at all. I don't think a movie would work. But I do think a small, mini-series kind of event would really be something. I really do.

And if pigs would one day fly, and if such a thing would ever, strangely happen, we have to find some way to throw a silly party on this site. Even if it's just to wish we could fire up that time machine and watch all those great, old episodes like they were new again. It's a shame you only get one chance before it all turns into reruns.

Agreed.

I've also noticed a glint in TS's eye that at least suggests that he wouldn't mind revisiting his MPI role. Maybe for one last hurrah...maybe to tie up a couple loose ends, maybe just for nostalgia's sake, or it could be as BW hints, just my imagination or wishful thinking.

I too think the one shot special, or tv movie, or "mini-series" would be the best venue for it to happen.

I could envision a full length theater bound production, but it just doesn't seem realistic unless it had a huge budget and an extensive amount of forethought, planning and pre-production initiative, which seems less and less likely as time marches on.

As always, time will tell what the future holds. My hope at this time, is that IF it does happen, on any scale, it happens while I'm still around to enjoy it! :magnum:

Last edited by 308GUY on Sun Feb 28, 2016 3:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"C'mon TC...nothing can go wrong!"

MagnumFan
Captain

#11 Post by MagnumFan »

Have you guys never considered this angle:

Lily would be roughly the same age now as Magnum was when the show began. She was born in 1982, so she'd be 34. Magnum was 33. Magnum would be about retirement age now. Maybe he's retired from the Navy, and after the death of Higgy, perhaps the Estate/care of it is willed to him by Robin and/or Higgins. Or, if you want to include Higgins in a very limited role due to his disability, include his disability as a reason for his retirng from the Estate...Only to hire Magnum to take his place. If Hillerman is included, could start the series off that way and engage the now older duo in some classic banter, maybe with Higgins saying something along the lines of how he only hired Magnum again because no one else was available. Just classic banter but TM accepts anyway.

Meanwhile, Lily is working for the Navy down in Hawaii herself anyway, so TM moves back in. Could see Magnum taking up some old P.I. work with help from his daughter, or his daughter becoming one herself. Have Magnum be the same guy but take on sort of the Higgins role, in that he's wiser now, he's trying to write HIS memoirs (The Private Investigator's Manual he's always working on) perhaps as well as an aside. Maybe he's retired from the Navy and bored out of his skull anyway. Maybe something from the past resurfaces over the course of a six or ten episode mini series that not only ties father and daughter closer together, but closes the book on some old case(s).

Steve
Fleet Admiral

#12 Post by Steve »

MagnumFan wrote:Have you guys never considered this angle:

Lily would be roughly the same age now as Magnum was when the show began. She was born in 1982, so she'd be 34. Magnum was 33. Magnum would be about retirement age now. Maybe he's retired from the Navy, and after the death of Higgy, perhaps the Estate/care of it is willed to him by Robin and/or Higgins. Or, if you want to include Higgins in a very limited role due to his disability, include his disability as a reason for his retirng from the Estate...Only to hire Magnum to take his place. If Hillerman is included, could start the series off that way and engage the now older duo in some classic banter, maybe with Higgins saying something along the lines of how he only hired Magnum again because no one else was available. Just classic banter but TM accepts anyway.

Meanwhile, Lily is working for the Navy down in Hawaii herself anyway, so TM moves back in. Could see Magnum taking up some old P.I. work with help from his daughter, or his daughter becoming one herself. Have Magnum be the same guy but take on sort of the Higgins role, in that he's wiser now, he's trying to write HIS memoirs (The Private Investigator's Manual he's always working on) perhaps as well as an aside. Maybe he's retired from the Navy and bored out of his skull anyway. Maybe something from the past resurfaces over the course of a six or ten episode mini series that not only ties father and daughter closer together, but closes the book on some old case(s).
Right on......I have been saying this for a couple of years, get a hot young 30 something to play Lily (my choice has always been Mila Kunis) and the original cast in place as well. This is the only way I see Hollywood green lighting a project now........

Orrymain
Lieutenant Commander

#13 Post by Orrymain »

There are always possibilities. I thought of the Lily angle, too, and how that could be used. I still believe that without Higgens, the show would pale. Some kind of banter needs to be there or it's not Magnum. It would have to be different, though, and more the type of behavior that folks fall into by habit when they return home or see old friends for the first time in years.

Those quotes that may or may not be false about the follow up are often felt by stars of successes. Remember, in show biz, you always want to leave them wanting more. The last thing you want to do is make a movie that either mocks who you were or just doesn't live up to the wonder of the original. I would guess Selleck would be big on that, whether or not the others were.

The thing is, Magnum can't be the Magnum of the series. The whole point of the finale was that the guy finally grew up.

Possibilities, yes, and maybe under the right director with the right writer, something decent could be done. You never know! Like I said, I'd want the whole cast ... even the great-whatever heirs to Zeus and Apollo! <S>

MagnumFan
Captain

#14 Post by MagnumFan »

I think a major part of the reason we haven't seen a revival is because fans seem to want a MOVIE and nothing less. Tom Selleck really has never been a bankable movie star outside of Three Men and A Baby. That's not a knock on him, it's just how things turned out. But, the emphasis has always been on a "MAGNUM, PI MOVIE!". Why not just a mini series, short lived revival?

Orrymain
Lieutenant Commander

#15 Post by Orrymain »

TV movie, yes, theatrical, no. I'm not sure why fans would be after that. Not only is Selleck not a bankable theatrical star, but the premise of the show itself is outside the theatrical scope for the most part. I shudder to think what a studio would insist on inserting into the Magnum story for the sake of a film release.